Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just passing time and was wondering how many of you folks are using DI-LECTRIC grease when you work on your connectors for your mods? thanks..:) for me i do ...

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
So just passing time and was wondering how many of you folks are using DI-LECTRIC grease when you work on your connectors for your mods? thanks..:) for me i do ...
We use it on everything we do and all of our installs, especially the off road stuff. Nice extra measure of protection for no extra effort. Win / Win

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Harley-Davidson sells this as "bulb grease," or for you younger guys who like to use big words, "Electrical Contact Lubricant" P/N 99861-02. Dialectic grease an insulator, and shouldn't be used in excess, although using a reasonable amount in electrical connections can help prevent corrosion. It does introduce resistance into the circuit (painful to watch demonstration video), but so does corrosion, the end result being ten years from now the properly greased connection will still have about the same resistance, but the corroded connection will have stopped working and need replacement.

The cheapest grease that the Underground Testing Initiative has found is Sil-Glyde Lubricating Compound from American Grease Stick. Yes, it's safe for use with condoms too...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used dielectric grease on wire harness connections, which corroded inside the harness after 6 months and caused intermittent contact and connection problems.
Royal pain in the ass... That's just my experience. I wouldn't use it again. I don't know about sil glyde.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts