Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the F4+3 and like it a lot. I see over the top at 6'6'' tall and it pushes most of the air over my head. I could imagine baking in the slingshot with a plus 5, at least I catch a little airflow over the windshield (plus, I like looking over not through). The problem is, the F4 windshield creates a low pressure environment in the cabin where the foot wells trap heat.

From what I understand, the bakers wings work well but, when I called into Slingmods they recommended that I sell my F4+3 and get the 11" Madstad windshield since it accomplishes the airflow problem without any add-ons like slingwings or Baker air wings. The F4 just has a lot more marketing than the Madstads (is what I'm told).

I already returned the SlingWings because it blocked my passenger mirror vision and didn't seem worth drilling through the pillar when the next potential owner might not want that.

I would really like to hear some of the Madstad owners chime in. Adding a 1 to 2 inch opening below the windshield apparently pulls the air up from the foot wells and pushes it out of the cabin, accomplishing what the F4 and slingwings/baker airwings does all at once, and I think better looking.

My only concern is that the air flowing through that 1 or 2 inch gap would be really intense at highway speeds... or higher :angelic:. Additionally, it doesn't give you the flexibility to close it on the fly. What are some owners experience with this?

Has anyone tried both? Can anyone provide feedback on the Madstad?

Lets at least get a better understanding of the two products. F4 clearly has superior marketing which, in turn, has led to more of us owning them!

·
Registered
872 Posts
have a 7" MadStad- no F4 experience. The bases that the solid shield mount to are directly in front of the driver & passenger. They deflect direct air to your sides. No buffeting, no intense air. Tested to about 112 mph. Ran with it during the winter- very small gap at the bottom, when fully lowered- most rain deflected, a few drops thru the bottom. Currently running it about 2 1/2" off hood (triple digits here) I love it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have a 7" MadStad- no F4 experience. The bases that the solid shield mount to are directly in front of the driver & passenger. They deflect direct air to your sides. No buffeting, no intense air. Tested to about 112 mph. Ran with it during the winter- very small gap at the bottom, when fully lowered- most rain deflected, a few drops thru the bottom. Currently running it about 2 1/2" off hood (triple digits here) I love it!
This is great - thanks for chiming in. No need for bakers air wings? Enough ventilation to keep you cool but even at high speeds air isnt pounding you in the chest?

·
Registered
872 Posts
don't think wings would work on the MadStad- certainly not my 7". Someone else might have to chime in on that. The outer edges are much narrower than the center- plenty of air flow. No air pounding you- put your hand in the center of the full dash, by the center post- where the bases have both deflected air to- plenty of air stream!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got the 11" madstad double adjustable here as well. I like looking through the shield as I sit only 5'10". The 11" allows me to do that as well as increase the height for added coverage for rain ect... the adjustments work rather well and I would purchase again if I ever had another slingshot. Airflow wise it's better than stock by far but depending on where you ride ymmv. I'm still looking into a top to help keep the cabin a little cooler when not moving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe that the opening under the shield on the MadStad is what breaks the vacuum by allowing air to enter into the cockpit stopping the rain from being pulled in from the rear and the unburnt fuel fumes from the cat-less runners from entering that some experience. Polaris even figured this out as the new factory blade on the Blue LE has the bottom of the shield cut out. I am running a 9" MadStad. I like that it adjusts 2" up or down to limit airflow when it gets cooler. The outer edges also tilt back to allow for more air but the one time I tried it I set it back to the straight position after a few miles because it whistled and haven't played with it since. One down side I have noticed is flex. I ride seeing over the shield but at highway speeds I have noticed the shield flexing and it is distracting at the least. I think it may cause cracks at the mounting holes in the future.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am 6'4" with 34" inseam and use the 11 " Madstad adjustable. I love it. Sends the air over my head. I have it up about 1" and get a nice airflow in the cockpit, no turbulence. Big plus was being able to hear the radio at highway speeds. I see over the top easily to about two car lengths. Less than 2 car lengths I look through the screen. Madstad quality is great. Easy install.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
MadStad Adjustable windshield system for the Polaris Slingshot!

Here is an update as we are riding our SlingShot more now getting out of the rainy season, we have been experimenting with adjusting our 9" Madstad windshield. At any adjusted height it does a great job in directing airflow over the top of us, leaving it in it's forward most position seemingly working the best. When adjusting the windshield above it's midpoint bisects our view, so we have been keeping it on the lower side. As it is getting warmer what we are finding is that we are really appreciating the air that comes in under the windshield. With the stock blade windshield we experienced considerable buffeting within the cockpit. The Madstad windshield helps in keeping the cockpit very comfortable without blasting us, for the flow quickly dissipates, providing smooth cooling comfort. The real surprise has been is just how little water makes it into the cockpit when riding in the rain; with the air flow over the hood, most of the water is directed higher up on to the windshield, what rain that does sneak in under wraps around to the back of the windshield and is then dispersed off to each side, (kinda fun to watch!)

We still think that the Madstad windshield is a bit pricey, but it is an obvious improvement over the original fixed blade windshield in making our ride more comfortable.

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I have the MadStad 13" windshield. I redrilled it to mount about 1" lower to reduce the airflow coming under the windshield during cooler weather. In warmer weather, I use the OEM holes for the increased airflow. My feet still get hot here in Texas. Even when leaving for a ride at 10pm, the temps here in the Houston area can still be in the mid-80s or higher during the summer and I have a set of GL1200 Front fairing Wind Deflectors (wings) from AddonAccessories that I may yet install to increase airflow into the footwell area.
My only complaint about the MadStad windshield is when a bug splats against the bottom edge of the shield and then gets sprayed into the cockpit! I ride almost exclusively at night when there are lots of bugs out and they're not one of my favorite menu items.

·
Registered
60 Posts
6'5" - MadStad 11" keeps my upper body cool but I still installed the Baker Wings to cool my feet. I ran the shield all the way down in the winter and 1" up seems to give good air flow now that its summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
6'5"/MadStad 11" (dark gray). Works perfectly. The DEI Heat Control Kit was just installed by my dealer and I also utilized the sump pump hose idea from Sam Owens to pull air in the bottom of the foot wells. This combination has been great for not only reducing the buffeting/loudness in the cockpit, but airflow/heat reduction.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,850 Posts
Ok so having had the Madstad 9" for a few months now, I can tell you that it is really a huge difference...in rain/hail/sunny weather. The wife and I can have a conversation because the turbulence in the cabin isn't ridiculous like it was in the factory blade. I thought I was going to need more speakers...nope...changed the windshield it made a huge difference. With the rain and hail...I think it really helped...I watched rain drops fall and get pushed around...hail...well this is where I think it could help to have the 11". It pushed the hail in to my face. lol. with that being said...at highway speeds, it's very comfy, draws heat up and out of the cabin area and it's not as noisy as you would think. I still have my cell phone on a ram x mount and the wind doesn't move it around much. I don't think there is a product that is as functional as the Madstad windshield for the slingshot...maybe PRP seats but I can tell you that I have no regrets having the Madstad.

Reactions: BONES

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
6'5"/MadStad 11" (dark gray). Works perfectly. The DEI Heat Control Kit was just installed by my dealer and I also utilized the sump pump hose idea from Sam Owens to pull air in the bottom of the foot wells. This combination has been great for not only reducing the buffeting/loudness in the cockpit, but airflow/heat reduction.
Thanks for the reply. At 6'5" do you look over the 11" or through?

What is the smallest gap you can run the windshield at? In the fall/winter im curious about cold air coming through. As stated above, I'm running the F4 currently.

·
Registered
16 Posts

What is the smallest gap you can run the windshield at? In the fall/winter im curious about cold air coming through. As stated above, I'm running the F4 currently.
I usually run with the lowest position (approximately 1" gap at bottom). This allows for about 2" of looking over the top of the windshield. If it gets windy and cold, I just lean back and tuck my head. I then look through the top 2" of the windshield. Haven't had the chance to run it through late fall/winter yet (I live in northern Wisconsin). I have lifted it to the highest position and look straight through the top 2-3". Hope that helps...

·
Registered
76 Posts
So since I am getting my SS soon I have also been doing a bit of windshield shopping. Coming from a Goldwing I know a bit out F4 windshields. Their two big selling points for me were how the rain beads up and runs off and that you can clean them with a paper towel and they don't scratch. How is the Madstad windshield for rain and cleaning?

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,850 Posts
So since I am getting my SS soon I have also been doing a bit of windshield shopping. Coming from a Goldwing I know a bit out F4 windshields. Their two big selling points for me were how the rain beads up and runs off and that you can clean them with a paper towel and they don't scratch. How is the Madstad windshield for rain and cleaning?
They do scratch, but I have noticed that with a little baby oil you can reduce the look of the scratches. As far as rain...everything beads right up. I didn't have any issues in the last storm I rode through.

·
Registered
76 Posts
that for me is a deal breaker. I have owned an f4 and they don't scratch. Nothing worse than having to deal with or trying to prevent scratches. Now that f4 says they have the corner distortion fixed I will buy one for my SS.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts

I'm around 6'1" and after I drilled new holes 1" below the original MadStad holes, I can still look over the top of my 13" shield. The new, lower holes place the shield low enough that it must be raised before the hood can be opened and will actually touch the hood if lowered too far.
The MadStad uses a softer plastic than F4 does. I liked the reported durability of the F4 shields, but I also liked the air flow available with the MadStad shield, although I don't enjoy having bug guts coming under the MadStad shield when they splatter aginst the bottom edge of the shield.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,850 Posts
that for me is a deal breaker. I have owned an f4 and they don't scratch. Nothing worse than having to deal with or trying to prevent scratches. Now that f4 says they have the corner distortion fixed I will buy one for my SS.
I think it's just tough with anything acrylic or poly made. I have had plenty of products that claim they don't get scratched and they still do. I knew that in Colorado my SS was going to get sandblasted. I think if you know that is the expectation you deal with it. I know the replacement single blade from madstad is only $160 so if I want to change sizes, color, or just want a new one, I will buy one to replace that one piece.

Reactions: sooey2u and wjfyfe

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't picked up my SS yet and trying to figure out a windshield. I'm 6'4. I haven't seen any comments about single vs. dual MadStad shields. Can anyone comment?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts