Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that may have seen and read my thread on getting the new Corbin Saddlebags for the Slingshot back in either Sept or Oct. you will see how happy I was to drive up to their California facility and have them installed. ALL was well until I discovered they leak when you wash or drive in rain. I do my best to stay out of that environment but as we all know that is not easy.

I found more water in the bags than out so I looked it over closely and found that the seal they provide on the boxes do not even touch the doors when closed. I contacted them and they sent me a fix. I was happy until and envelope with two 6 1/2 inch stick on 1/4 tubes (See Photo 1). They say to place on the top and that stops the leaks. Hmmm no way. I tried it but of course that did not work and the salesman in Florida told me the same thing. I contacted Florida and spoke to the manager and told him my issue. In no uncertain terms they will not support my problem other than they will send me a strip of seal to put on myself. Not sure if I will get it or not still waiting. I was told that they will not send out lids or bags to fix the problem even though the bags are still in warranty.

Since they are now on revision 4 or 5 of the doors and I have the original doors they feel they do not have to fix the problem. SO, as we now know the customer has to come up with the correct solution since they are having problems figuring it out.

For those needing help with this here's what I did and it works great. I went to J and J Auto Fabrics, 247 South Riverside Ave. Rialto, CA. 92376 and purchased enough material to fit both lengths of SEAL plus 12 inches so I can cut the parts longer to make sure it fits. See Photo 2. The oversize seal locks and I tested it for water leaks and all was good. You may need to loosen the bottom screws to allow the outer door to move outward to allow for the thicker material. It did work awesome on mine but as others are telling me the doors are not fitting the same on all boxes. The material part number is: 6150 B-2 1/4" Location C Trim Seal. They carry the material on the floor. It takes about 10 minutes per side using a rubber hammer to install it. No glue is needed since it has locking fingers to hold it into place. Material cost is around $6.70 per yard for the material I believe.

NOTE:
1. Cut the new material about 2-3 inches longer than the old one
2. Start at the bottom and go around using a rubber hammer to place it.
3. To present a gap between the to ends that butt together make sure you have between 1/8 and 3/16 longer than you need. Leaving about 6 inches not hammered in press the tip flush to the seated end already hammered in now the ends are flush, now hammer back the way you came to finish the project.
4. Test to make sure the door closes. It will be more firm for sure. You can not slam it shut but press it closed. I had to adjust the screws and allow the lid to move outward to better work with the new seals.

I found my seals were not working when I could see my locking pins from the top of the bag which you should not be able to see since the seal should be blocking all. Now with the new seals all is good. I did a water test and all dry. MIRACLE.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks Gary. We had been on the fence on whether or not to get some. We'll wait!

·
Slingshot Aficionado
1,486 Posts
SHAME ON YOU CORBIN!!! :vomit: :vomit:

·
Movin on!
298 Posts
It
SHAME ON YOU CORBIN!!! :vomit: :vomit:
It's a shame their customer service (or lack thereof) has gotten so bad. I was a loyal customer of theirs up until a couple years ago when I purchased a seat for my F6B Goldwing. It was plagued with issues which I was forced to repair on my own. Sad from what was once such a great company. :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It

It's a shame their customer service (or lack thereof) has gotten so bad. I was a loyal customer of theirs up until a couple years ago when I purchased a seat for my F6B Goldwing. It was plagued with issues which I was forced to repair on my own. Sad from what was once such a great company. :(
It's is super sad that they have taken the position as they have. I was one of the very early buyers of the bags and did a full tread on them. Customer service keeps your business going now and in the future. I am always looking for ways to fix my products to make them better or different but when there's an issue and they are fully aware of it and refusing to support the customer because it costs them money for their mistakes then that's another story. I hope they wake up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was very interested when they first came out and thought I would wait for some feed back and reviews.
Wow am I glad I waited ! with all the negative publicity and majority not being happy with them I will now pursue something else. That has also made me not consider Corbin for seats either, I will be going with PRP.
Should I ever be at a trade show or event that has Corbin products I will tastefully express my opinion about there lack of quality in Sling Shot saddle bags and failure on customer service to help out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sad to se they have no customers service to speak of. For as much as they cost there shouldn't be any issues at all. Love the looks but like many I won't be a customer due to costs and certainly the problems people are encountering with them,
Larry

Reactions: Bad Bear

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gary Fraze-
I just got mine installed last Thursday and have the same issue as well as the paint job on the black section of the bags. There are bubbles all over it. You would certainly think that they would do a better job on something that costs over $3000. I'm glad I didn't buy their seats as I had read all the negative reviews regarding them. I too went with the PRP seats and could not be happier. I was looking at the evolution bags but it appears that you can only get them as part of a package on the highest level which is not over $10,000. That's a little rick for my blood as they originally projected the whole package to be around $6000. Not willing to pay almost half of what I paid for my Slingshot on bodykit and bags. I agree customer service from Corbin appears to be lacking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gary Fraze-
I just got mine installed last Thursday and have the same issue as well as the paint job on the black section of the bags. There are bubbles all over it. You would certainly think that they would do a better job on something that costs over $3000. I'm glad I didn't buy their seats as I had read all the negative reviews regarding them. I too went with the PRP seats and could not be happier. I was looking at the evolution bags but it appears that you can only get them as part of a package on the highest level which is not over $10,000. That's a little rick for my blood as they originally projected the whole package to be around $6000. Not willing to pay almost half of what I paid for my Slingshot on bodykit and bags. I agree customer service from Corbin appears to be lacking.
If you need to order the new seals that I am now using they come from J & J and the address is listed above but their phone number is 909-874-3040 and the new material is part number
6150 B-2 1/4" Loc C. Just make sure you order about 12' more so you have enough. First check to see if yours leak and if the do then try this stuff. Its about $6.70 per yard (cheap). Did you get yours second hand or direct from Corbin? Really press them if you bought direct about the issues. I was basically told by the manager in Florida they have done to many fixes and the owner said do not exchange any more product. Mine was the first generation and they can not give me a new generation when I had the first one. They are on version 4 or 5 now.

With the new seal it works, wonder why they can not figure this out themselves.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I was REALLY ready to purchase these Corbin bags. But after hearing all the inherent problems with the bags, and that Corbin has decided to not visit Laconia, NH bike rally this year (they installed my seats last year), I decided I don't need the aggravation. The new racks by Alpha are a much lower cost and functional alternative, and I have decided to go with these. Just my take.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you need to order the new seals that I am now using they come from J & J and the address is listed above but their phone number is 909-874-3040 and the new material is part number
6150 B-2 1/4" Loc C. Just make sure you order about 12' more so you have enough. First check to see if yours leak and if the do then try this stuff. Its about $6.70 per yard (cheap). Did you get yours second hand or direct from Corbin? Really press them if you bought direct about the issues. I was basically told by the manager in Florida they have done to many fixes and the owner said do not exchange any more product. Mine was the first generation and they can not give me a new generation when I had the first one. They are on version 4 or 5 now.

With the new seal it works, wonder why they can not figure this out themselves.
Thanks! I really appreciate the input. I'll be sure to order that and give it a go!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you Gary Fraze. Do you remove the gap seal that corbin puts on their bag at the factory before you apply the 6150 b-2 1/4"? Does any worry that the bag only has one latch and might pop open? Should be add a second latch like on a Harley Tour Pack? Anybody have to shim the locking mechanism? Thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
Are they still selling with a single latch system? I got a set right after they came out and it had a double latch and I've had zero problems with the bags. Supposedly the supplier could not keep up with their sales and they went to the single latch which lots of owners had trouble with popping open, shimming, leaking, etc. Would have thought by now that they would have gone back to the double latch.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks flybuddy. Can you post a picture of the double latch system.
Not mine, I just pulled this off the net but it's their original design that worked very well. I got lucky and got a good set with these latches and I've been very happy with them and the bags. They're functional, wonderful on long trip and they really help the appearance of the SS since the Polaris design engineer was apparently sent home before he could finish off the rear. It's a shame that Corbin has a poor customer service philosophy.
SS double latch.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is my experience with Corbin. When I first saw the bags I had to have them. I didn't care how much they held as I was buying for the look. The rearend of the sling was just not finished imo. I set a date with the factory for the free install. My gf and I drove up to Hollister the nite before. Was at the shop when they opened up next morning. Mike told me that this would be their first install for a customer. They had only been working on their mule up to that point. Two of their installers were working on it following the directions of their install sheets. During the install they had to call the engineers out for clarification or direction about three times. Each time the engineers took copious notes so they could revise the directions. In talking to Mike I commented that I would probably be coming back for a seat install. Mike inquired if I really wanted seats. When informed that I was serious his comment was why not right now?
He called the foreman over and I told him how I wanted them built and would also like heated ones. The bag install was completed just after lunch. By the way the diner on premises has really good food and the BLT is the best on the west coast imo. The seat install was finished right at quitting time. Both installs were free of charge. We spent the nite in Hollister and left the next morning about daybreak for San Diego. It was a chilly morn, the gf turned on the heat and commented she was as snug as a bug in a rug. Am I happy I did all this ? YOU BET......I'm a happy camper.....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts