Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to head out at 3:00am and was checking my fluids. I haven't checked the clutch fluid lately because you can see thru the container. But today I thought I would unscrew it and make sure it was full.

It has a shiny looking film (water I am assuming) on the top of the fluid. And the bottom of the cap is nasty. I wiped it off and it was a black funk. It is also in the container itself.

Thoughts???? Time to drain and flush all that nasty out completly and put some good blue dot5 in its place i guess.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Just about to head out at 3:00am and was checking my fluids. I haven't checked the clutch fluid lately because you can see thru the container. But today I thought I would unscrew it and make sure it was full.

It has a shiny looking film (water I am assuming) on the top of the fluid. And the bottom of the cap is nasty. I wiped it off and it was a black funk. It is also in the container itself.

Thoughts???? Time to drain and flush all that nasty out completly and put some good blue dot5 in its place i guess.

Ouch, can you say NASTY? Damn, I'm going to check mine this morning too now. I'll see what my dealer has to say when I bring it in to them tomorrow for the brake switches

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thats what mine was like when I LOST my clutch pedal. I only had just a tad over 3k on my od as well.. Not good!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
RABTECH - - how does one bleed the clutch system - there are no air bleeders (which is super dumb)
can it be done manually ???????????????????
....................................... tom n carol

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
This was my issue a week ago. Dealer said they flushed it out but had no explanation for it. They still have my SS

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't looked under to see how they want you to bleed it . I cant imagine not having a bleeder on the slave cylinder. I guess if they don't then we will have to break the line loose and let gravity and pedal pumping do it.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
2,333 Posts
I haven't looked under to see how they want you to bleed it . I cant imagine not having a bleeder on the slave cylinder. I guess if they don't then we will have to break the line loose and let gravity and pedal pumping do it.

Rab, there should bleeder on the slave but I have not looked to see if it is extended so you can access it through the hose passage on the bell housing like some other GM manuals. @Turbosling may be able to answer since they have had @Contact Tower transmission out.

You really can't fully flush the slave without removing it so may I humbly suggest rather than switching to Silicone DOT 5 and possibly having compatibility issues, gelling, and aeration, you might try StopTech 660.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/str-brake-fluid

Edit: As @Funinthesun mentions below no bleeder on the slave, it is a drain, fill pump, repeat flush. I was lazy so did it that way without even knowing it was right o_O

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
If I'm not mistaken again. they want you to bleed it with one of those vacuum pump type bleeders. There are no schradder valves on this system.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Could you tell if it was the gasket from the cap or something else causing this?
That's exactly what it is. Ever since rubber components have been farmed out to China it's been noted they have a rapid breakdown. Did you ever walk into a lawn and garden place these days? The smell from the cheap Chinese tires is overwhelming. I have no idea what the composition of rubber items imported from China is, but I assure you it's not rubber. Maybe some rubber in it, but it's likely all the unused dog and cat carcasses they render into the mixture.

·
W.H.O.R.E. (We Haul Our Ride Everywhere)
1,601 Posts
Sounds like somebody needs to start making aftermarket reservoirs ! I'm not particulary fond of the way the factory one is mounted to begin with.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I just checked my clutch reservour. The cap looks pristine, however, looking into the reservour, half way down there is NO liquid--instead, a thick, black rubbery film covering the entire surface. The clutch works fine. Guess it's time to visit the dealer.:(

1 - 20 of 71 Posts