Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2JZ swapped
399 Posts
Which model year do you have? The pre-Ride Command units have an antenna located under the rear fin. It is laid down. You can drill a small hole and orient it vertically through the body work for better reception. If you have Ride Command, you have a small, amplified box at the rear of the Slingshot.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I don’t know what I have. Only had it a month. What is ride command ? I do have a box laying down at the rear tip that my antenna AND back up camera is plugged into

·
Registered
104 Posts
Back in the 60's, I had a 9 volt pocket transister radio. Had a bout the same range. 30 to 40 miles on FM and 50 miles on AM. The SS is like riding a time machine, '69 Nova SS 409 punch and a pocket radio. Ahhh, the memories.

·
Registered
2015 2JZ swapped
399 Posts
The antenna that Ride Command uses is powered. You could always revert back to a big antenna off a car or truck. I don't think a lot of people listen to old fashioned radio anymore, and/or the stations don't have a lot of wattage meaning weaker signals. Usually on your phone you can get all sorts of radio stations (if that's what you listen to) or people use Sirius Radio through their phone.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
The higher the antenna, the better the reception. I have a Twist Dynamics canvas Top and have noticed that raising the antenna above the top's frame makes a big difference in reception. I don't know if this is because the top's frame acts as a ground plane. Some Corvette owners have been known to use aluminum self-stick tape radiating out from the antenna mount point under the fiberglass bodywork where the antenna is mounted to form a ground plane and improve reception. On a metal car, the body it self serves as basic ground plane. It might help to make sure the antenna frame (the portion that would normally touch the car's body when mounted or the outer shielded conductor of the antenna wire) is grounded to the frame to use the frame as a ground plane.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Honestly I don’t know what I have. Only had it a month. What is ride command ? I do have a box laying down at the rear tip that my antenna AND back up camera is plugged into
To access the antenna, remove the back up camera and then remove bolt holding center fin brake light and remove it. You should be able to see antenna. I have a 16 SS SL and had same problem with little or no FM reception. I drilled a small hole in the filler in front of brake light and extended the antenna about 1 1/2 inches above the filler. Made all the difference. Good luck. Enjoy your SHOT. Be prepared to answer questions, cause everyone will look at you as an expert.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts