Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This dealer in Arizona is advertising the SL for only $22,499... I also notice the VIN ends with 844, which, (I think) is the number in succession from the first.

http://www.ridenowpeoria.com/New-Inventory-2015-Polaris-V15YW36NS-Tempe-Arizona-910478
Stan,
That's interesting. I don't think the dealer is advertising a SS. Must be another product. But if it is a SS and assuming the VIN is valid. How did the dealer get a VIN? Did the dealer receive a unit or receive notification that it was being shipped to him?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting that my dealer is no longer posting the price of the SS on their website. He says "call for pricing". I wonder if he is going to raise the price now? The price was listed in the past.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Econ 101 will be in play here on pricing. But it is revealing that there is a $2K markup on the SS and a $3.5K markup on the SL.
You have to ask why dealers pad shipping ($1K) and "prep/assembly" $.5K on top of that!
The question is will that hold 8 months from now or become even more extortionary?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to be picky but its a $2457 mark up on the SL. I got the dealers cost awhile ago from a reliable source and they were not exactly these numbers but close. I think charging MSRP is fair considering the start up cost for the dealers to even carry the SS's to begin with. What I don't think is fair are the a-hole dealers that charge a premium over MSRP or raping folks on the delivery. I think that once the dealers make up their initial outlay of money, they will start being more reasonable on what they charge. I'm ok with paying MSRP for being the first kid on the block to have a new toy buts its just nice to know around what the dealers are paying

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was in the computer retail business a long time ago and it's extremely tough. The markup doesn't seem bad to me at all especially if your buying it from a dealer that provides good support.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sorry to be picky but its a $2457 mark up on the SL. I got the dealers cost awhile ago from a reliable source and they were not exactly these numbers but close. I think charging MSRP is fair considering the start up cost for the dealers to even carry the SS's to begin with. What I don't think is fair are the a-hole dealers that charge a premium over MSRP or raping folks on the delivery. I think that once the dealers make up their initial outlay of money, they will start being more reasonable on what they charge. I'm ok with paying MSRP for being the first kid on the block to have a new toy buts its just nice to know around what the dealers are paying
Ooops....thank you for correcting my kindergarten math.
I agree that the market will prevail. And I concur that the dealers bear significant start up costs and need to cover those costs as any business does.
Most of all, I appreciate knowing the dealer invoices and thank you big time for that.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was in the computer retail business a long time ago and it's extremely tough. The markup doesn't seem bad to me at all especially if your buying it from a dealer that provides good support.
Dealer support will certainly be a question for many SS purchasers.
I am anticipating that Polaris has done some due diligence sorting out the 'wheat from the chaff'.... but only time will tell. There will, unfortunately, be some that fall through the cracks and fail their customers post purchase.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately my dealer hasn't given me the warm fuzzies so far. Time will tell as to his good support in the future

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I've always wondered about those "dealer invoice" numbers you get on line.

Think about this. Some guys are saying they got OTD at MSRP. Add tax, title, tag and reasonable shipping cost to that "dealer invoice" number and the conclusion would be that the dealer is breaking even or losing money on every sale.

I guess they make it up in volume... :eek: o_O

·
Registered
9 Posts
lufkin power sports TX gave me a drive out quote of: $26,609.25 for the SL, they are asking $1,000 refundable deposit. I'm #2 but they are only getting 2 SL's and one of them must be a display so I'm getting the second shipment. Not too bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts