Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Ive reached my frustration point with the always dirty body area behind rear wheel. There is just so much cleaning Im prepared to do and I readily admit that my SS is always clean especially when compared to my Mini Cooper.

It was one of those 3:00AM moments that I came upon a solution using "stuff" that was already in my shop.

I took a left over piece of mirrored plexiglass and after making a paper template, cut it to fit directly behind the rear wheel. Using heavy duty Velcro, I attached the plexi to the rear body.

Not sure how long the plexi will survive but the cost was virtually nothing and it does look cool. Ill let everyone know if and when it fails.

Ride Safe!

Barry

Attachments

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Early on I got a rear hugger fender --- to help keep things clean and to cut down on the water from the 'rooster tail'. Little costly but I also have 70,000 miles on my Slingshot and it has helped to keep me clean and dry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
EjFord........I have a hugger fender on order glad to see you have 70000 miles in it no problems with the mounting
brackets or the eyes on the side of the fender that the supports bolt to?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
@RedSling I have a fender that is no longer made. It does do what I wanted it to do. 'clean and dry'

For mine there was no need to drill or relocate. All of them are slightly different as to installation. Hope the one you are getting does what you want.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,158 Posts
Looks to me its in front of the rear wheel, not behind it. You might look into a rear mud flap to keep rocks and dirt from being tossed onto your angle drive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the problem and in the rain dirt and grit was thrown up to the rear center fin. When I had the Corbin bags installed , that problem went away, the SS looks better and much more storage.

Regards,
Viper

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't have a problem with that area. I don't know how the War Department washes it back there but she does an excellent job. She usually does the wash job right after she finishes mowing the lawn.
:happy:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have let my guard down on cleaning my sling....and found that I have been enjoying her a lot more....just spray her down and 303/pledge her down real quick...total 30 min.....once a week....what a relief it is not to have her perfect...at 61yrs old just want to enjoy....but that plexi-glass looks awesome and I think it will help...don't know if I can cut the arc for coilover….might have to delete that but I like...thanks for idea

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have let my guard down on cleaning my sling....and found that I have been enjoying her a lot more....just spray her down and 303/pledge her down real quick...total 30 min.....once a week....what a relief it is not to have her perfect...at 61yrs old just want to enjoy....but that plexi-glass looks awesome and I think it will help...don't know if I can cut the arc for coilover….might have to delete that but I like...thanks for idea

I can relate to the cleaning issue.

Its been a week since I installed the mirrored Lucite and have driven appx 300 miles on local streets, 95 and the FL Turnpike (at time speeds, well I leave it to your imagination) and can report the Lucite is no worse for wear. I deliberately drove through areas with dirt, pebbles and rocks.

There are no chips or cracks (much to my surprise)! Water spots, yes but no noticeable wear.

Getting the size right.

First I took a large piece of paper and cut it down to 11.5 in x 22 in. Using Blue painters tape, I attached it to the sling and traced the arc for the rear shock with a pencil. I made a few minor adjustments to the paper template (reduced the width & length by appx .5 in each). Your results may vary.

I traced the paper template onto the Lucite.

For the width & length I used a table saw. For the curved portion, I used a Jig saw with a plexiglass blade.

Attaching the Lucite to the Sling.

I first washed the sling panel with Formula 409 but any heavy duty cleaner will do. After it was completely dry I wiped it down with alcohol .
I then wiped the back of the plexi with alcohol.

Using Velcro, I attached the panel to the Sling.

Cutting tips:

1) Spray the Lucite with liberal amounts of water to keep the blade cool and avoid melting the plexiglass

2) Cut the plexi. at a constant medium pace. Run the Jig saw at medium speed. Make sure to keep moving.

Hope this helps.

Ride Safe
Barry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts