Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've seen pics with and with out the center headlights. I will be real disappointed if they do not come with them. Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
383 Posts
The US version will come with 2 in the center per legal regulations along with the outer two as well. These are classified as "aux" lights, obviously to light up the road better than the 2 center lights and to provide oncoming traffic with an idea of how wide the vehicle is. Canadians do not have the center headlight regs so their headlights are all on the outer edges.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So could you make a 6 headlight version since the brackets are there for 6 positions? The alternator has plenty of juice and I bet the wiring harnesses are all sized to carry enough current for 2 lights :). That would be cool.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Check your state equipment regulations, it may be a violation to have more than 4 headlight illuminated at once.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The US version will come with 2 in the center per legal regulations along with the outer two as well. These are classified as "aux" lights, obviously to light up the road better than the 2 center lights and to provide oncoming traffic with an idea of how wide the vehicle is. Canadians do not have the center headlight regs so their headlights are all on the outer edges.
I think that statement is off just a little bit. The Canadian requires the headlights as they are. Polaris wouldn't just change up the production just because another country doesn't require the headlights to be that way. It would be much easier to keep the split headlights for the Canadian units so that it was fewer parts and more interchangeability.

I think there is a reg or law in the US (maybe not even federal/nationwide but a few states) saying that motorcycle headlights have to be in the center of the vehicle.

Canada has some rule/law saying different.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Check your state equipment regulations, it may be a violation to have more than 4 headlight illuminated at once.
Grrrrrr.

Per Missouri the Slingshot itself is illegal

307.045. 1. Except as in this chapter provided, every motor vehicle other than a motor-drawn vehicle and other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with at least two approved headlamps mounted at the same level with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle. Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two approved headlamps. Every motorcycle equipped with a sidecar or other attachment shall be equipped with a lamp on the outside limit of such attachment capable of displaying a white light to the front.

If they are considered AUX lights which are not even listed for motorcycles but are for cars then I can not have more than four lights on at a time ....

Limitation on total of lamps lighted at one time--violation, penalty.
307.105. 1. At the times when lighted lamps are required, at least two lighted lamps shall be displayed, one on each side of the front of every motor vehicle except a motorcycle and except a motor-drawn vehicle except when such vehicle is parked subject to the provisions governing lights on parked vehicles. Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps as in this chapter required is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps or a spotlamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of an intensity greater than three hundred candlepower, not more than a total of four of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I think that statement is off just a little bit. The Canadian requires the headlights as they are. Polaris wouldn't just change up the production just because another country doesn't require the headlights to be that way. It would be much easier to keep the split headlights for the Canadian units so that it was fewer parts and more interchangeability.

I think there is a reg or law in the US (maybe not even federal/nationwide but a few states) saying that motorcycle headlights have to be in the center of the vehicle.

Canada has some rule/law saying different.
Except Polaris DID change the production just because another country required the headlights to be a different way.

US headlight array:

2015_Polaris_Slingshot-4.jpg

CAD headlight array:

2015-Polaris-Slingshot-action-11-1024x682.jpg

That's not a preproduction error or a different model. You can even find the above light housing and nose listed in the fiche as the Canadian versions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Except Polaris DID change the production just because another country required the headlights to be a different way.

US headlight array:

View attachment 1657

CAD headlight array:

View attachment 1658

That's not a preproduction error or a different model. You can even find the above light housing and nose listed in the fiche as the Canadian versions.
You misread my post. Polaris didn't make the Canadian model the way they did because they don't have a law saying that headlights have to be in the center, they made it that way because Canada said they have to be on the outside. It is a Canadian law that requires the lights be to the outside. It is a USA (or at least some states) that require a center headlight.

Polaris changed up production to accommodate Canadian laws and rules. They had to do so to be able to sell them there. They didn't change up production simply because Canada doesn't require headlight in the center as was previously stated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Grrrrrr.

Per Missouri the Slingshot itself is illegal

307.045. 1. Except as in this chapter provided, every motor vehicle other than a motor-drawn vehicle and other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with at least two approved headlamps mounted at the same level with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle. Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two approved headlamps. Every motorcycle equipped with a sidecar or other attachment shall be equipped with a lamp on the outside limit of such attachment capable of displaying a white light to the front.

If they are considered AUX lights which are not even listed for motorcycles but are for cars then I can not have more than four lights on as a time ....
No different than the lower aux lights on my Goldwing.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Sorry, dynamic. I read "The Canadian requires the headlights as they are," to mean you were saying they require them to be like the US models.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

US headlight array:

View attachment 1657

CAD headlight array:

View attachment 1658

Like #2 pic hope received like that the middle will be my fog lights :cool:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
A
You misread my post. Polaris didn't make the Canadian model the way they did because they don't have a law saying that headlights have to be in the center, they made it that way because Canada said they have to be on the outside. It is a Canadian law that requires the lights be to the outside. It is a USA (or at least some states) that require a center headlight.

Polaris changed up production to accommodate Canadian laws and rules. They had to do so to be able to sell them there. They didn't change up production simply because Canada doesn't require headlight in the center as was previously stated.
and just for a approx 150 Ss sales this year in Canada:cool:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Maybe we could coerce Contact Tower to work some more of his photo cropping magic to see what it would look like equipped with all lights!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have seen a number of bikes with auxiliary lights added, if needed change the outside lights to yellow to work around the issue of "headlights"

·
Registered
396 Posts
Are the outside lights as bright as the inside lights? Hi-beams center lights only? I'm all for extra light and being able to see and be seen in the dark but I also wonder how many pissy drivers will be hitting us with their hi-beams because of the number of lights on the front. Even so, I might add the CN lights for deer patrol on dark back roads.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The outer lights are H3. Since both the H3 and H9 bulbs have just 2 wires, I wonder how the inner headlights are supposed to be Hi/Low beams. In looking at the parts diagrams, I didn't see anything to indicate some kind of moving shield such as Xenon projectors use.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts