Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Common Concerns/ Questions for Polaris

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Unfortunately, the "No Good" term they are using is "It's a sucky antenna, but not a broken one". Therefore it isn't something to be replaced by the warranty. I will know more once I talk to the tech again...going on 5 hours waiting now...
Man....I would still argue that point with them. They're not going to be able to stand on "sucky." The fact is, they sold you an antenna and the expectation is that it functions as an antenna should. If it doesn't function, it IS broken whether or not it's in two or more pieces. If I sold TV's to people and they returned them because the audio only worked intermittently, I couldn't just say, "Yeah it's sucky but not broken." If it doesn't work as it should, it's broken. PERIOD.....SL buyers paid quite enough extra money for that sound system. It not being dialed in and functioning perfectly is inexcusable, and at the very least should be remedied for free with an apology for your inconvenience. If it doesn't work out at your dealer level, I would voice a complaint to Polaris Customer Service. 1-800-765-2747 and demand to speak with a manager in the resolutions department.

I did this and received the runaround a few times, but when I FINALLY reached someone in management in the right department, they took care of my issue (unrelated to yours.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had my deposit refunded before the initial shipments hit the dealers. I've since taken a couple of test rides and was thinking of getting back in. The discussions about RPM flares have put the brakes on that. As reported by several owners, this directly impacts product safety. I'll be watching closely to see if/when/how this gets resolved before committing to ownership.

Secondary concern: heat in the cockpit. I live in the desert -- don't want to drive in 90+ temperatures with the Slingshot throwing additional heat on me.
It's hot and I'm in Florida, I purchased the base model and wish I would have waited, they need to fix this. If you are not driving at 50mph you will sweat! I took it out last night and it's just to hot at low speeds!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Unfortunately, the "No Good" term they are using is "It's a sucky antenna, but not a broken one". Therefore it isn't something to be replaced by the warranty. I will know more once I talk to the tech again...going on 5 hours waiting now...
now that's the Polaris attitude they are famous for! They're great at word games. Sure starts to narrow down the REAL coverage one can expect from the 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I wonder if that reflash is the one @Wriggly received from his dealer?
Nah...not likely. After all, another member here on the forum said it couldn't be so, because his dealer said so.

It's just not possible that the investment group that sold me mine....the same group that's opening 18 dealerships might have a little clout and maybe a couple of their customers were chosen as early beta testers for a new flash, to see if it works or not.

Nah, it was just a figment of my imagination, and the biological content of my Slingshot is pretty high. It healed itself. Hallelujah.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a "good" update for everyone!
  1. Polaris is well aware of the RPM flare and stutter issues. They classify it as "Hanging RPMs". The root cause of this issue is with the ECU and Throttle Body. They are engineering an ECU flash which should be available "in the near future" and that should solve the issue.
  2. Hood Latch - The dealer can make a simple adjustment to fix this. If you have this issue, take it to a dealer and they will fix it under coverage of the warranty
  3. Storage Container Locks - The issue here is that the locks themselves rotate. Again, the dealer can address this quickly.
  4. Steering Wheel Alignment - The issue here is based on the "tow" of the steering column. The dealer can align this fairly quickly.
  5. Infotainment Center - Sadly...Polaris is aware of this and say "The antenna is not good. It is likely that there will be an aftermarket antenna available in the future which can fix the inability to pick up channels". The estimate for this is $150, per my dealer. This...SUCKS. Complete bullsh*t. Essentially, if you want music...connect your phone.
  6. Brake Failure Light - This can be caused by any of the following issues (The dealer is currently test riding my SS in order to attempt to trip the code again):
    • Brake fluid "sloshing" around and tripping the sensor
    • Resting your foot on the brake pedal for a prolonged period of time without pressing the peddle down
    • ???
Thank you very very much for the info. My main concern is the rev hang which I can't seem to get any help or answers from the dealers.

·
Registered
255 Posts
About the heat; I'm currently working on a simple fix that blocks the hot engine air from passing into the driver's foot well. I'm in Florida and I drive this to and from work on a daily basis right now, so I know how hot it can get. I'm pretty sure that the issue of heat isn't radiant heat, but just the hot air rushing in the giant holes around the foot controls and the back side of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
201 Posts
About the heat; I'm currently working on a simple fix that blocks the hot engine air from passing into the driver's foot well. I'm in Florida and I drive this to and from work on a daily basis right now, so I know how hot it can get. I'm pretty sure that the issue of heat isn't radiant heat, but just the hot air rushing in the giant holes around the foot controls and the back side of the steering wheel.
Thank you for the hours your putting in to come up with a solution. I will be interested to know what you come up with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the low stutter, feels like its going to cut out when backing up or just taking off, really bad backing up. Also, my radio has issues, can we add that to the voting buttons? It is not the antenna, as it does it with the USB plugged in too, it has frequent scratching noises, awful.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Mine stuttered just about every time I was coming to a stop and shifted from 2nd to first. Just put 30 miles on it since the recall shifting trying to make it stutter and the stutter is gone. I assume they replaced the switch but I did not ask. It was on a list of things for them to do when I took it in for the recall. Steering is very stiff but I am getting used to it. WHAT A BLAST TO DRIVE!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I have the low stutter, feels like its going to cut out when backing up or just taking off, really bad backing up. Also, my radio has issues, can we add that to the voting buttons? It is not the antenna, as it does it with the USB plugged in too, it has frequent scratching noises, awful.
Sure I can add radio problems to the list but I've given up hope that Polaris is going to communicate with us, it's been just about 4 months since I posted this and longer than that since the forum has gotten a "team update" from them. I wouldn't expect any more of those either.
Sorry man, don't know what I said but I'll stay the hell off your thread.

Hope you get what you want from Polaris.
@Otter, I'm ready for you to shove my pleases wherever you'd like

·
Registered
231 Posts
My dealer says the antenna and parts for my SS are of course all backordered. I also noticed now that the weather and sun are out that my paint on my hood is horrible and VERY poor. The hood has swirl markings all over in the paint and blotches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So being the first year model do you think with all these issues they will release a possible "Gen 2" version with fixes and repairs to all these issues? Will 2016 models have all the issues resolved that many people are experiencing now? How will this impact the resale and trade-in values for the first year models? Granted we all know they will depreciate in value once you drive them off the lot, but if the issues continue and Polaris takes months/years to fix them won't that destroy the market/value of them also?
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I really hope these issues are addressed in the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I really hope these issues are addressed in the 2nd gen.
I was all ready to trash talk Polaris when I finally got my 3/15 build SL but it is obvious that Polaris has addressed many of the issues. The cosmetics were perfect on mine and the major ECU problems appear to be fixed. There are other problems (like the suspension setup and the terrible throttle ergonomics) but these are easy and cheap to correct.

I just think it's a bit cheesy of Polaris not to acknowledge the problems and fix at least the ones that cost them virtually nothing to do. And I'll never forgive them for forcing me to buy that crappy radio for $2000.00 just to get red paint.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was all ready to trash talk Polaris when I finally got my 3/15 build SL but it is obvious that Polaris has addressed many of the issues. The cosmetics were perfect on mine and the major ECU problems appear to be fixed. There are other problems (like the suspension setup and the terrible throttle ergonomics) but these are easy and cheap to correct.

I just think it's a bit cheesy of Polaris not to acknowledge the problems and fix at least the ones that cost them virtually nothing to do. And I'll never forgive them for forcing me to buy that crappy radio for $2000.00 just to get red paint.
That puts things in a little different perspective for me; it's good to know they have addressed the issues. Is there anyway to know what build date has these issues fixed? I test drove one this weekend and put a deposit for an SL, that would come in early June. After reading everyone talk about how the $2000 radio and back up camera are junk, I decided to look for a base mode. I found a dealer a little further away with a base model, and I'm tempted to buy it this week. I want it so bad, but I'm on the fence!

Still worried about the cock pit heat and the rev problem though.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Polaris has addressed many of the issues.
That puts things in a little different perspective for me; it's good to know they have addressed the issues.
Not to sound nit-picky, but until Polaris addresses the issues retroactively with current owners, they have not yet fully addressed the issues. Many people are being patient, I know (and have to keep reminding myself) that the wheels turn slowly. It doesn't feel good to hear that dealers and customer service reps throw out words like "normal" when referring to the ECU while making corrections to later built models. It makes me feel like they're going to ignore my potential issues rather than communicate that they have a fix coming.

I'll be picking up my SS half way across the country and driving it back. I have a December built model. Good thing I joined AAA. :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That puts things in a little different perspective for me; it's good to know they have addressed the issues. Is there anyway to know what build date has these issues fixed? I test drove one this weekend and put a deposit for an SL, that would come in early June. After reading everyone talk about how the $2000 radio and back up camera are junk, I decided to look for a base mode. I found a dealer a little further away with a base model, and I'm tempted to buy it this week. I want it so bad, but I'm on the fence!

Still worried about the cock pit heat and the rev problem though.
There is no way to know when Polaris implements any of the fixes. They won't even acknowledge that there IS a fix or that one is needed..

I guess they assume that you are stuck with their dealer network and sooner or later you will get some of the updates (like the ECU) during service. But SK is right, that is not an adequate way to address the problems of earlier customers.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
....After reading everyone talk about how the $2000 radio and back up camera are junk, I decided to look for a base mode. I found a dealer a little further away with a base model, and I'm tempted to buy it this week. I want it so bad, but I'm on the fence! Still worried about the cock pit heat and the rev problem though.
The factory AM/FM stereo/Weather/Bluetooth/USB works okay. The software is randomly glitchy, but pretty stable. There are a few bugs, such as it recognizes Bluetooth Driving Mode but mutes the audio. Some Bluetooth things are missing, such as tapping (+) skips to the next song, (-) re-starts the song, (- -) usually goes to the previous song, (- - -) does the same as (- -), holding +/- doesn't Fast-Forward/Rewind it skips forward/backward by songs but does not display the progress, so it's pretty useless. The antenna is between poor and useless, depending. The speakers are okay, nothing fantastic, don't expect any sort of bass, in fact if you want any sort of decent volume the base has to be set to -6 (lowest). The speaker housings are quite good. The volume can be set to vary with the speed of the vehicle, this works exceedingly well, in fact it's the best I've seen. "Random" might work with Apple but does not work with Android. USB mode now works with sub-folders, all songs are considered in a top-level folder (no folder navigation), but at least they're all found. MP3 works okay (no processing so drum cymbals can sound verrrry harsh--like a speaker (driver) blew), WAV is usually playable. Somehow it has "night mode"--there's no "off" although the software can turn the unit off if it decided to (shows "Radio off" on the screen), generally one hits "Mute" and the screen shows "Muted" except in "night mode" where the screen shows the descriptions found on the outer plate (very cool). The word "Muted" is always in the same position, so the screen will probably suffer from burn-in after a period of usage. Having music is great when I'm stuck in traffic, it would be great at the beach but people mob the vehicle so there's no point in playing music with all the talking going on. The vehicle battery runs down fairly quickly (even in auxiliary mode), so the stereo is usable only when the vehicle's engine is running.

The backup camera is okay. It is not high contrast, so is not that useful if the sun is behind the vehicle. The screen is small and low-resolution, and the lens is wide-angle (fish-eye), so it's hard to see details unless the object is fairly close (leaving the camera on does not work as a rear-view mirror). The guide lines (goal-posts) are static, so turning the wheel doesn't change the guide lines to show the path the vehicle will take. The backup camera system generally works pretty well, especially since turning around and looking over one's shoulder is pretty useless.

The larger wheels look great and ride well, that's really where the SL and SL Limited shine.

Everything fits in pretty well if you figure the vehicle is an affordable pre-assembled kit car. We definitely love the vehicle regarding it as a whole package. Wheel alignment is still an issue for dealers without a laser system, and if anything is not what you want (like actual antenna reception), Polaris is letting you figure out a solution on your dime. You will want to install the swing-arm flap and transmission bell cover, those are a must. The rest is gravy.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts