Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Disassembly

Tags
body work
8K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  BKL 
#1 ·
Does disassembly and re-assembly of the Slingshot body parts require an unusual amount of skill, training, and experience?
Thank you.

#6 ·
Unfortunately, @Joker is all too correct. Polaris seems to have chosen a very weak form of cheese for almost all of its fasteners.
Always start all screws/bolts manually to have the best chance of avoiding cross-threading the fasteners. Once safely started, it's OK to use an impact driver or other power fastener, but I'd recommend keeping it on its slower speeds.

#7 ·
I agree with BKL except for the screws holding the black hood inserts. Manual all the way on these and when reinstalling, tighten just till they seat.... 1/4 turn too far and insert guides will break off!

#10 ·
Another thing I will add is get yourself a good set of panel removal tools.

I can personally recommend this:

Amazon.com: 13 Pc Steel and Nylon Auto Trim Door Panel Window Molding Upholstery Clip Removal Tool Kit Prylon: Automotive

They have been invaluable not only for the SS, but my other vehicles. The right tool makes it so much easier. For instance the push/pull pins you will see all over - you can take them out with a screwdriver but doesn't work near as well as the proper tool to get behind the head and pop them out.

My .02

#13 ·
#14 ·
#16 ·
@fuddydud , if you are going to attempt it, PM me and I can walk you through it. I've taken apart 26 of them so far.
Pretty basic disassembly, just keep your bolts, screws and push pins separated to speed reassembly. Nothing difficult really if you have the tools.

#17 ·
Personally, I like the looks of the Universal Wing @RedSling is thinking about using. While I would be reluctant to drill the steel tubing that provides most of the Slingshot's frame, since the rear structure is primarily aluminum, drilling that to attach a sheet of aluminum or angle aluminum should not be a problem. I'd also worry about a Wing interfering w/my TD Top or access to my gas tank opening.

#19 ·
Another thing I will add is get yourself a good set of panel removal tools.

I can personally recommend this:

Amazon.com: 13 Pc Steel and Nylon Auto Trim Door Panel Window Molding Upholstery Clip Removal Tool Kit Prylon: Automotive

They have been invaluable not only for the SS, but my other vehicles. The right tool makes it so much easier. For instance the push/pull pins you will see all over - you can take them out with a screwdriver but doesn't work near as well as the proper tool to get behind the head and pop them out.

My .02
rhanks I just put a set in my cart.(i just bought 2 more tool chests on black friday and need to fill them lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.