Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have those moments (you know the one's)... When you realize ~> YOU F***ED UP! :bored:

So the story goes:
Hot doggin' it around a turn last night after dinner, I decided to be a rebel by "smoking the tires and drifting" into my neighborhood WITHOUT traction control enabled... Well, if you're not a "drifting expert" (clearly I'm not) ~> Doing this can prove to be a costly mistake!

Lessons learned:
1. You are not immune to stupidity... Don't do stupid sh*t!
2. IF... you ever decide to "drift" again, make sure traction control is TURNED ON!
3. Never forget lessons 1 and 2!

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE (stay safe out there)!

Regards,
-Erica Starling

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ouch, that sux! But at least you didnt get hurt. FYI, there is no drifting with TC on. Itll let you spin the rear wheel, but if its spinning AND notices a side force it will stop your fun real quick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch, that sux! But at least you didnt get hurt. FYI, there is no drifting with TC on. Itll let you spin the rear wheel, but if its spinning AND notices a side force it will stop your fun real quick.
Yes, happy about walking away with just my pride hurt. And very true about the TC... I just haven't mastered the ways yet (IMHO: it's WAY too easy to spin-out). :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you're ok.
I usually 'practice' in a vacant parking lot..
Thanks Tim ~> I will do that if there's to be a "next time" (which probably will happen as I think drifting is pretty neat)! BUT, I'm now worried that I damaged my left-front swing arm... steering seems to be handling a little funny (almost like there's about 2-inches of play before the Slingshot starts making a turn).

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got caught by surprised yesterday... taking a sharp right turn in a very spirited manner, but downshifted late halfway through the apex and the backend kick out in oversteer. Traction Control caught it and saved the day. I like to think I'm a premiere driver (though statistically, most people do), but I have to admit TC has tempered my overconfidence well, and made me look like a better driver. TC will remain on watch until I find that very large and empty parking lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got caught by surprised yesterday... taking a sharp right turn in a very spirited manner, but downshifted late halfway through the apex and the backend kick out in oversteer. Traction Control caught it and saved the day. I like to think I'm a premiere driver (though statically, most people do), but I have to admit TC has tempered my overconfidence well, and made me look like a better driver. TC will remain on watch until I find that very large and empty parking lot.
I've had the same experience... TC was such a confidence builder for me. *bows head in shame by taking the training wheels off a little too early* :oops:

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
Thanks Tim ~> I will do that if there's to be a "next time" (which probably will happen as I think drifting is pretty neat)! BUT, I'm now worried that I damaged my left-front swing arm... steering seems to be handling a little funny (almost like there's about 2-inches of play before the Slingshot starts making a turn).
Most importantly, glad nobody is hurt and the Slingshot is mostly fine. Drifting in these is a lot of throttle control and knowing what is going to happen in advance of it happening--there's a thread on doing it and how the weight shift affects the rear. Aquaplaning is the other time it's easy to lose control.

As a note, the steering rack is a weak link. You might want to take it in for a laser alignment ($100) because if it can't be properly aligned you'll know right away instead of chewing through tires (and then spending the front-end money in addition to tires). The factory method (2x4s and a string) doesn't work quite as well (possibly horrible).

Congratulations on having a fun machine and making the most of it!

Slingshot at the limit of a rollover

how to get home from dealer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most importantly, glad nobody is hurt and the Slingshot is mostly fine. Drifting in these is a lot of throttle control and knowing what is going to happen in advance of it happening--there's a thread on doing it and how the weight shift affects the rear. Aquaplaning is the other time it's easy to lose control.

As a note, the steering rack is a weak link. You might want to take it in for a laser alignment ($100) because if it can't be properly aligned you'll know right away instead of chewing through tires (and then spending the front-end money in addition to tires). The factory method (2x4s and a string) doesn't work quite as well (possibly horrible).

Congratulations on having a fun machine and making the most of it.

Slingshot at the limit of a rollover

how to get home from dealer
I'm SOLD on taking her to the dealer for an alignment check/repair... (I'm fairly sure it needs to be adjusted). Thanks for the insight ~> it's much appreciated!! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've learned to love the ESP/TC on the SS. It does it's job very, very well.

If you wanna be a cowboy, watch the master in action and learn. :) And watch when he uses the parking brake carefully. ;-)

Two words: HECK YEAH!!! :punch:

OMG, that was absolutely NUTS ~> I'll take 1/8 of those skills now please! #skills

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Two words: HECK YEAH!!! :punch:

OMG, that was absolutely NUTS ~> I'll take 1/8 of those skills now please! #skills
Yeah, Tanner Faust is a badass. That dude can drive the wheels off just about anything made. If you watch the video carefully you can see about 3 prior tire marks going up that circular garage, so he practiced but hey, you could give me a month of Sundays and I doubt I could execute that spiral with 1/10th the skill he did.

But top tip to you - If you want to be a drift master... Turbo. With the turbo and ESP/TC turned off you can leave smoke at will whenever and wherever you choose. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
A note on @Blitzkrieg's comment about the parking brake: Given he's using a Choku-Dori/Manji style (also called pendulum and Scandinavian flick), that's probably a turning-brake (sometimes called a swing-brake or rally-brake) lever. Pulling operates one front brake, pushing operates the other, which does which is driver preference, often pushing operates the right brake.

It could be a rear hand brake only, but that would cause an unnecessary loss of speed that pros usually don't want versus a weight transfer. The hand brake in this case would be used after a clutch push to get the rear sliding, then the clutch would be released to get the rear spinning. This is normally done on low-power vehicles.

Given the Slingshot has a light rear and this one is 400 HP, I'd think a better option would be a weight transfer by tapping the brake pedal, which transfers grip to the front tires, then pushing the accelerator to free the rear in a controlled manner. A turning brake could then be used to get the rear to swing in the direction desired without over-swinging because of "body roll."* I'm going to guess this is correct because at 1:05 there's smoke coming off the rear tire from before the right-acute is entered, telling he juiced the rear to get it to unhook. Also notice the suspension is squatting around the turn, then pops up when there's almost no forward speed--that says he was on the front brakes to hold the line (look at the dark skid mark from a previous run). At 1:00 before the ramp we see his brake lights are functioning and on, and they are not at 1:01. Notice around the 1:04 to 1:06 corner there are no brake lights, meaning he's got control of the fronts other than by the foot pedal.

*I'm going to quote "body roll" because the Slingshot has almost no roll, but acts like it because of the weight transfer being on three wheels.

·
Registered
412 Posts
We all have those moments (you know the one's)... When you realize ~> YOU F***ED UP! :bored:

So the story goes:
Hot doggin' it around a turn last night after dinner, I decided to be a rebel by "smoking the tires and drifting" into my neighborhood WITHOUT traction control enabled... Well, if you're not a "drifting expert" (clearly I'm not) ~> Doing this can prove to be a costly mistake!

Lessons learned:
1. You are not immune to stupidity... Don't do stupid sh*t!
2. IF... you ever decide to "drift" again, make sure traction control is TURNED ON!
3. Never forget lessons 1 and 2!

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE (stay safe out there)!

Regards,
-Erica Starling

View attachment 110017 View attachment 110025 View attachment 110033 View attachment 110041 View attachment 110049 View attachment 110057

My kind of woman!!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts

So the story goes:
View attachment 110033
Great sense of humor. I literally laughed out loud at the "annoyed" annotation in that one picture.:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
At least you didn't get hurt and NO TICKET, haha. Yeah I think we are ALL guilty of doing something just like you did that's for sure!! I did something real stupid in one of those high rise parking garages. It's a pretty new high rise parking deck with REAL NICE SMOOTH CONCRETE!! Anyhow, everything went good going up all the parking deck levels. I was spinning all over the place and having a blast! It was late at night with zero parked cars in the deck.

Anyhow, on the way back down it didn't go as good for me!! Just as I came to the second floor and almost out of the parking garage, well things went a little south! I guess I was either tired at this point or dizzy, heck maybe both, haha. I was doing another fast turn and doing 180 spins on the second to last level when I totally LOST CONTROL of my Sling!

I missed a HUGE CONCRETE pillar with my Slings front end by mear inches!! I was so happy my brakes stopped me just in the nick of time. Otherwise, I probably would have totaled my Sling. So, those stupid dumb times are way behind me NOW, thank God! I don't even know why I did what I did, I guess I was thinking it would be a blast to do something like that! It was fun, I've got to admit, but I'm done with the parking garages and will leave that to the race car pros!! Just like the one in the video we have all seen over and over again!! I guess I should have re read all the safety info in that video of the pro driving in the parking garage again before doing what I did, haha.

Anyhow, I'm glad you didn't get hurt as well as no ticket!! I'm also glad I didn't total my Sling over something that's usually reserved for someone who knows better!! Sling on!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At least you didn't get hurt and NO TICKET, haha. Yeah I think we are ALL guilty of doing something just like you did that's for sure!! I did something real stupid in one of those high rise parking garages. It's a pretty new high rise parking deck with REAL NICE SMOOTH CONCRETE!! Anyhow, everything went good going up all the parking deck levels. I was spinning all over the place and having a blast! It was late at night with zero parked cars in the deck.

Anyhow, on the way back down it didn't go as good for me!! Just as I came to the second floor and almost out of the parking garage, well things went a little south! I guess I was either tired at this point or dizzy, heck maybe both, haha. I was doing another fast turn and doing 180 spins on the second to last level when I totally LOST CONTROL of my Sling!

I missed a HUGE CONCRETE pillar with my Slings front end by mear inches!! I was so happy my brakes stopped me just in the nick of time. Otherwise, I probably would have totaled my Sling. So, those stupid dumb times are way behind me NOW, thank God! I don't even know why I did what I did, I guess I was thinking it would be a blast to do something like that! It was fun, I've got to admit, but I'm done with the parking garages and will leave that to the race car pros!! Just like the one in the video we have all seen over and over again!! I guess I should have re read all the safety info in that video of the pro driving in the parking garage again before doing what I did, haha.

Anyhow, I'm glad you didn't get hurt as well as no ticket!! I'm also glad I didn't total my Sling over something that's usually reserved for someone who knows better!! Sling on!!
Glad everything worked out OK for you (nothing worse than thrashing your SS and potentially getting hurt in the process). I have some parts on the way so it'll be back to normal soon. Just a little pissed that I really can ride it right now ~> The weather is beautiful outside today!

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
I sent @WI_Squirrel a link to this thread, more for the safety aspect than anything.

She needed to take the Slingshot to Nielson's in Lake Villa, IL because Shawn has all the recall parts ready to go, but Wednesday it snowed, so not a great idea. Today (Saturday) was 37F, so we installed a F4 +5 windshield from @turbobuick and headed out. I haven't driven it, but Squirrel said the windshield wasn't any better than stock from the "cold" standpoint. Maybe it's because the stock SL windshield works well for a person her size, maybe because she likes Baker Wings better, don't know.

What was unusual is she was drifting the corners. WTF. The drifts looked a bit squirrly, but corner after corner she went sliding around them. Not really sure what to say at this point, kind of worried she's going to plant it in a ditch and be missing a few teeth.

download.jpg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts