Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Sling with the shade roof. Who sells a cover to use on an open trailer? Pulling with my motorhome.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't believe anyone offers a trailering cover. Polaris made a cover that supposedly could be used when trailering, but I'm not sure it's still available and it wouldn't fit a Slingshot with any top.
Folks who trailer classic vehicles seem to be very leery about using any type of trailer cover since the air can cause the cover to move around and damage paint. I'd like to find a lined cover that straps could be added to so that the cover could be tightened to reduce any cover movement, but it's been a while since I searched.
Here's a Google search - LMGTFY.
www.empirecovers.com offers trailerable covers for motorcycles, jet skis, boats and towed travel trailers, but nothing for cars. I don't know if they offer a soft lining on the underside of their covers.
Polaris offers 2 full covers for the Slingshot. One is for Slingshots w/o tops and claims it can be used for trailering - Slingshot All-Weather Cover - Black | Polaris Slingshot. The Slingshade-compatible cover doesn't mention trailer use and doesn't look like it will work for other tops - Slingshot Slingshade All-Weather Cover - Black | Polaris Slingshot. Since you have the Slingshade Top, I'd recommend contacting Polaris and asking them specifically if the Slingshade-compatible cover is usable hen trailerin. I filled out Polaris' Customer Satisfaction Survey and told them I'd love to see a trailering-compatible cover from Polaris for use with Slingshots w/any Top.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I trailer our Slingshot behind the fifth wheel. I use a Polaris cover and have not had any problems with paint scratching/wearing. We left northern Michigan last spring, towed to Ohio, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and back home, about 8,000 miles total for that trip with the cover in place the entire time. That's the 3rd "similar length trip" with the cover and never any problems. It fits with the Polaris Ripper Tall windshield, but there's no way it would fit with any kind of top. I don't know of anyone who makes a travel cover to fit a SS with a top in place. Towing on a trailer is the only way we can take the fifth wheel and the slingshot, having a travel cover is a must for us and that's why, as much as I'd like a top, I can't tow it covered, with a top.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I'm waiting to either find some feedback about the new Polaris Slingshade cover in hopes it will fit my TD Top, but Polaris doesn't specifically state on their website that the Slingshade cover can be used when trailering. I have a AllThingsSlingshot NASCAR style Tallboy +2 windshield and a tow dolly from AllThingsSlingshot and since I'll be towing my Slingshot backwards, I'm concerned about any pressures the wind might present since the windshield will be tilted against the wind while towing. I've also heard about canvas tops on Jeeps getting damaged by the wind when the Jeep is towed backwards. I figure I can remove the canvas and even the windshield, if necessary, but I'd rather just use a cover if it won't damage the paint, especially if it means I don't have to worry about carrying the windshield separately.
I have found multi-layer car covers with the innermost layer being a soft fleece-like material to protect the paint, but I haven't found one that is designed for use while trailering. The only trailering covers I've found are designed for 2 wheel motorcycles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Polaris trailering cover has a "soft kinda-fuzzy" inner lining. There is a buckle/strap around the perimeter of the cover and straps that go under it to pull it tight side to side. Once on, it doesn't move. But, with the top, I don't know of any cover to fit it. As for the windshield, on my SS with the cover in place, the entire windshield is covered, so there's no "air behind the windshield" to be concerned with. I can't say that would be the situation with a top, but on a "topless SS" I don't believe there would be any difference in towing forward or towing backward since the windshield is completely covered and the top of the cover will smooth the air over the roll bars to the windshield and down over the hood.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Assuming the Slingshade cover will work for trailering, but won't work with my TD Top, I'm thinking about finding a commercial car cover with a soft liner and then adding a lot of straps so I can tighten everything down.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
803 Posts
I have trailered my 2015 slingshot to Oregon on an open Trailer and using the Slingshot Full Cover to protect it. When properly intalled and towing in forward position on a open trailer it works excellent with not mark on paint at all. Now, I have developed a procedure that I found worked and not have cover to come off. The sequence for the straps is important I found, as in the beginning, I had the cover to come off twice. Then I got it right. View my video for installing the cover and removing the cover.

Installing and removing Cover for trailering

A view of Cover installed after traveling

Slingshot with Cover at destination, Oregon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts