Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what break pads to replace stock with something that creates much less break dust?

I have noticed my rear break pads create so much break dust. It’s impossible to keep my wheels clean.

Links, please.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Does anyone know what break pads to replace stock with something that creates much less break dust?

I have noticed my rear break pads create so much break dust. It’s impossible to keep my wheels clean.

Links, please.
You need to splurge on carbon ceramic. Very expensive but it will eliminate the dust. You can put carbon ceramic pads on your stock rotors. the now defunct Alpha Power sports used to sell a kit upgrading to slot rotors with carbon ceramic pads. I believe Wildwood and Brembo offer similar upgrades.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Different pads are not going to help much. You will still be kicking up all of the dust and crap from the road.

The best bet, is to take off the rear wheel to clean and wax it real good so stuff doesn't stick to it so bad. Other people have used Pledge to help make it more "slippy" so dust doesn't stick.

Reactions: DKF Texas

·
Registered
589 Posts
Different pads are not going to help much. You will still be kicking up all of the dust and crap from the road.

The best bet, is to take off the rear wheel to clean and wax it real good so stuff doesn't stick to it so bad. Other people have used Pledge to help make it more "slippy" so dust doesn't stick.
Do you think one would need carbon ceramic rotors and pads to eliminate the dust? My Z06 has it and I have little to no brake dust.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I have had three different types of pads on my Slingshot. Having a good clean wheel has by far been the best solution. The rear wheel on a Slingshot holds dust/dirt much differently that a car does because of its placement. And, you see both sides of the wheel.

Reactions: DKF Texas

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to splurge on carbon ceramic. Very expensive but it will eliminate the dust. You can put carbon ceramic pads on your stock rotors. the now defunct Alpha Power sports used to sell a kit upgrading to slot rotors with carbon ceramic pads. I believe Wildwood and Brembo offer similar upgrades.
I am just wanting to replace the rear break pad. The fronts are really good actually. The rear is also treated to be slick and it did not help much at all. All it helped with was easy to spray off with hose. But the dust collects so easily on rear wheel. You can even see it in photos I took yesterday. Uggh.

Do you have any links for a carbon ceramic version to fit stock rotors? Or model number for me to search?

·
Vendor
642 Posts
There is some confusion about ceramic brake pads and carbon ceramic brakes out there, since they sound so similar. Ceramic brake pads have been available for the Slingshot from many different brake manufacturers for a couple years now. Those ceramic pads can be swapped directly into the Slingshot brake system using a cast iron rotor without any issues. The Ceramic compound pads dust just like any other pad as they wear, but because of the compounds that they are made of, the dust is a lighter color and is much less noticeable. The ceramic material also tends to have a good initial bite, but a little lower coefficient of friction, but most customers have reported very favorably with them. Here is a link to the Hawk Ceramic brake pads for the Slingshot -

Slingshot Upgraded Hawk Brake Pads

Here is also an article that talks about the differences between the different pad materials for stock replacements -

Ceramic vs. Metallic Brake Pads | Bridgestone Tires

Carbon ceramic brakes however are a completely different animal and is what is found on a lot of the higher end cars (Porsche GT2, GT3, Audi R8, Bugatti Veyron, etc) these days because of the extreme heat that they can tolerate and big weight savings. Carbon ceramic brakes have a special rotor material and typically special brake pads designed specifically for those rotors. There are some brake pads for carbon ceramic brakes out there that can be used on both iron and ceramic discs, but those tend to be extreme track use pads.

Here is a video showing how Carbon ceramic rotors are made -

There are no Carbon Ceramic brake systems we have seen designed for the Slingshot. The cost for just a 14" rotor made from Carbon Cermic from Wilwood is $2338 and since you need 3 for the Slingshot and the other supporting calipers, brakets, etc. a Carbon Ceramic system would probably cost around $9000.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
589 Posts
There is some confusion about ceramic brake pads and carbon ceramic brakes out there, since they sound so similar. Ceramic brake pads have been available for the Slingshot from many different brake manufacturers for a couple years now. Those ceramic pads can be swapped directly into the Slingshot brake system using a cast iron rotor without any issues. The Ceramic compound pads dust just like any other pad as they wear, but because of the compounds that they are made of, the dust is a lighter color and is much less noticeable. The ceramic material also tends to have a good initial bite, but a little lower coefficient of friction, but most customers have reported very favorably with them. Here is a link to the Hawk Ceramic brake pads for the Slingshot -

Slingshot Upgraded Hawk Brake Pads

Here is also an article that talks about the differences between the different pad materials for stock replacements -

Ceramic vs. Metallic Brake Pads | Bridgestone Tires

Carbon ceramic brakes however are a completely different animal and is what is found on a lot of the higher end cars (Porsche GT2, GT3, Audi R8, Bugatti Veyron, etc) these days because of the extreme heat that they can tolerate and big weight savings. Carbon ceramic brakes have a special rotor material and typically special brake pads designed specifically for those rotors. There are some brake pads for carbon ceramic brakes out there that can be used on both iron and ceramic discs, but those tend to be extreme track use pads.

Here is a video showing how Carbon ceramic rotors are made -

There are no Carbon Ceramic brake systems we have seen designed for the Slingshot. The cost for just a 14" rotor made from Carbon Cermic from Wilwood is $2338 and since you need 3 for the Slingshot and the other supporting calipers, brakets, etc. a Carbon Ceramic system would probably cost around $9000.

Hope that helps,
Dave
I agree, expensive but it can be done. My Z06 system costs $17,500 to replace. I think I will put up with the brake dust.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had three different types of pads on my Slingshot. Having a good clean wheel has by far been the best solution. The rear wheel on a Slingshot holds dust/dirt much differently that a car does because of its placement. And, you see both sides of the wheel.

Wow 3 different versions including the stock? All same result? Was any the HAWK type?

Was the 3rd set a success? What was the result?

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Wow 3 different versions including the stock? All same result? Was any the HAWK type?

Was the 3rd set a success? What was the result?
The bottom line “you will have brake dust”
Ceramic will be less likely to stick...but you will have dust...I also think that there is an air pocket created in that area that facilitates the dust build up...but I’m just a girl...what do I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Stock pads and two different types of Ferrada pads on the Alpha Big Brake Kit.

The autocross pads I've been running are the best performing for me, but are the worst for dust.

Even if you limit the brake dust, you are still going to get road "dust". Maybe a pad change would make you happy, but I doubt you'll see a big difference.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I had sport pads on my stop tech brake kit I just saw they offer a ceramic Street pad with less dust I just ordered hopefully it stops just as good but keeps the wheels cleaner

·
Registered
72 Posts

Try Pedro’s Bike Lust. It’s a favorite in the world of mountain biking for repelling dust.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Links, please.
....ceramics....can hardly see the dust ......but since there manual brakes....you gain a little more stopping power from semi-metalics and even organics

·
Registered
903 Posts
I replaced the stock pads with the NAPA ones. Stock pads were squealing. The guy at the store said these would be quiet and no dust. Well, quiet yes, but dusty as a Mofo!! A turbo guy on the forum I use to be on, turned me on to these cheap Chinese pads!! Practically free on Amazon!! No dust, and quiet. He drives like an animal, so I wasn't concerned about stopping power. Put them on last Spring, and all I clean now is road dust. Not the shitty reddish brown dust like with the others. They are Ceramic.
IMG_0395.jpg

Prime Choice
Model "SCD465A"

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
I use organic brake pads and clean with S100. Organic pads dust more but preserve the rotors and have a very soft, predictable bite. S100 leaves a waxy, slippery coating.

My main issue is road dust on the rims, brake dust on the tires. I coat the tires with a high-gloss, twice, so that mostly solves that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts