Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very nice and clean fix for peace of mind! Knowing that Corbin is likely monitoring this site, I wonder why they won't address this with a fix of their own? Very poor customer relations on this product!
Since I wrote this, my driver side bag popped open three time (today being one of them). I just spent 45 minutes trying to adjust for. Will have to wait and see if it works, but the hoops did prevent the door from opening more than two inches!

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have tried contacting them direct to chat about bags.... no reply, did not want to answer questions on the bags.. If only they would fix the issues....sales would go up... simple math.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dealer purchased a set of Corbin bags for a pearl white 2016.5 SS, dealer installed, I made minor adjustment to drivers side latch and have had no problems, snug seal and doors don`t pop open.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think I MIGHT have found a way to keep the latches from popping open. The section of the bag where the latch is mounted is flimsy and flexes. I believe under certain conditions the flexing will cause the latch to pop. To test my theory that the flexing is the issue I installed wood dowels between the latch mount and the body of the saddle bags. The dowel is totally out of the way behind the latch mount. I have it placed there temporarily to test but so far the latch has not popped once since the dowels were installed. The door closes much easier. You will definitely need to get the seals mentioned earlier in this thread to make sure the door is sealed all the way around or water will get in.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think I MIGHT have found a way to keep the latches from popping open. The section of the bag where the latch is mounted is flimsy and flexes. I believe under certain conditions the flexing will cause the latch to pop. To test my theory that the flexing is the issue I installed wood dowels between the latch mount and the body of the saddle bags. The dowel is totally out of the way behind the latch mount. I have it placed there temporarily to test but so far the latch has not popped once since the dowels were installed. The door closes much easier. You will definitely need to get the seals mentioned earlier in this thread to make sure the door is sealed all the way around or water will get in.
For the big bucks all you guys paid for this admittedly good-looking product, one would think it would perform perfectly out of the box. I personally refuse to pay for an English Bentley and receive a Russian Lada.

·
Registered
195 Posts
For the big bucks all you guys paid for this admittedly good-looking product, one would think it would perform perfectly out of the box. I personally refuse to pay for an English Bentley and receive a Russian Lada.
The Corbin bags were going to be my first mod.(I had Corbin bags on my 2000 ninja 12r they were great) after reading all the issues I will do without them.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Bingo.

For the cost (them babies are NOT cheap) I expect perfection. And my definition of perfection is, well, perfection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Could you post a picture where you installed the dowel for support.

·
Registered
434 Posts
despite the warnings contained in this thread, I purchased these bags at SSITR (Cycle Springs). As I have had to do with many things motorcycle related over the years, adjustment/fine tuning after the fact is a way of life. So, I just accepted that I would have to work on the bags to get them just right - in spite of spending $3k+ on their product.

My current thinking is...when the lid has to be closed by giving it a solid rap/slam, that probably means the post on the lid is just barely engaging with the latching system on the bag body - and probably is under a good amount of stress. So, hitting a bump on the road can give that little jolt that could pop the latch open.

Moving the latch outward by installing spacers/washers permits the post to more easily engage without undo stress and seems to do a much better job securing the bag lid. I added a single washer at a time until everything latched the way I wanted it too. After having done this, I have yet to have a bag unintentionally open. But, just in case I also added the fishing line safety measure created by Sonny. Easy install for additional piece of mind.

I should mention that I noticed on one bag that the post (on the lid) was too low relative to the latching system. The post simply screws into a mounting surface, so it was easy to remove and raise the post by inserting a small washer.

Unfortunately, this may also result in insufficient contact between the inside and outside pieces of weatherstripping. Replacing the weatherstrip as noted in this thread is my next step.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE: Moved this and the following posts from "Don't buy Corbin sattlebags" to this thread.
I paid almost $4,000.00 inc. taxes for Corbin sattlebags and they told me to keep them locked so they don't fly open on the road. That does not work. How embarrassing for people to constantly point not at our cool ride but to let me know that my sattlebags are yet again open. I contacted Corbin and was told that they are very familiar with the problem and have made new and improved latched. When I sent in pictures I was informed that I in fact had the new & improved latches so they sent me info on how it can be repaired and recommended a tech do the work. I ask if a dealer did the work would they pay to correct their own shoddy work and was told that it is not company policy and I will be responsible for the cost. Each lock has about 15 washers on it and it looks like they just kept adding washers until they could get it to shut. I am sooo disappointed in that company.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for the heads up man, I was contemplating it but now I think I can live without them.
I paid almost $4,000.00 inc. taxes for Corbin sattlebags and they told me to keep them locked so they don't fly open on the road. That does not work. How embarrassing for people to constantly point not at our cool ride but to let me know that my sattlebags are yet again open. I contacted Corbin and was told that they are very familiar with the problem and have made new and improved latched. When I sent in pictures I was informed that I in fact had the new & improved latches so they sent me info on how it can be repaired and recommended a tech do the work. I ask if a dealer did the work would they pay to correct their own shoddy work and was told that it is not company policy and I will be responsible for the cost. Each lock has about 15 washers on it and it looks like they just kept adding washers until they could get it to shut. I am sooo disappointed in that company.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
231 Posts
. Thanks for the information Slinger. It's one thing to get a defective product but when the company won't stand behind it that's a completely different story. I have been looking at saddle bags and storage bags trying to see which ones would work best for me. I know now to not even consider Corbin.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Saddle, not Sattle..... Sorry, I really am not a grammer nazi by any means. But you made the same mistake a couple times so figured I would just let you know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
customer service is almost a thing of the past! they try to get out of everything and i am not just talking Corbin..........
if I run my business that way i would starve!
makes people just fix stuff themselves

41 - 60 of 66 Posts