Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Cleaning your SS.

20K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  slingshot#6 
#1 ·
Over my years of riding, I've learned many tricks for cleaning and maintaining the appearance of my bikes. To some people, it's so important that they spend more time cleaning than they do riding. Some others have the mindset to wash their bike only once a year "whether it needs it or not." Some don't ride in the rain and only use expensive polishes, so that water never hits their ride. Some (like me) use a hose or pressure washer with a bucket of soap and water. I plan to do that for the slingshot but I may need to think of something different for the interior. I know it's all waterproof but I can imagine I may have a hard time rinsing out any soap as the water circles the floor drain. I'm curious to hear thoughts and opinions and what type of products people are going to use if you plan on cleaning it.......micro fiber, brushes, sponges, regular wax, lemon pledge etc.

#6 ·
Pressure washer to knock off loose dirt & bugs (even though the 'experts' say never to do that), mild detergent in bucket of water and soft sponge for wash, pressure washer for rinse, California Squeegee & chammy to dry, Rejex for polish & wax.

#13 ·
Most every plastic windscreen is either made out of polycarbonate (Lexan) or acrylic (Plexiglas). I have always used mild detergent and water. Something like Joy or Palmolive dish soap is cheap and effective.

Novus makes some good plastic cleaners and polishes (it is a St. Paul, MN based company) for those with a bigger budget for cleaning products. I tend to keep it simple with soap and water for cleaning the bulk of the vehicle and then just use tire and wheel cleaner on those respective areas (Wesley's is excellent). I like the fact that the Slingshot is very simple in the cleaning department - as apposed to an MC with tons of chrome or my most hated enemy for cleaning, laced rims.

#20 ·
Pressure washer to knock off loose dirt & bugs (even though the 'experts' say never to do that), mild detergent in bucket of water and soft sponge for wash, pressure washer for rinse, California Squeegee & chammy to dry, Rejex for polish & wax.
That's also pretty much what I do. I use microfiber on painted surfaces. Anyone else use lemon pledge for a quick shine? Been using it on my bikes for years(on and off road.) I'm not sure what I'll use on the seats because I don't really know what material it is.

#22 ·
From personal experience nothing works better than just Warm water and a microfiber towel. Add a little dishwasher 'Jet Dry' to a hose attachment to aid in a spot free rinse.

From a Professional standpoint DO NOT use dish detergent! Dish detergent can "bite" into the clearcoat and cause hazing that cannot be removed without buffing.

#32 ·
Woah ........... Screen almost wasn't big enough! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Just kidding ... I have been told by members that the seats are pretty comfortable! I look forward to sitting in any one but the one used for her test ride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.