Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along the way I've heard reports that the engine causes the cockpit to heat up... especially on the passenger side behind the muffler/exhaust. How much is this a concern to you?

I live in an especially warm climate... temps in the 90s/100s are common in the summer. I'm worried that it will significantly impact the enjoyability of the ride and/or put a limit on the conditions in which the ride is comfortable (wouldn't want to write off July/August entirely).

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Along the way I've heard reports that the engine causes the cockpit to heat up... especially on the passenger side behind the muffler/exhaust. How much is this a concern to you?

I live in an especially warm climate... temps in the 90s/100s are common in the summer. I'm worried that it will significantly impact the enjoyability of the ride and/or put a limit on the conditions in which the ride is comfortable (wouldn't want to write off July/August entirely).
I experienced the heat bleeding over in the footwells from the engine. This was in late July, so already quite warm. The Polaris techs told me they were already working on a solution for the production models, possibly a thicker firewall.
It's great for this time of year!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I experienced the heat bleeding over in the footwells from the engine. This was in late July, so already quite warm. The Polaris techs told me they were already working on a solution for the production models, possibly a thicker firewall.
It's great for this time of year!
So .... That's the reason for the Winter delivery!!! :(

·
Registered
265 Posts

no concern to me at all, ill be driving---lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I looked at a demo I asked the rep about the extra heat in passengers foot well. Rep told me Polaris was installing thicker heat shield on the firewall. The shield on the demo SlingShot was really thin.
I also asked about the exhaust fumes in the passenger area. Rep said he hadn't heard anything about it. I told the rep media people reported this information after there time in the SlingShot at the media sponsored event by Polaris.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I live in Oregon so a little extra heat is welcome. I may have to wear sandals, shorts, and drive around shirtless in August, but I'll make it work.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This may be where the slingshot is more motorcycle than modern car that is equipped with things like air conditioning.
Like a motorcycle you kinda have to brave the elements and sit close to things that generate a lot of heat like engines, transmissions, and exhausts.
Like a motorcycle there may be days that the temperature may be beyond your comfort level regardless of where the exhaust is or how thick the fire wall is.
Maybe it's like an old school convertible that the top has worn away and there is no A/C. The hot sun will shine down on you and there aren't any heat absorption materials to be found like in a modern car. Modern cars that are very cool cost much more money.
Anyway what I'm saying is you can thicken the firewall, you can wrap the exhaust with heat shield, you can even reroute the exhaust, you can put heat shielding material between yourself and heat generators like the Trans but at the end of the day it's an open cockpit vehicle and if it's a 100 degrees there isn't anything that will prevent you from sweating your balls off all day.
:)

·
Registered
776 Posts
This may be where the slingshot is more motorcycle than modern car that is equipped with things like air conditioning.
Like a motorcycle you kinda have to brave the elements and sit close to things that generate a lot of heat like engines, transmissions, and exhausts.
Like a motorcycle there may be days that the temperature may be beyond your comfort level regardless of where the exhaust is or how thick the fire wall is.
Maybe it's like an old school convertible that the top has worn away and there is no A/C. The hot sun will shine down on you and there aren't any heat absorption materials to be found like in a modern car. Modern cars that are very cool cost much more money.
Anyway what I'm saying is you can thicken the firewall, you can wrap the exhaust with heat shield, you can even reroute the exhaust, you can put heat shielding material between yourself and heat generators like the Trans but at the end of the day it's an open cockpit vehicle and if it's a 100 degrees there isn't anything that will prevent you from sweating your balls off all day.
:)
I agree to a point. But on a day thats in the upper 70s- low 80s. I dont want a lot of extra heat turning the SS into an oven.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I agree to a point. But on a day thats in the upper 70s- low 80s. I dont want a lot of extra heat turning the SS into an oven.
Maybe that's the cause of the delay, They are waiting for cooler weather so no one will notice how hot it gets in the cabin..........just sayin, maybe

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Maybe that's the cause of the delay, They are waiting for cooler weather so no one will notice how hot it gets in the cabin..........just sayin, maybe
For a lot of us, cooler weather is already here !! Bring the SS on !

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

Dewaine, I'm used to driving in an oven, Boss Hoss 502, Ray '66 427, Viper. All are hotter then hell when it gets over 85. The thinsulate does work a little.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I would expect some nuances from a first year production vehicle. A lot of motorcycles will extract heat from the engine by dumping it onto the riders leg or foot. The key is to keep moving I guess and over time hopefully the manufacturer addresses these kinds of nuances.

I'm sure just sitting in traffic you will notice heat build up, logical, makes sense. Hopefully motion will diffuse the heat.
I'm sure once we get them we can see for ourselves and I'm sure some venting can be made, I mean the cock pit isn't supposed to be air or water tight anyway.
I think once rolling it will be fine but it may be like the Viper where the cabin got real warm due to being surrounded by the exhaust, but again, we can address that easily enough on the SS maybe wrapping the exhaust.
I wouldn't worry too much yet, but to answer the original question I'd say anything without A/C in 100 degree heat will be a bitch.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
When I looked at a demo I asked the rep about the extra heat in passengers foot well. Rep told me Polaris was installing thicker heat shield on the firewall. The shield on the demo SlingShot was really thin.
I also asked about the exhaust fumes in the passenger area. Rep said he hadn't heard anything about it. I told the rep media people reported this information after there time in the SlingShot at the media sponsored event by Polaris.
The excess cabin heat and the exhaust were my two main concerns when I test drove. I think they have a solution for the heat, but I don't think we will see a solution to the exhaust fumes until probably the next model year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My thoughts. Keep the pedal to the floor!

I'm also wondering if you could fab in a vent that could be opened to outside air or even inside engine compartment air when it is colder outside. I ride a victory vision there is a lot of engine heat that flows across your legs. The lower wind deflectors help that tremendously. They either funnel outside air in by my legs or block it depending on where I set them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The excess cabin heat and the exhaust were my two main concerns when I test drove. I think they have a solution for the heat, but I don't think we will see a solution to the exhaust fumes until probably the next model year.
What month is the start of the new model year?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts