Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately i’ve been having a heavy foot and been really pedal to the metal lately. When i say pedal to the metal, i do like a 2-3 second burnout, fast acceleration etc.

My main concern is, is the slingshot built for this kind of abuse? Take it with a grain of salt as my definition of abuse may slightly differ. I feel like i just drive the slingshot harder than most but it has held up EXTREMELY well no issues whatsoever and i do the maintenance on it.

But my main question is, do you guys ever drive the slingshot like an angry teenager? Any issues?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
There are a good number of us out here that have put lots of aggressive miles on our Slingshot with NO problem … personally 87,000 miles, another I know 92,000 miles. Drive it hard, just don't abuse. It's a machine that was meant to be DRIVEN.

·
Registered
825 Posts
No never... I just added the turbo for it's cool factor. I never actually let it spool up and boost.

In all honesty, when I took possession of my 2016 with the 2 year full warranty, I tried to break it. When I was NA... Red-line shifts all the time, aggressive down shifts, doughnuts, long burn outs... Pushing it hard all the time. Not to mention I almost never used 5th gear. 4th is good for up to 110MPH.

Now that I am boosted... Nothing has changed other than I build boost and stay away from red-line. But even more fun now.

Drive it hard and have fun.

·
Registered
155 Posts
well.....finally another hoonigan...I burnout at almost every stop sign....1st gear all burn 2nd gear 4 or 5 feet and 3rd a chirp...I drift it in almost every corner left and rights and had it up to 122mph...been through 2 tires and on my 3rd right now and only 9600 miles on her...how long will it last...idk...having a blast...she's bulletproof so far....enjoy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys for the replies! I appreciate it!! My other ride is a honda suv so when i get into the SS, i let it rip just like @slinghigh , burnout most times from a stop and sometimes rolling burnouts. The slingshot just feels like i have so much control when i do the drifts (TC on of course hehe😬) i always tell myself, ok, not too hard on her today but all that goes out the window after i turn into the main streets lol

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Since I have an aversion to tickets that can increase my insurance costs, I always try to accelerate as quickly as I can w/o having my rear tire slipping/sliding/squealing. I don't like buying new rear tires if I can keep my current tire longer and local LEOs view a sliding/spinning/squealing rear end as reckless operation, especially if the sliding disturbs neighboring vehicles. One of the challenges of fast acceleration with the Slingshot is finding the sweet spot that provides the fastest acceleration while minimizing rear wheel spin, and is something I enjoy trying to achieve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@BKL a cop pulled next to me once, and asked me if i wanted to race. I’m sure he was joking lol but at the same time he had that smile everyone has when they see the SS. Sacramento cops are pretty chill though! I merged into the on ramp with a slight drift, cut into an empty lane and on the fwy at 80+, i saw cop lights, pulled up next to me then just zoomed and he was gone.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
When we returned to the US from my assignment in West Berlin back in 1977, we were visiting my Wife's parents in McAllen, TX and was driving my 1976 Trans Am. As I pulled away from a light, I squealed my tires and was immediately pulled over. That was the cop who warned me about failing to operate my vehicle in a safe manner. No ticket, just a warning. On two wheels, I've also been pulled over here in the Houston area for doing 73-74 mph in a 70 mph zone. I typically set my Slingshot Cruise Control at just under 5 mph over so that I'm not the fastest vehicle out there just to minimize the chances of getting pulled over. I like to accelerate briskly and take pride in accelerating as fast as possible w/o spinning the tire.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Red line is my friend. Rev limiter prevents fatal mistakes and lets you know you were little late on your shift. Running through town at 4,500 rpm is much more aurally satisfying than 2,500. Tickets can usually be avoided with an awareness of nearby traffic and a quick scan of your surroundings. I really believe that the power to weight ratio is perfect for abuse and the rear tire breaking loose is saving wear and tear on the drive train (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). Oh yeah, and I have an F250 Powerstroke to drive around at the speed of slug.

Based on my past, I would say I drive it like a happy teenager (my high school rigs were a '69 Chevelle SS and a '68 LeMans).

Let 'er Rip!

Edit: I just remembered I got my pedal max while out hunting last week. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I mean, that should help my mileage.;)

·
Vendor
601 Posts
So lately i’ve been having a heavy foot and been really pedal to the metal lately. When i say pedal to the metal, i do like a 2-3 second burnout, fast acceleration etc.

My main concern is, is the slingshot built for this kind of abuse? Take it with a grain of salt as my definition of abuse may slightly differ. I feel like i just drive the slingshot harder than most but it has held up EXTREMELY well no issues whatsoever and i do the maintenance on it.

But my main question is, do you guys ever drive the slingshot like an angry teenager? Any issues?

Thanks in advance
If taken care of, the Slingshot seems to hold up very well. Like any vehicle out there, there will be some people that have issues with it, but in general most of our customers seem to have no major issues with theirs.

We have the record for the fastest Slingshot in the standing 1 mile at 157.5mph and reached speeds over 160+mph and ours is holding up great. It obviously is not stock anymore, but it has been very reliable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts