Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the Angle Drives are breaking in the same place, two of my angle drives broke in the same exact spot and other people have also broke the in the same exact spot, so I had this bracket made to reinforce it, I figured I'd share with you guys
View attachment 171835
17926.jpeg

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Interesting idea. Were you able to use existing holes/threads to avoid drilling any new openings? Can you provide a ballpark cost estimate? Are you thinking about offering some for sale?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Interesting idea. Were you able to use existing holes/threads to avoid drilling any new openings? Can you provide a ballpark cost estimate? Are you thinking about offering some for sale?
Yup, interesting, though looking at past posted photos of failed angle drives it seems that the bearing fails first creating this area to become excessively hot, causing the case to become brittle, and then it cracks? I would suggest before going with something as elaborate as this "repair" every now and then after a longer ride removing a cup holder to check and feeling if the area of the input shaft bearing is excessively hot........................

Bill

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one started cracking after a few thousand miles of use, I don't think that there was any problem with the bearings
Screenshot_20181005-170402_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And here is my first angle drive that just totally snapped
Screenshot_20181005-170408_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
....too late for that
Looking at the second photo of the bearing separated from the case has overheating written all over it, and it would have been curious to see the first angle drive before it was cleaned up, even so, it is interesting that there appears to be no lubricant weeping from the crack(s)?

Bill

Added note, and this is one great big DUH, why don't you pop that bearing out of that first drive to see how it looks?(This would not be the first time I have eaten crow! ;))

Bill

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know some have had problems but probably 99+ have not. No reason to create concern for us 99 percenters.
Well I broke two of them and a whole bunch of other people have posted pictures of them broke in the same exact way so there is totally reason for concern, just because one guy doesn't have a heart attack doesn't mean that we should tell everyone else to stop exercising or eating properly, think about it just because you have your situation doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fix the problem

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the second photo of the bearing separated from the case has overheating written all over it, and it would have been curious to see the first angle drive before it was cleaned up, even so, it is interesting that there appears to be no lubricant weeping from the crack(s)?

Bill[/QUOT

Bill
Well maybe it cracked, and then all the fluids seeped out of it and that's why it overheated?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
People crack me up, just because some people aren't cracking them that means that people who are cracking them shouldn't address it and we should just be like "okay some other people aren't cracking them so it's okay" , that makes no sense

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a compound fracture on my arm, but none of my neighbors have a broken bone so I guess I'll just walk around with this bone sticking out for the rest of my life so I don't cause any concern for my other neighbors LOL

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have a compound fracture on my arm, but none of my neighbors have a broken bone so I guess I'll just walk around with this bone sticking out for the rest of my life so I don't cause any concern for my other neighbors LOL
Actually, I think a bone sticking out of your arm would bother them even more if you left it untreated!:D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wasn't criticizing the op but should we all now think ours on on life support? My jcase melted but I am not looking to build something better. Shxxt happens to some but not to most.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I wasn't criticizing the op but should we all now think ours on on life support? My jcase melted but I am not looking to build something better. Shxxt happens to some but not to most.
Agree. Most of us will hopefully never experience an angle drive problem, but some of us definitely will. Each of us determines what risks we're willing to take and where we spend money to mitigate our concerns. The OP has already experienced 2 angle drive failures, so his level of concern is probably higher than other folks'.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I definitely don't have all the answers, I just know I broke two already and I don't want to keep breaking them so I'm taking it into my own hands, and I've also seen other people break them so it's a nice option

Also, this hasn't been tested yet either so it's still might break. we don't even know, but I'm thinking this is going to really help it or even cure it

1 - 20 of 55 Posts