Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at the SS. the rear wheel doesnt look proportionate to the back of the vehicle.... IMO a 22x15 with a 405/25-22 or 24 is needed on the back with a double or single sided swingarm.... A buddy of mine buying one and told me thats the first thing he wanted done with FORGIATO's on all 3's..

what size wheel could yall see on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely want a larger tire also, but we have to see what would integrate with there system, or mod there system.
Anything is possible... only thing i can see that would need to be added is the traction control... thats a piece of cake.. The minute i get a hold to one of these... Im gone mass produce a bolt on wide tire kit..

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is obviously the wrong blog to be on to find a tire for my Slingshot now that I have 10,000 miles on it and the tire still has rubber left though I have spun it many many times. I guess the factory rubber must be hard as concrete to last and that is why the tire spins so easily

I am looking to buy a stock size 20 inch tire for the rear that has a little more stickiness than the stock rubber, that's all. As I have said, the stock tire I still have on the rear has just over 10,000 and there is still rubber left. The little bars that run sideways in the tread are almost at the same level as the roundy round tread, so if those side bars are considered to be 'wear bars,' than I am almost there.

Yet, the tire has fairly deep grooves left, so is the tire 'worn out?'

That tire, regardless, has lasted longer than I expected. By using a careful foot on the throttle, I have won EVERY drag race I have gotten into including with some supposedly hot Camaros and Hemi's, but that was only because I did not try them off the line.

I was careful to go off with them in either first or second at around 20 more more, and bye bye hot car up to a point. (red light to red light) Of course I did not try to keep going past 75 or so, because they would have gone bye bye.

(I wonder what a turbo would do for the 70-90 range.)

For those little drags, I want to get a somewhat stickier tire, but I also do not want it to wear out at just...say...3,000. Anyone know what's good out there in STOCK size?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Well I went 20's all around. In the rear I have a 305 yea a little bigger would be nice. But I'm very Happy we with the look

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also went 20's all round and a 345 rear.
Funny thing too....since install the traction light hasn't come on anymore and the rear bearing quit making noise?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mouch, is the rest of your set-up in the rear stock? Shock, link, etc.
I'd like to go with an XO Verona wheel, 20 X 12, with a 345 20 30 tire.
I'm just concerned with clearance on the shock spring.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I posted on here a few months ago (May 2016) that I wanted not a larger or wider tire, but a STICKIER tire. Wondered if anyone
knew anything. Apparently not, as people keep talking like they are in a fantasy world of wider, much wider tires.

Hey, the offset of the drive and that swingarm pretty much negates any mounting of a wider tire. Polaris has just introduced
a model with a slightly wider rear tire, but in order to use it, have to buy their wheel and it is not cheap.

In any case, that tire I said still had rubber left at 10,000? Well, at 12.000 it still had plenty of tread left, but I replaced it
anyhow since I wanted to take the Slingshot on a trip. Then it turned out, soon as I put the new rubber on, the handling
went all kablooey. What the heck? Took it to the dealer and some sensor had gone out, so they had to order it.

So I ended up taking my Victory Octane on the 830 one way plus trip instead of the Slingshot. That was OK cause the Octane is one
hot bike and fun to ride, but when I got to Kansas City, I had no Slingshot with which to give my daughter a ride in.

So back to the tire. I could have gotten I don't know how many more miles out of that tire. Replaced it at over 12.000 before I needed to really
because of a planned 2000 mile round trip and then took another bike.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would worry about a wider tire hydroplaning even more. Maybe the guys with wider tires can chime in on this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
20x12 with stock offset & 345 will clear with stock shock. but with jri and bilstien it will rub the spring. need to flip the shock over (spring up) or a 3mm spacer

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would worry about a wider tire hydroplaning even more. Maybe the guys with wider tires can chime in on this.
I assume that since this is a blog about the single rear tire, that all concerns expressed on here about hydroplaning are also directed at the rear tire.

I have never, in all my years, experienced rear hydroplaning except maybe for one time. I was heading north out of Cheyenne, WY on Interstate 25 and in a rain storm. All of a sudden ON A slightly uphill STRAIGHT STRETCH I found myself tracking to the left, no steering control whatsoever, from the number two lane across the number one lane and almost, almost (WHEW) into the guardrail. Then I regained traction and because I had not turned my steering wheel too far in either direction, I straightened out. Scary to say the least.

I would assume that I had been hydroplaning on all four.

I guess some river had decided to cross the four lane highway from my right to my left about that time.

Now listen, I was not on wide tires. Or wide compared to today's standards. I was in a 1980 Mazda RX7 with one size wider than the factory 1:85X70X13s, running new 1:95X60X14s . Sort of wide in the early 80s but not so wide today.

Now, if a tire that skinny can hydroplane you clear off the road, then certainly wider tires can do it even quicker. Best thing I can say is, keep your tread deep, your water shallow, and be aware that even when you are super alert, on good tires and on a good road, hydroplaning can catch you unaware. Even if it's not raining, you can meet up with water on the road around the next curve.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts