Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Would you wear an Armored Motorcycle vest on a Slingshot?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...my Slingshot came back from a hefty mod job - I'm just doing some final touches with some cosmetic and other small mods, and will be all set for driving.

Matching Helmets...check!

Headsets...check!

GPS...check!

Now...all I need is a matching jacket.

I got a few good contenders that have colors matching my SS, and put one on order - and then...I ran into an armored Motorcycle vest that actually matches my SS as well! It's a beautiful vest.

I wasn't looking for an armored vest - but I fell in love with this thing so much, I'm trying to justify purchasing it.

Are armored motorcycle vests overkill on an open-cockpit vehicle with bucket seats?

I'm no expert on them, but they seem specifically designed for saddle-seats, and I have no recollection of seeing anyone in a Slingshot, or ATV, or any other similar open-cockpit vehicle with bucket-seats, wearing an armored vest. Is that a thing?

Are these vests comfortable when wearing them while seated on bucket seats?

Will I look like a dork? lol

I know I'm considering purchasing the vest for all the wrong reasons, as I wouldn't even think of a vest if it was just a plain black color - but I'm curious to know if there are SS owners that actually wear them, and if the vests are comfortable whilst seated on the SS seats.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I don't feel the armor is needed, but if it looks cool and is comfortable, why not? Plus if anyone says it's weird, just tell them you have an R1 at home and you use the same gear for both. ;)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Totally unnecessary on a Sling but if you like it, go for it. If you love it, why ask? Plenty of us (99.9%) spend unnecessary $ on our toys.

Seems like comfort would be an issue if you're talking about a standard off-road chest protector like I'm thinking...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally unnecessary on a Sling but if you like it, go for it. If you love it, why ask? Plenty of us (99.9%) spend unnecessary $ on our toys.

Seems like comfort would be an issue if you're talking about a standard off-road chest protector like I'm thinking...
Cost is not a factor for me - the vest only runs about a hundred bucks - but if they're physically uncomfortable to wear when seated on a bucket seat, then that's a huge issue for me

See pic below, of what I'm referring to

milvest.PNG

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Why? I mean armor is designed for bikes where if you crash you are going to go for a slide. If you get in a crash with the SS that is so bad the armor is going to help you, it's probably not going to help you. ;-)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why? I mean armor is designed for bikes where if you crash you are going to go for a slide. If you get in a crash with the SS that is so bad the armor is going to help you, it's probably not going to help you. ;-)
I'm really not into it for the protection - I just like its color as it matches my SS. The protection is just a bonus but I wouldn't wear it, if it's at the cost of my comfort in the SS seats

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Agreed, Armored seems like a bit much and that particular one doesnt look like it would be very comfortable sitting in the sling. Get yourself a nice leather jacket to cut down on the wind and call it a day.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I quit wearing a helmet and now just wear a cup and my old mouth guard from my hockey days. :D

I sold my pads, so can't wear them and think the vest pictured above wont do much to warrant the added cost or time to don it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I'm really not into it for the protection - I just like its color as it matches my SS. The protection is just a bonus but I wouldn't wear it, if it's at the cost of my comfort in the SS seats
You live in Hotlanta. Wait until it's 110F and 98% humidity and that armor will be in the trash in 10 seconds. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:( - I remember the good old days when you could expect an interstate road to be free of craters and mountains, appearing right smack in the center of the road. In a span of a month, Atlanta has defied all those expectations...
Reminds me of the Loma Linda earthquakes in California. There you are flying along at 65 MPH on a raised overpass and all the sudden boom - no road under you and 200 feet of airtime before you hit below. Scary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts