Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Does your Slingshot make any noises (whining, chirping, ect.) from the rear end? Pick one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since picking up my SL on Saturday the rear end has started making more and more noise to the point that I can't stand it. It's louder than the engine by a factor of x3. It happen all the time when applying any amount of gas.

Do any of the members that have picked theirs up have the same problem and how bad is the noise?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Since picking up my SL on Saturday the rear end has started making more and more noise to the point that I can't stand it. It's louder than the engine by a factor of x3. It happen all the time when applying any amount of gas.

Do any of the members that have picked theirs up have the same problem and how bad is the noise?
Mine does make the same noise and I believe they all will to some extent due to the belt. My Boss Hoss made the chirping and whining noise when the belt wasn't centered perfectly. I haven't attempted to put chap stick or something like that on the side of the belt. It did work for some time on the bike. Don't know if it will go away totally, don't think so.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Have over 500 miles on mine, and it growls and whines in all gears during acceleration. Its soooo bad, I cant hear the radio at speeds under 55mph. Its the growling, and not the whine that is bothering me the most. It makes the driveline sound really cheap ... If I had a small car with that sound, and the dealer told me it was normal, I would burn it..

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I can say that mine also has the same noise. Its extremely loud. And its getting louder. I'm not sure if I want to change to another type of oil such as synthetic because if it is a problem point in the future I don't want them blaming the oil I put in it. Ill drive it till she locks up and slides the back tire I guess. Then we will know exactly what part was defective.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts

Can you get a laser thermometer and log the temps during a ride, see if temp goes up as it gets louder. shoot the tranny, gear box and rear drive.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Mine is nice and quiet, and has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere likely since October.......I've been doing enough whining for the both of us though.

Even if I had mine, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you if it was bad or good. My ability to hear is pretty good so to me it'll probably be loud, which I guess is bad? Then again, I like loud things, so I guess....It'll be good?:confused: Maybe I'll just awkwardly fade myself out if this thread and go back to reading it until I have something relevant to contribute.:brb:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have 118K on my Harley Springer with the original belt & have never experienced any belt noise. I suspect that any Slingshot rear-end- whine would more likely be coming from the right- angle gear drive. I'm having a new muffler installed after the holidays to hopefully cure my metallic vibration between gear shifts. ( Really didn't notice it at 90 mph today.)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Mine is crazy loud. I changed the gear oil to Royal Purple but no help. I put dry silicon spray on the belt with little change but some. I would pay any amount to find a fix, if not it goes on the auction block

·
Registered
760 Posts
Holy old thread Batman.

I just put Redline 90/250 in the angle drive and loosened the belt a bunch, maybe to much, and noise is tolerable. I have not had the belt skip since I loosened it so I guess I'm ok.

LC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts