Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In an article coming from CarAdvice.com, there might be a real possibility that the Slingshot will hit the Australian and New Zealand-ian markets.

As you and I already know, the Slingshot is a "segment defining product," and pretty much everyone that I talk to that knows about the Slingshot, it really excited about it! As far as we know, the Slingshot will be available for the US and Canadian markets upon it's release in the coming months, but the word on the street is that other markets are already exploring the feasibility of the Slingshot in their markets.

According to the Polaris Australia, and New Zealand managing director, Peter Alexander, "We will work with regulators in regards to what it will take to bring the unique Slingshot to our marketplace." There are some hurdles that will need to be overcome in the foreign markets just as there were many stipulations that Polaris had to meet with the Slingshot in the US and Canadian markets. The fact that the Slingshot is classified as a motorcycle is one of these stipulations. Other markets will have regulations unique to themselves, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Alexander also stated, that, like other Polaris products such as the Sportsman ACE, “should the Slingshot come to Australia, classifying it could also prove problematic.”

In reference to the Slingshot making the swim across the big water to AUS and NZ, the timing is still very grey, and they are “looking into the homologation and also the market for such a model in Australia, which at this stage is just exploratory.”

Do we have any Australians or New Zealanders among us? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1 Posts

In an article coming from CarAdvice.com, there might be a real possibility that the Slingshot will hit the Australian and New Zealand-ian markets.

As you and I already know, the Slingshot is a "segment defining product," and pretty much everyone that I talk to that knows about the Slingshot, it really excited about it! As far as we know, the Slingshot will be available for the US and Canadian markets upon it's release in the coming months, but the word on the street is that other markets are already exploring the feasibility of the Slingshot in their markets.

According to the Polaris Australia, and New Zealand managing director, Peter Alexander, "We will work with regulators in regards to what it will take to bring the unique Slingshot to our marketplace." There are some hurdles that will need to be overcome in the foreign markets just as there were many stipulations that Polaris had to meet with the Slingshot in the US and Canadian markets. The fact that the Slingshot is classified as a motorcycle is one of these stipulations. Other markets will have regulations unique to themselves, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Alexander also stated, that, like other Polaris products such as the Sportsman ACE, “should the Slingshot come to Australia, classifying it could also prove problematic.”

In reference to the Slingshot making the swim across the big water to AUS and NZ, the timing is still very grey, and they are “looking into the homologation and also the market for such a model in Australia, which at this stage is just exploratory.”

Do we have any Australians or New Zealanders among us? What do you guys think?
Salubrious Salutations from Oz!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there most certainly could be a few problems.
A current example would be another three-wheeler still trying to gain certification and approval here in Oz after three years, being the Morgan Three-Wheeler from England.

These machines are considered to be cars, not motorcycles, in Australia. Therefore they must comply with crash testing and other technical bureaucracies relating to cars known as ADRs. Australian Design Rules for car requirements. Extra costs!

Then there are the import imposts. 5% Import Tax plus 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax) and when that amount then exceeds A$61,884 then the LCT (Luxury Car Tax ) impost is added for every dollar over the LCT threshold. This is the current LCT delimiter for the Taxation Financial Year 2014-2015.

At present an equivalent price Morgan Three-Wheeler in England is approximately A$42,000, whereas after the Australian Government finishes with it, it may be well over A$85, 000!! More then double!

Methinks much thought must be applied to the overall endeavours of crazy bureaucracies and how to deal with them. Good luck, as we really look forward to fanging a Polaris Slingshot around the twisties down-under! Thanks, Ian.

P.S. Try this for more information.

http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/classic-and-rare/morgan/3-wheeler/morgan-3-wheeler-2014-review-45340?intref=sr-ed-reviews

·
Registered
90 Posts
Highly unlikely but I do have people working on legality of slingshot in Nz, as I'd like to bring mine down under so will keep you informed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts