Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I bought a new 2018 SL, a week later I went to go for a ride, but the battery was dead. Thinking it was an old battery, I contacted my dealer, got a fresh battery, within hrs. It was dead again. I bought an optima yellow top battery. Within hrs. If was dead again. It’s like something is draining my battery! I can’t go ride and stop anywhere or I’ll end up with a dead battery. Anyone else experience this?! Please HELP!
THSNK YOU

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'd just bring it back.
You've done more than I would have.
Obviously something is drawing it down rapidly that you can't see.
Let the dealer deal.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If the battery connection to ground is not properly tightened, the battery will run down, but I'm surprised at how quickly yours seems to be losing charge. Have the dealer or local car parts place check the battery connections.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's kind of hard to believe that you have had 3 bad batteries. I'd take the optima back to the seller and confirm that it is dead. If it is, then you have a large drain on the electrical system. This would be obvious when connecting the battery since you would see a large spark. If the optima battery tests out OK and charged, then you have a problem with either the ground or positive lead. As BKL mentioned, you should check the negative battery cable connection at the frame close to the bottom of the battery. These are known to come loose. While you are there, remove the ground lead, clean the paint off of the stud and frame where the lead makes contact and reinstall. This will eliminate that problem. I also recommend putting a coat of automotive light bulb socket grease around the area to reduce moisture and future rust. If you are getting a large spark when attaching the battery cables, then it's time to take it to the dealer and have them locate the drain/short. If you have added additional electrical components like an amp, then this could be the problem as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im hoping he will let us know after he gets the problem fixed! Ask the question, but please inform back when you fix it for others who might encounter this! Just sayin!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd just bring it back.
You've done more than I would have.
Obviously something is drawing it down rapidly that you can't see.
Let the dealer deal.
Thank you Connman, might have to do that, trick is finding the time to get it there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the battery connection to ground is not properly tightened, the battery will run down, but I'm surprised at how quickly yours seems to be losing charge. Have the dealer or local car parts place check the battery connections.
Thanks for the advice, was thinking of doing just that, soon as I got a chance when the mechanic shop is open. Appreciate it BKL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's kind of hard to believe that you have had 3 bad batteries. I'd take the optima back to the seller and confirm that it is dead. If it is, then you have a large drain on the electrical system. This would be obvious when connecting the battery since you would see a large spark. If the optima battery tests out OK and charged, then you have a problem with either the ground or positive lead. As BKL mentioned, you should check the negative battery cable connection at the frame close to the bottom of the battery. These are known to come loose. While you are there, remove the ground lead, clean the paint off of the stud and frame where the lead makes contact and reinstall. This will eliminate that problem. I also recommend putting a coat of automotive light bulb socket grease around the area to reduce moisture and future rust. If you are getting a large spark when attaching the battery cables, then it's time to take it to the dealer and have them locate the drain/short. If you have added additional electrical components like an amp, then this could be the problem as well.
Hey Ron, I’ve checked the cables, although I didn’t clean the paint off, might gonna try that hopefully this Sunday. But I do have a good spark when I go to re-attach the wires on. I appreciate you and everyone else that has been kind enough to respond.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im hoping he will let us know after he gets the problem fixed! Ask the question, but please inform back when you fix it for others who might encounter this! Just sayin!
Melloreel, I’m sure hoping I’ll get it resolved, bought it year before last and only have 1500 mls. on it. Between my moms stroke and work in the West Texas oilfield, don’t have a lot of time to ride or mess with it. And I’ll definitely post when and if I get the problem resolved. Thanks again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Melloreel, I’m sure hoping I’ll get it resolved, bought it year before last and only have 1500 mls. on it. Between my moms stroke and work in the West Texas oilfield, don’t have a lot of time to ride or mess with it. And I’ll definitely post when and if I get the problem resolved. Thanks again!
If your wanting to do a quick check yourself, get a meter and do the parasitic draw test. Very simple to do. Youtube has all you need to know on how to perform it. Good luck with finding out what’s going on! And best wishes for your Mom!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went and saw the vid. appreciate the help, and thank you very much for the best wishes, Melloreel.-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello and good morning everyone!
Sorry for taking so long to reply, but for some reason the site would not allow me to sign in... anyway, good news!!

I went and did the parasitic test ( hope I spelled that right) and it worked!! Found I had my led chaser lights wired wrong. with this pandemic and oilfield slowdown, I’m being able to enjoy evening rides. Melloreel, thank you so much for the help and to everyone else as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello and good morning everyone!
Sorry for taking so long to reply, but for some reason the site would not allow me to sign in... anyway, good news!!

I went and did the parasitic test ( hope I spelled that right) and it worked!! Found I had my led chaser lights wired wrong. with this pandemic and oilfield slowdown, I’m being able to enjoy evening rides. Melloreel, thank you so much for the help and to everyone else as well.
Glad it worked out for you!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts