Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After purchasing my sling I noticed a small crack on my driver side where your left arm would rest. Some might even use this as support to get in and out of your sling. Anyways I took mine apart today to find out the cause. It looks like there is a metal bracket underneath that supports the fairing. However the edge of it is sharp so when you put pressure down to get in and out, eventually the sharp edge will cause it to crack. and eventually wear through.

A simple fix would be to get some foam material or rubber material to cover the top side of the metal bracket. I would recommend doing this on both sides, driver and passenger to prevent this from happening.

Below are some pics..

·
Registered
872 Posts
My new one was in the showroom for less than 2 weeks- it had it. When replaces, both the front and back of the bracket had cut into the underside of the colored rear side panel by almost 50% of the total thickness.
(It had the star crack as well. Fix: ground down and beveled all 3 sides of the top of the bracket. Attached 1/8" self adhesive foam to the top of the bracket, and another piece on the inside of the fairing itself, in the correct location.
IMG_6929.JPG
IMG_6927.JPG

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is what I ended up doing to mine..
I removed and filed down the sharp edges.

20160720_133322.jpg

Careful, it is very sharp

20160720_133327.jpg

Than I just built up a pad with black electrical tape.
I guess Velcro or thick rubber would work.

20160720_133727.jpg

20160720_133733.jpg

This did help but look what was on the 2015's. I think this was done to save weight.

20160716_105453.jpg

They are replacing my left wing tomorrow

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yeah, mine had the same star on the DS. Too many people going in and out of it during the short time it was on the showroom floor.

Poor design and Polaris will be replacing mine too. I took an autobody panel flanger (vice-grip with funky jaws meant to flare body panels) and flanged down the ends of the mount. After that I put on a strip of aluminized HVAC insulation to the top to shield the panel from the mount.

Certainly not perfect but better than what it came with.

The factory mount is sharp and unforgiving (as stated above) - no surprise to me that the panels are having starbursts around the edges of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine has the same crack developing. I am wondering if I should mess with it myself or bring it to the dealer. My crack is about the same size as the first picture. 2016.5 four months old and 1600 miles.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Mine has the same crack developing. I am wondering if I should mess with it myself or bring it to the dealer. My crack is about the same size as the first picture. 2016.5 four months old and 1600 miles.
My advice: Fix the root issue (which the dealer isn't going to do) and then have the panel warrantied. If you don't fix the root cause, it's just going to happen again and (throwing out an educated guess here) the second time Polaris is going to say "We've already replaced it once - you are doing something wrong". ;-)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im guessing before anyone realizes they probably use that area to put pressure to get in and out.. ever since i saw the crack i figured a new way to get in and out bracing myself

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
im guessing before anyone realizes they probably use that area to put pressure to get in and out.. ever since i saw the crack i figured a new way to get in and out bracing myself
Agree 100%. Problem is the way the mount is designed, it's a problem waiting to happen.

I grab the roll hoop but it's obvious the 15 people that climbed in and out of my SS during the week it was in the showroom.... didn't.

Good ideas above to solve it, for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My advice: Fix the root issue (which the dealer isn't going to do) and then have the panel warrantied. If you don't fix the root cause, it's just going to happen again and (throwing out an educated guess here) the second time Polaris is going to say "We've already replaced it once - you are doing something wrong". ;-)
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was always very careful getting in and out of mine. last week when I was at the dealer two morons decided to climb in mine sitting out front while I was at the parts counter. guess what now I have the same star crack on my drivers side. didn't realize it until I got home, bottom line even being careful this will still happen if you don't correct the cause

·
Registered
424 Posts
looks like more warranty work for Polaris. Now I've got to check mine. I just want to ride it, not always fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It happened to mine as well. I literally had it for 4 hours before noticing it. Polaris said they will replace it once as a goodwill gesture and told me that I can't use that as a support to get in or out. Sad.

I haven't taken the panel off to see what was under there, but I was wondering if putting some spray foam (Great Stuff) in the panel to make it stronger would help. Again, I would need to see what I am dealing with underneath, but the foam can be shaped.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeah, mine had the same star on the DS. Too many people going in and out of it during the short time it was on the showroom floor.

Poor design and Polaris will be replacing mine too. I took an autobody panel flanger (vice-grip with funky jaws meant to flare body panels) and flanged down the ends of the mount. After that I put on a strip of aluminized HVAC insulation to the top to shield the panel from the mount.

Certainly not perfect but better than what it came with.

The factory mount is sharp and unforgiving (as stated above) - no surprise to me that the panels are having starbursts around the edges of them.
I also have a star...it was there when I bought it off of medsker before he went to Australia ...thanks medsker I love it.....anyways I also bent it down a little and slid some cut high density foam from a furniture slider from the $1 store....little bit of gorilla snot....seems to have helped...as I push on it sometimes and it hasn't got bigger...I will say that owning this sling does keep me busy since I've retired....in a good way

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I also have a star...it was there when I bought it off of medsker before he went to Australia ...thanks medsker I love it.....anyways I also bent it down a little and slid some cut high density foam from a furniture slider from the $1 store....little bit of gorilla snot....seems to have helped...as I push on it sometimes and it hasn't got bigger...I will say that owning this sling does keep me busy since I've retired....in a good way
Polaris will warranty the part one time if you are under warranty still

Search for "star" here and you can see the various fixes we've come up with, which are not too different than what you did.

I bent the corners of the poorly designed bracket down and wrapped the whole top of the bracket in aluminum faced super sticky rubber backed roofing stuff (ingenious stuff actually) and have had no issues.

Additionally I warn people I take as passengers not to sit their fat ass on the panel when they get in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After purchasing my sling I noticed a small crack on my driver side where your left arm would rest. Some might even use this as support to get in and out of your sling. Anyways I took mine apart today to find out the cause. It looks like there is a metal bracket underneath that supports the fairing. However the edge of it is sharp so when you put pressure down to get in and out, eventually the sharp edge will cause it to crack. and eventually wear through.

A simple fix would be to get some foam material or rubber material to cover the top side of the metal bracket. I would recommend doing this on both sides, driver and passenger to prevent this from happening.

Below are some pics..

Thanks for the info and instructions, just took care of mine looks like dealer had already filed worst of edges down on mine when panels were replaced, but I still found one sharp edge and added the padding, so hope all will be well now thanks again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts