Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
New to the Slingshot family Recently purchased 2017 SE LE leftover with 600 miles .. My first mods was going to be a Assuault wheel and hub..I purchase everything from Slingmods.com The puller screws were not long enough to get a good bite on the wheel so I had purchased longer screws and now one of the 10/32 screw holes is on polaris wheel stripped and puller wont work since only one screw will hold in place... I have tried the hammer and pulling wheel sideway . I have hit the nut with metal hammer and its wont move... The steering hub does show signs of rust I have used W 40 and let it sit for hours .. maybe i need to try something else to free up rust ???

So now I have spent last 2 hours and cant get this off the slingshot.. Does anyone have suggestions to rent another puller or grab the sawalls and cut steering wheel so another puller can grab it somehow. The video on slingshot mods makes it looks so easy which is totally not true.. I am pulling out my hair how I can get this stock wheel off. I was thinking of using heat but with all the plastic not a good idea... Need some different ideas

I cant be the only one that couldn't get there steering wheel off even with the wheel puller .. help i want a new wheel

Next is exhaust mods...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone cut the plastic off tour steering wheel. Looks like my stock wheel is creased with rust onto shaft. Used puller n heat n can get it to pop off. Hit with hammer n pulled it. Soaked overnight with WD 40 other sprays. Now what to remove wheel ????

·
Registered
69 Posts
I laugh everytime I read how easy it is to just pop off a SS OEM steering wheel
Had my OEM wheel off twice before replacing with a after market hub and wheel, both times it was a bear to remove even after only a years time!
The rust below the splines was heavy and required a puller. I helped at SSITS 2019 with a parking lot install and we had the same issues. Keep adding Kroil? Oil and don’t hammer too hard, don’t ask how I know! Heat may do additional damage too.
Be patient.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maine ss.
What puller did you use ? The $20 ss puller i have used it few times n everytime n wlmt budge i hafe placed for much pressure on it that i hafe bend the screw thst hold it in place since it starts twisting in place. Last time I tried I had hell of time unscrewing the bolts they were bent so much. Any tips on how you removed yours. The wheel been in mine 2 yrs n pretty rusty. Last two days Inhace spent few hours trying then get frustrated n give up. Will try again today.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used the cheap SS puller and I had upgraded the bolts but I broke the weld on the center nut at SSITS.
So we borrowed a heavy duty puller from a vendor at Maggie Valley.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea on what the puller looks like ?? The $20 puller doesnt work on wheel that is seized by rust.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered that puller but after taking apart dashboard b removing gauges I feel pretty confident i can cut the wheel metal off shaft. Look at pictures. I am going to uae demel vibrating cutter. This take balls to do but I have no choice at this point. Hope it works n this can help others in same situations
This is how steering column looks with everything removed only 4 bolts

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I see, can be done carefully, cut the steel sw hub straight down in the same direction as the shaft. I seem to remember a dummy spline in the hub that would be a good spot to make your final cut so you don’t damage the steering shaft. We cut large couplings all the time like this with 4” cut off wheels. Just take your time and you’ll be fine. Just wedge a flat screw driver in the final cut to open the coupling enough to remove.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Th
I see, can be done carefully, cut the steel sw hub straight down in the same direction as the shaft. I seem to remember a dummy spline in the hub that would be a good spot to make your final cut so you don’t damage the steering shaft. We cut large couplings all the time like this with 4” cut off wheels. Just take your time and you’ll be fine. Just wedge a flat screw driver in the final cut to open the coupling enough to remove.
What is best cutting wheel to use on my 4 inch grinder that i can pickup at home depot , northern tool etc. Going to let my mechanic try to pop it off before a start cutting it off.
Here is few pictures of puller i rented n didnt work even with 1/4 bolts i tapped in holes. No luck. Puller started to slip off under tension. So frustrated

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
The best cutting wheels are the thinnest carborundum ones that are the correct outside diameter and inside diameter for your grinders arbor.
Don’t forget to wear safety glasses!

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,158 Posts
Let us know if you get it off. I would help you if I was down there, but its SUMMERTIME.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update finally got wheel off.
Here is what i did. I retapped bolt hole to 1/4 size then ordered puller from ebay that someone here suggested from Amazon. Thank you along with suggestion to use Kroil. Kroil arrived an hour ago. Place some in turkey baster. N applied some to wheel hub after i heated it up then place new puller n 1/4 bolts with washer n slowly applied pressure n it finally came loose. See pictures. Now have to put plastic back on n line up new adaptor to some wheel is straight. So if anyone is having same issue this is what finally worked for me. Puller was $15 n has nice tapered adaptor on main nut of puller.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out Welter performance. Lots of options and is regarded by many as the best engineered exhaust in the business. I just got their new "Front side exit" unit installed and absolutely love it. Great sound and it enhances performance as well. He designed it to be a direct replacement for the old Alpha unit but with the Welter touch! Replaced a horribly obnoxiously loud 1320 and would not consider anything else , IMHO

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check out Welter performance. Lots of options and is regarded by many as the best engineered exhaust in the business. I just got their new "Front side exit" unit installed and absolutely love it. Great sound and it enhances performance as well. He designed it to be a direct replacement for the old Alpha unit but with the Welter touch! Replaced a horribly obnoxiously loud 1320 and would not consider anything else , IMHO
Garyw
Do you have link to this exhaust??? Any sound clip for exhaust? Did you replace header too?? Did you install it yourself? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
683 Posts
Twist Dynamics Welter Performance FSX Exhaust System for the Polaris Slingshot - Slingshot Only and has a video to go along with it.

My guess is that you can install yourself in a couple of hours easy, may be less hassle if you remove the side, which isn't too difficult, and gives you a lot more room to work in. I have the welter dual rear one and it was much easier to work in there by taking the side off.

I don't see instructions posted on the welter nor the SSO site, so you may contact them to ask for it, and that will give you a better idea of how difficult.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gary
Do you have link to this exhaust??? Any sound clip for exhaust? Did you replace header too?? Did you install it yourself? Thanks in advance
I did not install myself but it is pretty straight forward and don't think it would be very difficult to do. There used to be a sound clip on the welter performance site but I see that the site is down and now directs you to Slingshotonly which is the exclusive dealer for welter I believe. Here is the exhaust I am talking about.
TWIST WP FSX EXHAUST FOR THE POLARIS SLINGSHOT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts