Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Twice in the 850 miles I have put on my SL, it became very hard to shift. The first time, I was nearly home, didn't think much of it, and it worked OK a couple of days later on my next ride. Then it did it again near the mid-way point of a 160-mile jaunt and I realized that the clutch pedal, with no pressure applied, was lower than normal. Further investigation made it obvious that the little remaining travel on the clutch pedal was not allowing the clutch to disengage fully. It obviously follows that the clutch was engaging very quickly, within the first quarter-inch or so of upward travel on the pedal.

I had the not-too-brilliant idea of just putting my left foot under the clutch pedal and pulling it up as far as it would go. Voila! Problem solved! And it stayed solved for the next 80 miles, to the end of this jaunt. I had the distinct impression that I was "refilling" the hydraulic clutch cylinder when I pulled the pedal up.

So for you much-sharper-than-I mechanics out there, does this make sense? Is maybe the clutch pedal return spring -- if there is such a thing -- too weak? And why would it happen in the first place but then stay OK for many miles to come?

Any ideas or insights will be greatly appreciated! I love my SS!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Twice in the 850 miles I have put on my SL, it became very hard to shift. The first time, I was nearly home, didn't think much of it, and it worked OK a couple of days later on my next ride. Then it did it again near the mid-way point of a 160-mile jaunt and I realized that the clutch pedal, with no pressure applied, was lower than normal. Further investigation made it obvious that the little remaining travel on the clutch pedal was not allowing the clutch to disengage fully. It obviously follows that the clutch was engaging very quickly, within the first quarter-inch or so of upward travel on the pedal.

I had the not-too-brilliant idea of just putting my left foot under the clutch pedal and pulling it up as far as it would go. Voila! Problem solved! And it stayed solved for the next 80 miles, to the end of this jaunt. I had the distinct impression that I was "refilling" the hydraulic clutch cylinder when I pulled the pedal up.

So for you much-sharper-than-I mechanics out there, does this make sense? Is maybe the clutch pedal return spring -- if there is such a thing -- too weak? And why would it happen in the first place put then stay OK for many miles to come?

sounds like it may need to be bleed - possible some air in the system. not sure though

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I would call your dealer and get this into their service department right away for a proper diagnosis. It shouldn't be happening and is something that could cause drivetrain damage. Definitely have them give it a good look over and make sure everything is operating properly.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
Sounds like the hydraulic clutch needs to be bleed! That brings the question of is the cylinder level low? If so then you may have a slow leak caused by a bad Master or slave cylinder or a leaking fitting. Also maybe a loose or broken return spring on the clutch lever,
Dealer can fix any of these pretty easy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clutch fluid level was right at the Minimum mark, so I added a touch more. Based on a whole extra 50 miles of driving, so far, so good. The problem has not recurred.

BTW, do we say "driving" or "riding?" You ride a motorcycle but this sure seems more like driving to me!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The clutch fluid level was right at the Minimum mark, so I added a touch more. Based on a whole extra 50 miles of driving, so far, so good. The problem has not recurred.

BTW, do we say "driving" or "riding?" You ride a motorcycle but this sure seems more like driving to me!
Thanks for the follow up, you had me a little nervous.:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Watch the level if it goes down more than you might have a bigger problem. Fill it up just barely pop the cover and pump the hell out of the pedal for a bit pulling back as well as pushing it down that will help force some of the air out of the line. You may make a little bit of a mess, fill again to top it off and it should be better.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey guys I have started to notice like a sucking or "breathing" noise from my engine after pushing in the clutch and coming to a stop. Anyone else notice this or am I just losing my mind?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Sounds like clutch throw out bearing going bad noise to me...

·
Registered
32 Posts
My clutch went out Sunday same noise as you heard also hard to shaft in to reverse should have known what was about to happen only 3,400 miles dam

1 - 20 of 71 Posts