Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Kip and all the dealers out there...

After reading through many posts and comments I couldn't help but see some confusion on the accessories for the SS. There are warranty differences between items installed by the factory or installed by a dealer (looking at you interior light kit) as well as if an item can/will be installed by the factory or the dealer (looking at you wind screen).

Question 1:
When dealers placed orders did they specify options that the depositor (us) requested or will the options be added once the vehicle hits the dealership?

Question 2:
If the dealer installs the option does the new owner/depositor get the take-offs? What if the factory installs them? (i.e. I added the SL wheels to the base SS - do I get both sets of wheels/tires upon delivery?)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Question 1:
When dealers placed orders did they specify options that the depositor (us) requested or will the options be added once the vehicle hits the dealership?
All of the SSes are shipped without any non-factory components, meaning any accessories are billed to the vehicle and installed by the dealer once they receive them (ie: there is no light kit that will arrive with your SS, it's likely your dealer has one or will have one in stock by the time your vehicle arrives, though).

Question 2:
If the dealer installs the option does the new owner/depositor get the take-offs? What if the factory installs them? (i.e. I added the SL wheels to the base SS - do I get both sets of wheels/tires upon delivery?)
As a vehicle owner, you have the right to have any parts returned to you from the service shop, unless they are required to be kept for warranty repair work. If you ordered the wheels already, the dealership may buy them back from you, or you may purchase the new set and keep the old one, but they will not be built to the SS when it arrives, unfortunately.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, as with the light kit, there is no "2 year warranty" because it is "factory installed' vs the 1 year dealer installed warranty?

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a vehicle owner, you have the right to have any parts returned to you from the service shop, unless they are required to be kept for warranty repair work. If you ordered the wheels already, the dealership may buy them back from you, or you may purchase the new set and keep the old one, but they will not be built to the SS when it arrives, unfortunately.
So to be clear, the price of the wheels (for example) is for the full set of wheels and tires - NOT the price to upgrade from the base wheels and tires to the SL ones (like regular automobile options)?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So, as with the light kit, there is no "2 year warranty" because it is "factory installed' vs the 1 year dealer installed warranty?
Right, like the infotainment kit and premium wheels are factory installed by Polaris on the SL so those fall under the more broad warranty. Just about anything else is considered a Pure Polaris part and falls under those warranties, like the light kits, since Polaris has only boxed and sent these to dealers.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So to be clear, the price of the wheels (for example) is for the full set of wheels and tires - NOT the price to upgrade from the base wheels and tires to the SL ones (like regular automobile options)?
In the case of our dealer, we would buy them back from you, or give you a credit toward your next wheels, if you did not want to keep the stock wheels.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, like the infotainment kit and premium wheels are factory installed by Polaris on the SL so those fall under the more broad warranty. Just about anything else is considered a Pure Polaris part and falls under those warranties, like the light kits, since Polaris has only boxed and sent these to dealers.
Thank you for the clarification.

That's an interesting distinction when folks are considering an SL model or the Base SS with all SL options. If you go the base model route you will end up with an extra set of wheels and tires (offsetting the additional out-the-door cost) though you lose warranty on the infotainment center (I assume the dealer installed infotainment system warranty will be less than the factory warranty).

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thank you for the clarification.

That's an interesting distinction when folks are considering an SL model or the Base SS with all SL options. If you go the base model route you will end up with an extra set of wheels and tires (offsetting the additional out-the-door cost) though you lose warranty on the infotainment center (I assume the dealer installed infotainment system warranty will be less than the factory warranty).
Yes. And for the people who are new to powersports, for example, which is a market Polaris naturally wants to break into, if you assembled a quote from the Polaris Slingshot site, on the surface it looks like any car customization, but take the base model, and add the premium wheel kit as an option, and the calculator will add $1,899.99 to the total price of the vehicle, without removing the value of the stock wheels.
If you're not paying attention, it might only look like it upgraded the wheels, but the stock wheels still remain on the quote sheet at a price of $0.00.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kip (or anyone with access to the dealer info)

Do you have any idea if the connectors and wiring for the infotainment / backup camera are present in the base model? If I buy the infotainment kit for my base model will I be stripping off body work to route a new wiring harness or will I just pop off a plate and plug into existing connectors?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Kip (or anyone with access to the dealer info)

Do you have any idea if the connectors and wiring for the infotainment / backup camera are present in the base model? If I buy the infotainment kit for my base model will I be stripping off body work to route a new wiring harness or will I just pop off a plate and plug into existing connectors?
I'm almost positive the wiring harness and connectors for something like the infotainment kits is already there, or the kit will include the necessary components. You shouldn't have to drill new holes into the bodywork of the SS for example to do wiring.

Remember: the base model and the SL are essentially the same vehicle with some differing paint and accessories, and these components can be swapped between either model.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Kip, I'm getting the base with all opts., another guy wanted the SL with no opts. In other words "color change". My dealer said when they come in, he was going to which body colors and seats. I pay for the SL, other guy pays for base. Does that sound right or is he pulling my leg?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Based on a quick look the service information videos that David Saling kindly posted (http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/slingshot-service-training-videos.1007/#post-18570), it certainly looks like the wiring harness on both the base & SL models are the same. In one of the 'walkaround' vids, the presenter even points out the wiring harness for the backup camera is in place. I suspect you'd be good to go having all the accesories wiring in place on the base model. In addition, from a production cost point of view, it can actually be more expensive having separate lines for the 'core' components (frame, engine, transmission, electrics, etc.) than it would be to duplicate these key areas for all models. Final production would be where the likes of different wheels, body panels, etc. would be fitted based on orders and / or inventory needs.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Kip, I'm getting the base with all opts., another guy wanted the SL with no opts. In other words "color change". My dealer said when they come in, he was going to which body colors and seats. I pay for the SL, other guy pays for base. Does that sound right or is he pulling my leg?
If he's not charging you anything else for the fairing swap, basically just the price of an SL, I think that's a good deal.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, that's what he said so... time will tell
The VINs indicate the model, correct? So you should actually get the benefit of "factory installed" options - meaning you get full 2 year unlimited mileage warranty coverage - but with the Gray color.

Sounds like this is better than getting a base SS and having the SL options added. Looks like you will be a lucky SS owner Shat. One of the few "True" Gray SL's ever made. Might want to keep the paperwork just in case you want to sell this SS at Barret Jackson's 2054 Scottsdale Auction. ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The VINs indicate the model, correct? So you should actually get the benefit of "factory installed" options - meaning you get full 2 year unlimited mileage warranty coverage - but with the Gray color.

Sounds like this is better than getting a base SS and having the SL options added. Looks like you will be a lucky SS owner Shat. One of the few "True" Gray SL's ever made. Might want to keep the paperwork just in case you want to sell this SS at Barret Jackson's 2054 Scottsdale Auction. ;)
yeh right! with the mileage I plan on putting on this thing, not sure what it will be worth when I'm done

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm almost positive the wiring harness and connectors for something like the infotainment kits is already there, or the kit will include the necessary components. You shouldn't have to drill new holes into the bodywork of the SS for example to do wiring.

Remember: the base model and the SL are essentially the same vehicle with some differing paint and accessories, and these components can be swapped between either model.
I had an ah-ha moment with this cubby on the base model:

393-1411344157-37786a443e3575d0c9de554a9254602d.jpg

Is the trim on the outside removable when the infotainment kit is installed, or do you indeed need to tap screw holes?

I'm almost certain the plate is removable, and that there are correctly aligned screw holes for the infotainment kit under, but it did get me wondering.
According to the fiche depiction of the dash, the SL has a different dash plate that fits in place of infotainment screen when installed, but nothing really depicts a pre-drilled part for the installed kit.

The infotainment assembly indicates a mount plate with the appropriate holes, but gives no indication whether something like this exists already in base models, but I assume would only exist in SLs and kits.

I'll impart more as I get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You da man. Would love to get your insight on how easy or hard it is to add the infotainment kit yourself.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It looks like the cubby snaps into place and its flange covers the screw holes for the infotainment plate.

The Slingshot script size it different between the two so the whole cubby (flange and all) comes out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts