Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the knock sensor engine light, that doesn't auto reset itself after the repair is made. The closest dealer is too far to drive in 100 degree weather and pay them the min hr $134 of labor. Has someone finally made a consumer tool or a cheap knock off? If not can any Polaris (NON SLINGSHOT) dealership reset it or is the tool specific to the Slingshot. This is seriously such a joke.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I have the knock sensor engine light, that doesn't auto reset itself after the repair is made. The closest dealer is too far to drive in 100 degree weather and pay them the min hr $134 of labor. Has someone finally made a consumer tool or a cheap knock off? If not can any Polaris (NON SLINGSHOT) dealership reset it or is the tool specific to the Slingshot. This is seriously such a joke.
Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. Than the computer will probably reset with code cleared -- easier and cheaper the a dealer visit.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
It isn't cheap, but this link - OBD Diagnostics, leads to software that can be used to clear error codes that don't self-clear. It's my understanding that it can be used on multiple Slingshots to read info, but not change it beyond clearing an error code, but if it can be used to reset error codes on multiple Slingshots and you have other Slingshot owners to split the cost... I have never used it and do not know for sure that it can be used on different Slingshots, but I have heard that some aftermarkets shops do use it to clear codes on Slingshots.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I drove mine for thousands of miles with the check engine light after replacing my knock sensor. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (and then overnight) did not do it. I would have been glad to pay $134. The only dealer near me in northern AZ wanted $200 and had to keep the machine overnight(???). Phoenix dealers said they may not be able to do it in one day (I'm 2 hours away) and it would be more than $200. I told them the sensor was replaced, all I needed was to reset the check engine light. But they said they 'had' to check other things and might not be able to do it all in 1 day. The dealer in Cottonwood was very good, but they stopped selling/servicing the ss several years ago. I have yet to find another good dealer in AZ. I occassionally went through the menus to make sure the knock sensor was the only code, since my light was on all the time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. Than the computer will probably reset with code cleared -- easier and cheaper the a dealer visit.
My knock sensor code has been on for over 2 years. I replaced the battery last year, so it was disconnected for about 2 hours. The code did not reset. On the other hand, letting the error code on hasn’t hurt anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My light was on for the knock sensor when I was in Maggie Valley for the SS rally and went by the dealer to have him try and reset it . I hadn't replaced the sensor but wanted to try resetting the light before going to the expense of replacing it. He reset it and it took all of about 15 minutes and at NO CHARGE!!! The light is still off and no problems. My dealer in Buford GA said it had to be replaced before the light could be reset at a cost of over $400.00 . Some of these dealers should be packing a gun and wearing a mask because they are crooks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My light was on for the knock sensor when I was in Maggie Valley for the SS rally and went by the dealer to have him try and reset it . I hadn't replaced the sensor but wanted to try resetting the light before going to the expense of replacing it. He reset it and it took all of about 15 minutes and at NO CHARGE!!! The light is still off and no problems. My dealer in Buford GA said it had to be replaced before the light could be reset at a cost of over $400.00 . Some of these dealers should be packing a gun and wearing a mask because they are crooks. And disconnecting the battery will not reset this light.
My light was on for the knock sensor when I was in Maggie Valley for the SS rally and went by the dealer to have him try and reset it . I hadn't replaced the sensor but wanted to try resetting the light before going to the expense of replacing it. He reset it and it took all of about 15 minutes and at NO CHARGE!!! The light is still off and no problems. My dealer in Buford GA said it had to be replaced before the light could be reset at a cost of over $400.00 . Some of these dealers should be packing a gun and wearing a mask because they are crooks.
Also disconnecting the battery will not clear this light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts