Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased a 2020 R model. We did it after renting a 2021 model and noticed there was significantly less legroom in the 2020. Is this due to the speakers? Tweeters were on the dash on 2021 not on the 2020. Can this be fixed?

·
Registered
80 Posts
We just purchased a 2020 R model. We did it after renting a 2021 model and noticed there was significantly less legroom in the 2020. Is this due to the speakers? Tweeters were on the dash on 2021 not on the 2020. Can this be fixed?
I parked my 2020 next to a 2021 a few weeks ago and compared the two. One thing I did notice was the inside speaker pods in the 2021 were slimmer than my 2020. I rest my leg against the pods in my sling when I drive so I am assuming that there is a little more side room in the 2021. One thing I did in my sling was purchase a pair of PRP seats. I purchased them because I could customize the colors. When I installed them I was suprised to find out that the thinner seat back gave me several inches of extra leg room than the stock seats. They are wider than stock so they still give good support.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I have a 2015 Base model and have tried both the Polaris and SSVWorks floor pods and feel both take too much of my legroom. I bought a used UAS under-glovebox pod to see if that gives me enough sound and hopefully lets me get my legroom back.
As far as dash-top speakers, you might consider some Versapods or something else from this search - Amazon.com : versapod speaker enclosures. This Amazon search includes some enclosures that might allow 6.5" speakers to be surface-mounted on the top of the dash. Some of the shallow 6.5" enclosures may need a back added for better performance and fit, depending on the location you want to mount them in.
Versapods (Select Increments™ - Solving the Audio Dilemma for JEEP CJ Wrangler and Cherokee Vehicles) were originally designed for use on Jeeps with limited clearances. Versapods are designed for multi-way 4" speakers and can fit in lots of places such as on top of the dash behind a windshield and can be positioned to direct sound at the driver and passenger if you don't mind drilling holes in the top of the dash and the Pods don't interfere with vision. The 4" speaker size the Versapods accept does limit bass, though. I used Versapods with SSV Works Roll Hoop speaker enclosures for my 2015 Slingshot for a while. I got a good price on a set of used SSVWorks Roll Hoop speaker pods, so I swapped out the Versapods and after a couple years use. Here's a pic of the Versapods -

If I wanted to use just 2 speaker pods, I'd prefer the Roll Hoop speaker enclosures to place the sound behind my head and free up legroom. I wouldn't recommend using the Versapods as my primary speakers since the 4" speaker size they accept limits bass, but when used with a second set of speakers can work well with speakers balanced Front vs Rear. Other Select-Increments speaker pods that might be used are the Dash-Pods (DASH-PODS - Select Increments™), or the Mod-Pods (MOD-PODS - Select Increments™). Neither is a custom fit for the Slingshot, but might fit in certain locations with a little work.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
If you want to try smaller speakers or want more sound from your speakers to better hear music, try to find speakers with high Sensitivity. High Sensitivity means more sound volume for the same power level. Assuming an average speaker Sensitivity of 87dB, every 3dB increase in Sensitivity will make the speakers sound significantly louder at any given power output. When I went back to the SSVWorks Floor Pods and the Roll Hoop Pods, I switched to the highest efficiency (Sensitivity) speakers I could found. In this case, I used https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0767P97W6/. Power Handling - 75Wrms, 225W (peak) Sensitivity (@ 2.83V) - 95dB Frequency Response - 45Hz – 25kHz. Worked well for me. My Clarion XC2410 amp produces 50W RMS at 4 ohms but 75W at 2 Ohms, so I not only get more sound level, but my amp produces more power for even better performance and with the relatively low starting frequency, I hope they may also perform well when used in my used UAS Under-Glovebox subwoofer enclosure. By using 2 of these speakers in series, my amp will see a 4 Ohm load and will produce 150W when I bridge two channels into one. Adding a low-pass filter will allow just the lower frequencies typically associated with a subwoofer. Hope fully, they'll meet my needs w/o forcing me to spend more money! 😁

If you want to try 2 Ohm speakers. make sure that whatever radio or amp you're using is approved for operation with 2 Ohm speakers.

I wasn't clear about it in my above post, but if you can modify one of the shallow clearance speaker enclosures listed in the Amazon link, you might be able to mount the enclosure/speaker inside the frame and leave additional legroom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts