Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my dealer today to get any release updates that might have gotten this week.
He explained to me that all dealers must keep one Slingshot on the sales floor for a demo at all times.
They cannot sell it until they have another one to replace it with. He said the good news is that they are supposed to get three in the first release. But if they only get one they cannot sell it until the second arrives.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did he say when they expect the second batch? If I was a dealer this would have been my first question.
He said that they are thinking the first batch will be 1st week of October followed by another couple of units delivered in November.

I do have some higher up the chain info that is still telling me end of August to beginning of September 1st batch October 2nd batch. But shipping times will vary so first batch delivers will not be completed until October for some.
I don't know anything other than I haven't been this excited about a product in a long time!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The initial 3 will come in late October all dealers will get 3 first before any additional preorders come in. After those all arrive the preorders go out by who had them first.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
The initial 3 will come in late October all dealers will get 3 first before any additional preorders come in. After those all arrive the preorders go out by who had them first.
Will it be a continual flow of Slingshots after that? Meaning dealers will get more in November and more in December assuming they have the preorders?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I called my dealer today to get any release updates that might have gotten this week.
He explained to me that all dealers must keep one Slingshot on the sales floor for a demo at all times.
They cannot sell it until they have another one to replace it with. He said the good news is that they are supposed to get three in the first release. But if they only get one they cannot sell it until the second arrives.
I've been wondering about that. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I talked to my dealer in Lansing MI. he said that they could do whatever they wanted to with the bike. He said if he could sell it, they would. What's the use of having a demo in the showroom if you can't get em to sell?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd think a demo would be good to have on hand so you are more likely to get additional orders?? What good is a vacuum salesman with no vacuum?

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is not correct info, dealers will not be required to "keep" one on the floor. Obviously some dealers may be inclined to do so in order to help with future orders but Polaris won't have a say in things in that regard.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The dealer is not required to keep a demo in stock. Common sense and good business sense means most dealers WILL keep one to show and sell from. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is not correct info, dealers will not be required to "keep" one on the floor. Obviously some dealers may be inclined to do so in order to help with future orders but Polaris won't have a say in things in that regard.
It is correct, I verified it with the sales manager before I posted this.

Not all Polaris dealers are able to sell the Slingshot. It requires a separate application and sales agreement for the dealer to be able to sell them.
Per the Polaris dealer sales agreement the first Slingshot model must remain on the sales floor at all times for a demo. Polaris also recommends that a second model be kept for test drive purposes but that is at the discretion of the dealership.

The dealership where I will be purchasing my SS from is clearing a new special area on the sales floor just for this agreement with Polaris. The sales manager explained that they will not hold a second one because they have to many pre-orders and will not do that to waiting customers, but they absolutely cannot sell the first unit they receive per the agreement with Polaris.

He explained that they will either be receiving one unit right away for the demo or they will be receiving 3 units in the first shipment, he will know more when their sales training starts with Polaris Aug. 15th.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
I don't really believe any of it until it actually happens. Keep one? Sell all of them? Who knows.

Unfortunately my dealings with dealerships over the years has made me very,very skeptical of every word I get from them. Too many times things "change" at the last minute. If these were isolated incidents then I wouldn't have this view but it is almost universal in it's application.

·
Registered
110 Posts
^ I wouldn't know what to believe, especially since my closest dealer hasn't answered my e-mail inquires or responded to comments on other social media. I don't know why they'd have an info e-mail, post videos, etc... if they won't be replying from them. If I knew there were some on the floor I'd just drive over, but that's not the case. No way I'm calling, because I never get the right person to talk to.

My guess is that most dealers won't be going out of their way to sell these things, because the SS will sell itself. Either show up with money or GTFO. That's the same attention I got with the Honda Grom. Shit like that makes me not even want to buy from dealers.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I really wish it wasn't true because I am first in line at my dealership.
He absolutely assured me it was acurate and had called right before I posted to explain the details. Knowing I am the first guy on the list he didn't want me upset about it or not trust them.
I am very fortunate to have a great dealership to work with by the sounds of some of the other stories I've read.
I work directly with the sales manager, he is a great guy and been in the business a long time!
I called him again today to verify the accuracy so I wasn't involved in any misinformation. He just laughed and said anyone doubting this can call Polaris and ask for the dealership sales agreement requirements.
It's actually pretty cool, Polaris isn't messing around each dealer must apply for and pass a standard to qualify for Slingshot sales and support.
August 15th starts sales training and acurate release date information from Polaris for all dealerships !

·
Registered
796 Posts
I talked to my dealer in Lansing MI. he said that they could do whatever they wanted to with the bike. He said if he could sell it, they would. What's the use of having a demo in the showroom if you can't get em to sell?
There's a whole lot of folks that won't buy (or order) without a test ride. Keeping a test vehicle on hand could double or even triple sales. Theres something to be said for a hands-on touchy feely experience. Stirs the soul and creates a strong desire for ownership. That's why so many car dealers let you take a car home with you to "think about it". Demos work all to well! Hard to sell a $20,000+ item with only a brochure. Polaris, among other companies, know this all too well.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I really wish it wasn't true because I am first in line at my dealership.
He absolutely assured me it was acurate and had called right before I posted to explain the details. Knowing I am the first guy on the list he didn't want me upset about it or not trust them.
I am very fortunate to have a great dealership to work with by the sounds of some of the other stories I've read.
I work directly with the sales manager, he is a great guy and been in the business a long time!
I called him again today to verify the accuracy so I wasn't involved in any misinformation. He just laughed and said anyone doubting this can call Polaris and ask for the dealership sales agreement requirements.
It's actually pretty cool, Polaris isn't messing around each dealer must apply for and pass a standard to qualify for Slingshot sales and support.
August 15th starts sales training and acurate release date information from Polaris for all dealerships !
I agree. My dealer in south Florida says the same. Per agreement with Polaris must keep one of first three as a demo on showroom floor. He is currently constructing a special addition to his showroom just for the SS. He still expects delivery of the first three units before end of October. I am #5 on his reservation list and he says my delivery should be before the end of year if it comes in before then all the better. He says there is not much information coming out of Polaris about delivery. Hard to get an answer from them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts