Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the highway today and approaching an intersection with a stop sign. Someone in a white Expedition is sitting there at the intersection talking on her cellphone. I was approaching her at about 50 MPH. All of a sudden she decides to dart out and crossed right in front of me. I had to really brake hard with my horn blaring to avoid hitting her. By the way she pulled out it was apparent she was distracted by her cell phone. It I was a semi she would definitely had gotten hit. I am not impressed at all by how well my brakes work. I feel Polaris needs to upgrade them for better stopping power to say the least.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Im pretty sure the SS is designed to alter the direction of travel by 180 degrees with the correct application of over steer and hard breaking .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Driving down the highway today and approaching an intersection with a stop sign. Someone in a white Expedition is sitting there at the intersection talking on her cellphone. I was approaching her at about 50 MPH. All of a sudden she decides to dart out and crossed right in front of me. I had to really brake hard with my horn blaring to avoid hitting her. By the way she pulled out it was apparent she was distracted by her cell phone. It I was a semi she would definitely had gotten hit. I am not impressed at all by how well my brakes work. I feel Polaris needs to upgrade them for better stopping power to say the least.
Yes, the brakes suck big time!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Just to get things clear!!!! You say close call! You never got into an accident, and somehow you're able to avoid the accident because your brakes did not work well,!!!!!! Call me stupid, but what you say doesn't even make any sense

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with Mryanohio. The brakes are fine. I've put over 1,200 hard miles on my SL since I picked it up on 11/26 - mostly driving hard thru the hills around Livermore and on the Peninsula. They do exactly what I want and expect them to do. They are manual brakes, so you just need to apply more pressure.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
You just have to mash them hard if you want to stop on a dime. They are ABS. But not vacuum power assist. If you get a safe place to find a wet patch (like a empty parking lot) stomp them and see how they react. Some if you that have driven them in snow should be able to tell us if they pulse when ABS kicks in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to get things clear!!!! You say close call! You never got into an accident, and somehow you're able to avoid the accident because your brakes did not work well,!!!!!! Call me stupid, but what you say doesn't even make any sense
Yes, you are correct that I never got into an accident. After reading replies to my thread I now realize what I perceived to be wrong with the brakes. I got so used to power brakes in all the cars I have owned. I will just need to get used to applying more pressure. No big deal.

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Yes, you are correct that I never got into an accident. After reading replies to my thread I now realize what I perceived to be wrong with the brakes. I got so used to power brakes in all the cars I have owned. I will just need to get used to applying more pressure. No big deal.
They really are damn good when you get used to them! Scared myself to death early on because I was braking the same way I do in my f150. After 1000 miles I actually prefer them. They're a lot like the ss. Takes some real finesse. The whole driving experience is awesome.

·
Registered
434 Posts
How much of a pain would it be to get a power brake booster and fit it on the SS?
Could it be done?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
So then please forgive me for my reply, because we did try the ABA with first delivered here in Quebec and they work perfectly in the snow snow

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
Actually in a crisis situation the SS's standard brake with ABS will work even better because you have some "feel" before the ABS cuts in! You will be able to do a lot of braking without the ABS interfering with your performance driving. But in the crisis braking when needed it will still be there to sav your "A".

Most modern cars with power brakes just go directlly to ABS when the driver hits the brakes hard in a panic situation.

I found this out when I ran some perfornmance runs in an older Corvette with power brakes and NO ABS. In those days, it was better to relax the power boost and put more feel in the brakes to have better performance braking. Otherwise the Power brakes caused you lock up the tires too easy!

With the SS and manual brakes you can do a lot of hard braking with some "feel" before the ABS cuts in!

Reactions: MrWinn

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am putting a 1 second push button strobe light, on the front to flash at people who are waiting to cross in front of me, if im moving fast.
THOMV what color SS do you have?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Red. You would think someone would notice that color but talking on the phone and not paying attention to her surroundings is a recipe for disaster! It seems down here in Tampa someone on a motorcycle is killed every week by someone usually turning left right in the path of the motorcycle. They also say they did not see the motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts