Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Here is my experience with Corbin. When I first saw the bags I had to have them. I didn't care how much they held as I was buying for the look. The rearend of the sling was just not finished imo. I set a date with the factory for the free install. My gf and I drove up to Hollister the nite before. Was at the shop when they opened up next morning. Mike told me that this would be their first install for a customer. They had only been working on their mule up to that point. Two of their installers were working on it following the directions of their install sheets. During the install they had to call the engineers out for clarification or direction about three times. Each time the engineers took copious notes so they could revise the directions. In talking to Mike I commented that I would probably be coming back for a seat install. Mike inquired if I really wanted seats. When informed that I was serious his comment was why not right now?
He called the foreman over and I told him how I wanted them built and would also like heated ones. The bag install was completed just after lunch. By the way the diner on premises has really good food and the BLT is the best on the west coast imo. The seat install was finished right at quitting time. Both installs were free of charge. We spent the nite in Hollister and left the next morning about daybreak for San Diego. It was a chilly morn, the gf turned on the heat and commented she was as snug as a bug in a rug. Am I happy I did all this ? YOU BET......I'm a happy camper.....
Your comment on updating the install sheets makes sense. I got one of the first sets and installation instructions looked like something from harbor freight and took some personal engineering to make them work, even with that I only had about 2.5 hrs installing them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Here is my experience with Corbin. When I first saw the bags I had to have them. I didn't care how much they held as I was buying for the look. The rearend of the sling was just not finished imo. I set a date with the factory for the free install. My gf and I drove up to Hollister the nite before. Was at the shop when they opened up next morning. Mike told me that this would be their first install for a customer. They had only been working on their mule up to that point. Two of their installers were working on it following the directions of their install sheets. During the install they had to call the engineers out for clarification or direction about three times. Each time the engineers took copious notes so they could revise the directions. In talking to Mike I commented that I would probably be coming back for a seat install. Mike inquired if I really wanted seats. When informed that I was serious his comment was why not right now?
He called the foreman over and I told him how I wanted them built and would also like heated ones. The bag install was completed just after lunch. By the way the diner on premises has really good food and the BLT is the best on the west coast imo. The seat install was finished right at quitting time. Both installs were free of charge. We spent the nite in Hollister and left the next morning about daybreak for San Diego. It was a chilly morn, the gf turned on the heat and commented she was as snug as a bug in a rug. Am I happy I did all this ? YOU BET......I'm a happy camper.....
The trick is to have THEM install the bags and/or seat. I had them install my seats in Laconia last year. Wanted the bags this year, but they decided not to attend this year. NO WAY am I going to risk installing these bags, either myself or thru a dealer. It ain't worth the potential headaches. I've decided to go with the Alpha luggage racks: less expensive, will hold more cargo, just not as pretty but highly functional. Just my take.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the pic FlyBuddy. My service manager says that if the bag is locked it won't pop open. Is that true for the single and/or double lock corbin bag?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks for the pic FlyBuddy. My service manager says that if the bag is locked it won't pop open. Is that true for the single and/or double lock corbin bag?
IMOA or experience, the double lock does not "pop" open, locked or unlocked. Mine has never popped open unexpectedly.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The lock only locks the handle from being turned - it doesn't effect how well it latches. If it's prone to popping open it will do so locked or unlocked

·
Registered
978 Posts
Don't think anyone had any issues (open or closed with the double latch)..If you read up on the problem posts, it appears the first set of single latches tended to open up inadvertently whether they were locked or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Saddlebags were purchased in January 2016 and have the single latch. The passenger side has opened up 3 times after going over a bump but never when locked. So needless to say it stays locked though I can't figure out how locking it would matter since that doesn't seem affect the internal latch.

May 27... well it happened. Passenger side door popped open after leaving the gym. I think after going over a speed bump in the parking lot. Lost and expensive pair of specialized weight lifting shoes (about $200). Time to put the latch on..... grrrrr. CORBIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on you for ignoring this issue!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had mine installed by a body shop much cheaper than the dealer would charge. Bubbles in the paint, door is not cut uniformly and created 1/2 inch gap on one side. The cut on the door is so obvious to the naked eye, Corbin should have seen it before it was shipped. This is not worth the price...buyer beware!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine popped open on one side yesterday. So far no leaks after I applied water under pressure. I'm installing nets inside the compartment to prevent spillage if the door pops open. If anyone comes up with a way to improve on the latch, please post!!

Here is a description of the saddlebags from the Corbin website: Note it describes a double latch system and net inside the door. I got neither.

The Fleetliner doors secure in place with a lockable double latch system to assure that whatever you're storing is kept safe while parked and kept latched while driving. The doors will open to the side and the weight of the door is supported with a small cable. In addition the 50 liters of storage in each bag, there is also a built in net mounted to the door itself to store smaller items. The doors are constructed with thermoformed ABS for durability and a clean look. Both Saddlebags are fully lined and are weather proof to protect your cargo against the elements.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The LATCHING SYSTEM SUCKS. I have spent many hours of adjustment trying to get 100% latching. The doors just don't fit properly with the bag bodies. Yesterday, I made a simply back up to the latching issues. I have been afraid to use the bags and lose what was in them, so this is my fix. Takes about 5 minutes per door. I used 80lb mono fish line (that I had) and some screws that I had in my catch all can. The door will only open a couple of inches. I can reach in and move the hoop over the locking bolt or if riding, the hoop prevents to door from opening further. The bags look great, but the quality is a "black eye" for Corbin. Hope this may help some of you.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased my saddlebags in April 2016 and they were delivered in less than two weeks. They have the single-latch system and the driver's side door has fallen open twice, even with them locked. (The key merely locks the handle from being turned,) Lost a jacket on the highway the first time. Can't put anything in them for fear of losing it WHEN the doors fall open again. Investigating a possible Texas DTPA violation for selling a product not suitable for its intended purpose. That along with the unacceptable door fit has me second-guessing my $3300 (+ installation) expenditure. For those considering purchasing these saddlebags, do yourself a favor and read all the posts by those who own these Corbin bags.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I purchased my saddlebags in April 2016 and they were delivered in less than two weeks. They have the single-latch system and the driver's side door has fallen open twice, even with them locked. (The key merely locks the handle from being turned,) Lost a jacket on the highway the first time. Can't put anything in them for fear of losing it WHEN the doors fall open again. Investigating a possible Texas DTPA violation for selling a product not suitable for its intended purpose. That along with the unacceptable door fit has me second-guessing my $3300 (+ installation) expenditure. For those considering purchasing these saddlebags, do yourself a favor and read all the posts by those who own these Corbin bags.

Man, I came REAL close to having ordered these bags, I thought they would have resolved the issues by now. I'm SO glad I waited, ordered the Alpha racks instead, and am real happy with that MUCH less expensive product. Corbin isn't even attending the very popular Americade rally in Lake George, or the Laconia rally in NH. How lame is that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The LATCHING SYSTEM SUCKS. I have spent many hours of adjustment trying to get 100% latching. The doors just don't fit properly with the bag bodies. Yesterday, I made a simply back up to the latching issues. I have been afraid to use the bags and lose what was in them, so this is my fix. Takes about 5 minutes per door. I used 80lb mono fish line (that I had) and some screws that I had in my catch all can. The door will only open a couple of inches. I can reach in and move the hoop over the locking bolt or if riding, the hoop prevents to door from opening further. The bags look great, but the quality is a "black eye" for Corbin. Hope this may help some of you.
Very nice and clean fix for peace of mind! Knowing that Corbin is likely monitoring this site, I wonder why they won't address this with a fix of their own? Very poor customer relations on this product!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts