Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought cat delete would cause less heat? My wife said the other night “ why is it so hot near the side of my leg”?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
It's probably because the hot exhaust still exits right in front of the passenger area. Does she complain about the smell? Mine won't ride with me anymore because of the smell.
What year is your Slingshot. Polaris added more insulation in mid-2016, IIRC, but even more insulation might help. I bought this kit several years ago, but still haven't gotten around to installing it - Polaris Slingshot Complete Heat Shield Kit by DEI.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
988 Posts
I got the same report from Gail as we would ride a good amount of time. I did some investigating and we did some temp checks and test ride after installing insulation at areas where she felt heat coming from. I produced a number of videos of our test rides and show that we reduced to heat problem to a point that she no longer felt the strong heat on her right leg. She would use her hand to fell all around her leg to determine when the strong heat was coming from. As the video shows, we found it was coming from the gaps between the frame and the body siding all up and down the Passenger side. I ended up with a black towel rolled up and packed all along that area. She is a happy camper. Now I did also place some caulking from under underneath along the areas of the connection between frame and body, but this this not stop the heat. The towel was the crown jewel. I also had to pack some smaller towels up into the speaker area where you have a hole at the back going into the speaker area. A lot of heat was coming from there.
I had a 2017 Sl LE model.

Passenger Heat Solution Video

Test Ride with Thermometer readings

Now, I did a number of other things to help control the heat in the Passenger side seating area. I will give a link to my Youtube Playlist for the work on my 2015 Sl Slingshot. They had no heat shield on the firewall or installation under the floorboard.

Passenger Heat Solution Playlist for 2015 & 2016 models

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2018 SLR SE . But I thought cat delete would produce LESS heat. She never complained before.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
988 Posts
The problem I found is that it is the exhaust gas discharges down the passenger floorboard at the point I pointed out. The connection point between the frame and body is where the heat is coming through. Not sure why she did not feel it before, unless the discharge from the exhaust is directed differently now. The exhaust gas is going to be just as hot no mater what you do with the cat delete, in my opinion. Just take a bath towel and roll it and place along the edge as I describe in the video and she will be happy. Select black and it will disappear. Good Luck.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
988 Posts
@Newtoy1229$$ I took a major shot of the passenger side floorboard area from my video to show just where the answer to the heat lies. Now I also have isolation under the floorboard and floor mats. There are holes that allow exhaust to come up through the seat supports, so I place foam there to block. The photo has the key points described.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts