Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The general consensus seems to be that they threw ultra 3 season cheap tires onto this thing.

When you transition between from cheap tires like that to real sticky rubber does it make much of a performance difference or is it more of a tweak? I am not overly familiar with sporty tires so some feedback would help!

Also, would one want to replace the fronts along with the rear to avoid really bad understeer? (trying to avoid the temptation of roasting that first tire since i plan to upgrade anyways!)

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
I would change them all. The stock tires are cheap (understandably so) and 3 season. There are many many better options that will have a huge impact on performance.

If you plan on running this on a track or only on beautiful summer days then summer tires or R compound tires will be a must.

I was shocked moving from cheap 3 season tires to performance tires on vehicles in the past and I anticipate it will shock people with this vehicle.

I plan to run an OBD2 plug and get baseline performance and see what kind of difference there really is.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Good chance i will sell the Premium wheels before they touch the road! I want a custom choice!

Love that setup with SL version!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would change them all. The stock tires are cheap (understandably so) and 3 season. There are many many better options that will have a huge impact on performance.

If you plan on running this on a track or only on beautiful summer days then summer tires or R compound tires will be a must.

I was shocked moving from cheap 3 season tires to performance tires on vehicles in the past and I anticipate it will shock people with this vehicle.

I plan to run an OBD2 plug and get baseline performance and see what kind of difference there really is.
Unfortunately your not going to get an OBD2 plug, we get the Polaris something wrench plug. First really bad thing I have found about the SS.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Unfortunately your not going to get an OBD2 plug, we get the Polaris something wrench plug. First really bad thing I have found about the SS.
You can still get great specs out of the Digital Wrench consumer tool and diagnosis apps Polaris makes. OBD2 it is not, but it was the otherwise logical choice because it meant Polaris dealers could use it with their existing hardware, software, and training.

·
Vendor
5,431 Posts
The general consensus seems to be that they threw ultra 3 season cheap tires onto this thing.

When you transition between from cheap tires like that to real sticky rubber does it make much of a performance difference or is it more of a tweak? I am not overly familiar with sporty tires so some feedback would help!

Also, would one want to replace the fronts along with the rear to avoid really bad understeer? (trying to avoid the temptation of roasting that first tire since i plan to upgrade anyways!)
I've read different theories here....One being the cheap stock tires that break loose easy are there to keep less pressure on the belt. Polaris is calling them proprietary tires. I asked my stealership this question: If I snapped a belt under warranty, would you cover it if I was running another tire brand? He said "uhh.....I think so...uhh" and he looked confused. I also heard that stickier tires would cause a bog in straight line performance from a dig, and it would be slower in a drag race.....Personally, tires will be my first change.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Kenda's seems to be cheap but cost a lot for what they do.
I will drive the crap out those cheap a$$ tires and replace them with a set of Hankook RS-3 or Ventus v12 evo2.
I think the evo2 will be a lot better for DD, the RS-3's would work great on dry days and be a lot stickier.

You need to change all 3, if you keep the slippy front tires you will understeer like crazy. I did that mistake once on my supercharged MX-5 and it was a pain on the track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts