Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in a differs thread, KIP suggested to get the word out so here it is.
There are two electrical connectors on the power assist steering motor. There is one on the top and bottom, both oriented pointing back toward the cockpit. These wires are routed very close to the steering shaft junction were the shaft connects to the power assist motor. The junction has a bolt holding it on of course. The nut and the head of the bolt were catching and pulling my wires causing the engine to die immediately. In the middle of the road, thought we were going to have to push it to the shop. It mainly happened at slow speed and turning the wheel to the left. My check engine light did come on but no code displayed. I think if it slightly catches , it might display a trouble code as some have indicated. In my case we believe it was a safety feature that killed the engine when enough pressure was put on the connector.

In short (to late) check your wires, zip tie them away from the shaft connection and problem solved.

Credit goes to Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza Colorado Springs for the identification and fix!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I posted this in a differs thread, KIP suggested to get the word out so here it is.
There are two electrical connectors on the power assist steering motor. There is one on the top and bottom, both oriented pointing back toward the cockpit. These wires are routed very close to the steering shaft junction were the shaft connects to the power assist motor. The junction has a bolt holding it on of course. The nut and the head of the bolt were catching and pulling my wires causing the engine to die immediately. In the middle of the road, thought we were going to have to push it to the shop. It mainly happened at slow speed and turning the wheel to the left. My check engine light did come on but no code displayed. I think if it slightly catches , it might display a trouble code as some have indicated. In my case we believe it was a safety feature that killed the engine when enough pressure was put on the connector.

In short (to late) check your wires, zip tie them away from the shaft connection and problem solved.

Credit goes to Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza Colorado Springs for the identification and fix!
Can you snap a pic??

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thank you Moto, Turbosling checked mine out and I had the same problem, wires rubbing on steering knuckle. Turbosling is going to do a little re-routing so I will be all fixed up.

That is another thing, I just cannot say enough good things about Alpha, everything mentioned on this forum as a potential problem, Turbosling has graciously gone over for me, thoroughly checking and absolutely making sure everything is in good working order, and I mean everything!

Again, thank you Moto864 and a special thanks to Turbosling and Alpha for your 1st class service and attention to detail!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Thank you Moto, Turbosling checked mine out and I had the same problem, wires rubbing on steering knuckle. Turbosling is going to do a little re-routing so I will be all fixed up.

That is another thing, I just cannot say enough good things about Alpha, everything mentioned on this forum as a potential problem, Turbosling has graciously gone over for me, thoroughly checking and absolutely making sure everything is in good working order, and I mean everything!

Again, thank you Moto864 and a special thanks to Turbosling and Alpha for your 1st class service and attention to detail!
That's awesome, CT! Glad to hear the good work they're doing on your baby!

Reactions: DKF Texas

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I sent Polaris a notification about the loose EPAS wiring and they wrote back that they have been getting a few notifications about this, and have instructed dealers to repair the wiring if any vehicles come in with this trouble code or loss of power at the steering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts