Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Content under review with the person posting it.
Last week my ss's gas pedal went dead..It happened going around a blind turn and I almost got rear ended! I was able to get to the side of the road safety. I restarted and it worked fine but I got an engine code and warning light. As i was driving it to the dealer it happened 8 more times..again almost getting me killed on the highway. Dealer has no clue. Throttle body and wiring all check out..This is a major safety issue! Been a week since i dropped it off. Told them they have 3 weeks to fix or they can keep it ...1500 miles!

·
Super Moderator
2,906 Posts
There's a known wiring issue on a few models, where the brake and/or throttle wires are not routed properly and can become intermittent. There's also a known issue with the magnetic brake sensor (switch) where it can go bad from sensing the brake being depressed for long periods of time.

Regarding the title, "Dead pedal deathtrap" is over-sensationalized, please change the title to something less insighting. The Slingshot has a well-designed triangulated frame that holds up great in a collision, and it's certainly not Polaris fault that other drivers are not paying attention and nearly hit a vehicle that lost power and slowly decelerated. If you were bumped from behind, while unfortunate, it probably wouldn't kill you; other owners survived being rear-ended just fine.

caution.jpg

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
As i was driving it to the dealer it happened 8 more times..again almost getting me killed on the highway. Dealer has no clue. Throttle body and wiring all check out..This is a major safety issue! Been a week since i dropped it off. Told them they have 3 weeks to fix or they can keep it ...1500 miles!
If you thought the situation to be so dangerous, we are curious of why you continued to drive the SlingShot instead of just staying off of the highway and calling to have it towed?

Justina and Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had the exact same issue. Battery cables seemed clean and tight, but I had heard this could be a problem. I removed, cleaned and reinstalled the battery cables. I have never had the issue again.

Jim

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I'll never understand why people like you join a forum and your first and only post is completely negative. How do I even know you actually own an SS and are not just trolling since your one and only post is "worlds are colliding"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the exact same issue. Battery cables seemed clean and tight, but I had heard this could be a problem. I removed, cleaned and reinstalled the battery cables. I have never had the issue again.

Jim
Well I was heading to the dealer after the first time, it happened again so I got off the highway. .all the others happened on the side roads...with my flashers on. But "lots of drivers survived getting rear ended?" Gee thats a great way to think of the 20k+ purchase lol. And deathtrap is exactly the term ill use...id tather not have to just "survive" because there are idiots on the road withoit having my ss cause it. These things dont roll very far without power.. Hoping it takes 30 days to fix...they can keep it then. Shame cause i love mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll never understand why people like you join a forum and your first and only post is completely negative. How do I even know you actually own an SS and are not just trolling since your one and only post is "worlds are colliding"?
Sigh..yeah sry to say bad words about your crush...and yeah i dont own one...i was bored and decided to troll ss forums lol. ok now on to fire extinguisher forums...must be lots of bad ones there...if ur not helpful please let the adults talk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sigh..yeah sry to say bad words about your crush...and yeah i dont own one...i was bored and decided to troll ss forums lol. ok now on to fire extinguisher forums...must be lots of bad ones there...if ur not helpful please let the adults talk.
Hey I've been in fire and life safety for almost 20 years....anything I can answer about fire extinguishers??

·
Registered
626 Posts
new member that gets attacked right away. There certainly is a pattern here. Why not let the admins do their job ? To the OP welcome and there is alot of great info here once you get past the haters.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well I was heading to the dealer after the first time, it happened again so I got off the highway. .all the others happened on the side roads...with my flashers on. But "lots of drivers survived getting rear ended?" Gee thats a great way to think of the 20k+ purchase lol. And deathtrap is exactly the term ill use...id rather not have to just "survive" because there are idiots on the road withoit having my ss cause it. These things don't roll very far without power.. Hoping it takes 30 days to fix...they can keep it then. Shame cause i love mine.
Thanks for making us aware of another defect to look out for. If it happened to you it could happen to us. I'm sure you felt it warranted your title, you experienced the defect, nobody else did. Lucky the person behind you was paying attention instead of texting otherwise it could have been deadly, especially if they pushed you down a cliff.. Report it to the NHTSA. File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA. There are at least 11 various complaints out there now. I'm sure they will be more sympathetic.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
new member that gets attacked right away. There certainly is a pattern here. Why not let the admins do their job ? To the OP welcome and there is alot of great info here once you get past the haters.
I am not a hater.

Do you not find it just a little odd when people (this guy and "BossHoss" before him) join a site (any site) and the first thing out of their mouths, the very first post is completely negative??? He could have said "Hey, has anybody heard of this situation before?" but no, he has to go on a tirade about how the dealer can keep it, exactly like "BossHoss" did. Do you not see that as a little odd?

Sorry. Maybe I am just a little more internet savvy than you having moderated two different motorcycle websites in the past. I've seen it many times before and when you have the ability to check IP Addresses, you'd be amazed at what some people will try with multiple logon accounts, etc... And yes, people do occasionally troll because for one reason or another they have an issue with a given vehicle.

Maybe homie does have a problem with his throttle. But you don't walk into IHOP and say "Your restaurant sucks, but seat me now and feed me".

And I got news for you Primony. You think you can buy a vehicle and just say "I don't like it" and dump it off in the dealer lot, you live on a different planet than most of us (You, BossHoss and Anotherone appear to live in the same place). You go into the dealer with the same attitude you started with here and I guarantee you that you will be at the bottom of the dealers "I care about this guy" list.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
^^^
Honestly, folks, you REALLY need to listen attentively to this man. It is SO refreshing to FINALLY have such an amazing EXPERT on all things Slingshot (admittedly, a self-professed expert). In fact, an expert on ALL topics (just ask him! Scratch that - you don't even have to ask, he will continue to amaze us all with his boundless knowledge whether we ask or not; Google may as well shutter their doors). He even has the ability to read minds & can detect devious intent. I mean, seriously, this incredible man has accumulated a jaw-dropping 151 miles of seat time in the Slingshot & it would behoove all of us to listen raptly to every drop of drivel word that comes out of his mouth. Things I've learned from him already: how to (improperly) put a Slingshot onto a ramp; how to then buy a replacement brakeline; then, how to destroy the replacement brakeline - I mean these topics alone are worth the price of admission! I quiver in anticipation & anxiously await his next post when he will assuredly astound us all with another morsel of his vast experience, expertise & wisdom. Truly awe inspiring...

Also, check out his avatar! Wrapped his air filter in plastic! Brilliant!!! Why didn't I think of that?! No need to clean or replace those pesky dirty air filters again! ;):D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
^^^
Honestly, folks, you REALLY need to listen attentively to this man. It is SO refreshing to FINALLY have such an amazing EXPERT on all things Slingshot (admittedly, a self-professed expert). In fact, an expert on ALL topics (just ask him! Scratch that - you don't even have to ask, he will continue to amaze us all with his boundless knowledge whether we ask or not; Google may as well shutter their doors). He even has the ability to read minds & can detect devious intent. I mean, seriously, this incredible man has accumulated a jaw-dropping 151 miles of seat time in the Slingshot & it would behoove all of us to listen raptly to every drop of drivel word that comes out of his mouth. Things I've learned from him already: how to (improperly) put a Slingshot onto a ramp; how to then buy a replacement brakeline; then, how to destroy the replacement brakeline - I mean these topics alone are worth the price of admission! I quiver in anticipation & anxiously await his next post when he will assuredly astound us all with another morsel of his vast experience, expertise & wisdom. Truly awe inspiring...

Also, check out his avatar! Wrapped his air filter in plastic! Brilliant!!! Why didn't I think of that?! No need to clean or replace those pesky dirty air filters again! ;):D

View attachment 57130

View attachment 57131
tumblr_noys8mkgT11s0my1wo1_250.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you not find it just a little odd when people (this guy and "BossHoss" before him) join a site (any site) and the first thing out of their mouths, the very first post is completely negative??? He could have said "Hey, has anybody heard of this situation before?" but no, he has to go on a tirade about how the dealer can keep it, exactly like "BossHoss" did. Do you not see that as a little odd?

Sorry. Maybe I am just a little more internet savvy than you having moderated two different motorcycle websites in the past. I've seen it many times before and when you have the ability to check IP Addresses, you'd be amazed at what some people will try with multiple logon accounts, etc... And yes, people do occasionally troll because for one reason or another they have an issue with a given vehicle.

Maybe homie does have a problem with his throttle. But you don't walk into IHOP and say "Your restaurant sucks, but seat me now and feed me".

And I got news for you Primony. You think you can buy a vehicle and just say "I don't like it" and dump it off in the dealer lot, you live on a different planet than most of us (You, BossHoss and Anotherone appear to live in the same place). You go into the dealer with the same attitude you started with here and I guarantee you that you will be at the bottom of the dealers "I care about this guy" list.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well Tripod, I don't know what I did to piss you off but apparently it was something huge.

So I put a turbo on my SS when it was brand new, I have the bag on the air filter because it's new and I had not fired it up yet when that pic was taken and when I make a mistake I post about it to save others (including people like you) from making the same mistake and I am a bad man for that.

Got it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Odd to complain that i was almost crushed because it dies on a blind turn? And yeah my confidence lvl while driving it in the future just went way down. just letting fellow slingshot owners know of a potential life threatening issue You want me to post every time im happy driving it lol? And yes they can keep it if its not fixed. . Im sure as hell not going to put my kids in it anymore. And whoever said that they are quite safe when getting rear ended never had to cut a steering wheel out of a woman's chest...i have.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Well Tripod, I don't know what I did to piss you off but apparently it was something huge.

So I put a turbo on my SS when it was brand new, I have the bag on the air filter because it's new and I had not fired it up yet when that pic was taken and when I make a mistake I post about it to save others (including people like you) from making the same mistake and I am a bad man for that.

Got it.
Blitz, you've done nothing to me personally but you have attacked many others on this forum. You are quick to judge & make assumptions. My post was tongue in cheek & was made to simply hope that in the future you would perhaps, think before you post...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Odd to complain that i was almost crushed because it dies on a blind turn? And yeah my confidence lvl while driving it in the future just went way down. just letting fellow slingshot owners know of a potential life threatening issue You want me to post every time im happy driving it lol? And yes they can keep it if its not fixed. . Im sure as hell not going to put my kids in it anymore. And whoever said that they are quite safe when getting rear ended never had to cut a steering wheel out of a woman's chest...i have.
I apologize for my response. I assumed (incorrectly apparently) that you were trolling.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Blitz, you've done nothing to me personally but you have attacked many others on this forum. You are quick to judge & make assumptions. My post was tongue in cheek & was made to simply hope that in the future you would perhaps, think before you post...
It was insulting and unnecessary. I don't chocolate coat things and sometimes that doesn't come across so well on the internet. Character flaw or attribute. Some say the former, some the latter.

I'll keep my opinions to myself from here on. Sorry if I pissed anybody off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts