Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
I can't help but feel that if someone made a nice looking, reliable saddle bag for the Slingshot, available at a reasonable price, they would have an instant market. I know I'd be interested.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am not sure if they've made additional changes or not but we bought ours just this summer for our SLR LE and they have been great and doing exactly what we wanted them to do. Almost at 5,000 miles including a 4 day trip in which they were jam packed to the point most wouldn't think possible and I only had 1 pop open one time but it was after hitting a massive set of rumble strips that made your head rattle approaching a construction area. We drove through some rain and have washed it a few times and have had very little water get in which was good enough for us.

As a precaution we do keep them locked and we added a simple $10 "piece of mind" fix in case they do pop open again. Part 79016 from Grainger (first result on google) brings you to a pack of 6 6 inch metal lanyards with a loop on each end. Use a small carabiner (we do a S type one so you can clip both ends) and latch it to the inside mounting bracket to the side. Hook one end of the lanyard to the carabiner and the other loop slides over the top of the pin on the door itself. As long as you slide it down before closing the door then nothing is in the way. we also added a second one to each side which and the lanyard connects to a loop which is held onto inside of that little cubby hold in the door with 3m tape just for an extra measure.

Lastly, I don't slam them as others suggested in the past. I simply raise them and push them into gently hear and feel the door click closed and then lock it. Hopefully somebody gets some mileage out of our little fix as it really was the easiest and cheapest idea we could come up with for some piece of mind. At least now if they do open, they open only a couple inches so nothing should really fly out and you can see the door in the mirrors depending on how you adjust them.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
To have these issues for such an expensive product is insane. I'll wait for another vendor to rise to the occasion, or possibly for Polaris to introduce a facsimile as they did for the top.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am not sure if they've made additional changes or not but we bought ours just this summer for our SLR LE and they have been great and doing exactly what we wanted them to do. Almost at 5,000 miles including a 4 day trip in which they were jam packed to the point most wouldn't think possible and I only had 1 pop open one time but it was after hitting a massive set of rumble strips that made your head rattle approaching a construction area. We drove through some rain and have washed it a few times and have had very little water get in which was good enough for us.

As a precaution we do keep them locked and we added a simple $10 "piece of mind" fix in case they do pop open again. Part 79016 from Grainger (first result on google) brings you to a pack of 6 6 inch metal lanyards with a loop on each end. Use a small carabiner (we do a S type one so you can clip both ends) and latch it to the inside mounting bracket to the side. Hook one end of the lanyard to the carabiner and the other loop slides over the top of the pin on the door itself. As long as you slide it down before closing the door then nothing is in the way. we also added a second one to each side which and the lanyard connects to a loop which is held onto inside of that little cubby hold in the door with 3m tape just for an extra measure.

Lastly, I don't slam them as others suggested in the past. I simply raise them and push them into gently hear and feel the door click closed and then lock it. Hopefully somebody gets some mileage out of our little fix as it really was the easiest and cheapest idea we could come up with for some piece of mind. At least now if they do open, they open only a couple inches so nothing should really fly out and you can see the door in the mirrors depending on how you adjust them.
To have these issues for such an expensive product is insane. I'll wait for another vendor to rise to the occasion, or possibly for Polaris to introduce a facsimile as they did for the top.
I also bought in August 2018 Corbin bags for my 2018 SLR, electric Blue ay their Osmond Bch. Florida location( Daytona). They installed them in about 3 hours and even waxed my SS. They drove me to a McDs for lunch.Service was excellent I then went to a Daytona Hotel for 3 days on the BCH. It rained constantly and the bags stayed dry as it rained hard every day. Drove back 300 miles to Cape Coral and again bags were dry. In Electric Blue they look great and finish off the body lines.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I also bought in August 2018 Corbin bags for my 2018 SLR, electric Blue ay their Osmond Bch. Florida location( Daytona). They installed them in about 3 hours and even waxed my SS. They drove me to a McDs for lunch.Service was excellent I then went to a Daytona Hotel for 3 days on the BCH. It rained constantly and the bags stayed dry as it rained hard every day. Drove back 300 miles to Cape Coral and again bags were dry. In Electric Blue they look great and finish off the body lines.
We came across our fifth SlingShot in the wild over the weekend, (a 2016), where the owner had Corbin saddle bags and seats in which he expressed being very happy with both.

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those that may have seen and read my thread on getting the new Corbin Saddlebags for the Slingshot back in either Sept or Oct. you will see how happy I was to drive up to their California facility and have them installed. ALL was well until I discovered they leak when you wash or drive in rain. I do my best to stay out of that environment but as we all know that is not easy.

I found more water in the bags than out so I looked it over closely and found that the seal they provide on the boxes do not even touch the doors when closed. I contacted them and they sent me a fix. I was happy until and envelope with two 6 1/2 inch stick on 1/4 tubes (See Photo 1). They say to place on the top and that stops the leaks. Hmmm no way. I tried it but of course that did not work and the salesman in Florida told me the same thing. I contacted Florida and spoke to the manager and told him my issue. In no uncertain terms they will not support my problem other than they will send me a strip of seal to put on myself. Not sure if I will get it or not still waiting. I was told that they will not send out lids or bags to fix the problem even though the bags are still in warranty.

Since they are now on revision 4 or 5 of the doors and I have the original doors they feel they do not have to fix the problem. SO, as we now know the customer has to come up with the correct solution since they are having problems figuring it out.

For those needing help with this here's what I did and it works great. I went to J and J Auto Fabrics, 247 South Riverside Ave. Rialto, CA. 92376 and purchased enough material to fit both lengths of SEAL plus 12 inches so I can cut the parts longer to make sure it fits. See Photo 2. The oversize seal locks and I tested it for water leaks and all was good. You may need to loosen the bottom screws to allow the outer door to move outward to allow for the thicker material. It did work awesome on mine but as others are telling me the doors are not fitting the same on all boxes. The material part number is: 6150 B-2 1/4" Location C Trim Seal. They carry the material on the floor. It takes about 10 minutes per side using a rubber hammer to install it. No glue is needed since it has locking fingers to hold it into place. Material cost is around $6.70 per yard for the material I believe.

NOTE:
1. Cut the new material about 2-3 inches longer than the old one
2. Start at the bottom and go around using a rubber hammer to place it.
3. To present a gap between the to ends that butt together make sure you have between 1/8 and 3/16 longer than you need. Leaving about 6 inches not hammered in press the tip flush to the seated end already hammered in now the ends are flush, now hammer back the way you came to finish the project.
4. Test to make sure the door closes. It will be more firm for sure. You can not slam it shut but press it closed. I had to adjust the screws and allow the lid to move outward to better work with the new seals.

I found my seals were not working when I could see my locking pins from the top of the bag which you should not be able to see since the seal should be blocking all. Now with the new seals all is good. I did a water test and all dry. MIRACLE.
Jim,

I read many of the comments on this and other sites trying to determine whether or not to purchase these bags, I am familiar with Corbin and their high quality Motorcycle accessories.

I decided even after reading all of the bad reviews to spend the exorbitant amount of money to purchase the bags because I hadn't found anything that finished the back end of the slingshot like these bags do.

In short, I love these bags!...... but, wait!
Shame on Polaris for not finishing the Slingshot in the first place!
Shame on Corbin for all of the quality issues they have, Still, with the bags!

Ok, lets get down to it.

I opened the box and the right bag door opened and would not close. SURPRISE!!! I left it leaned against a sofa for a few hours and it closed, but I knew I had a problem. (Hmmm, send back right then, or continue). I chose to layout everything and install the bags.

The rest of this post is meant to share my experiences with these bags not sell anyone on them. I do not have any interest or connection with Corbin or these bags. My opinion only.

There is quite a bit of work and detail in the installation of the bags and when I got to the step that said cut off the ends and drill two 3" holes in the underneath panel I had to decide whether I was going to go forward. Everything in the instructions worked (although this old guy had to really pay attention and go back and forth to figure a couple steps out).

For me the MOST important thing was to not tighten any bolts until the bags were in place (including and especially the frame mounts).

When everything was hanging on the vehicle I started tightening bolts in the order listed on the instructions paying attention to any stress showing up on any surface like the doors becoming hard to close (hint).

After tightening everything I did have trouble with the right bag door not closing. I added a 5mm shim to the aft end of the door locking mechanism which moved it out so the lock would close all the way. Problem solved.

Then I placed a flashlight in the bag and closed the door. WOW light everywhere. As stated here I removed both factory door seals and replaced with 1/2 inch seals on the both the bag side and the door. Problem solved.

A lot of money and I had to modify the bags, but for me, I love these bags and would do it again. I won't be scrambling to purchase anything else from Corbin though.

Ride Safe

61 - 66 of 66 Posts