Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well we cut several pieces of pipe and most of the baffling out and welded up he hole put it back on with the cat pipe still in place it has a nice rumble when idling and a good sound when run up through the gears not really loud and the muffler does not get as hot as before has no exhaust smell that is noticeable ,like stock, seems to run a bit better but no dyno so might just be the sound the gutting seems to have given me what I was looking for.
Again sorry for starting all the crap.
If you are happy, that is all that matters. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I found a better picture of what you probably believe is a converter in the muffler. It isn't btw, it's just a pass through tube. Look at the picture and in the lower left is what you probably think is a converter. (enlarge the picture)
ss muffler4.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
hell yes ; I'm in florida and just finishing up the missing firewall. Been in the mid 90"s and I have been internet researching heat blankets. $75 bucks ; my wife says I'm cheap.
I also live in Florida and have added a heat barrier material to passenger, driver's and transmission tunnel. I wrapped the muffler with a Kevlar blackest and have titanium wrapped my header and down pipe. Also pugged all firewall holes with black foam. It seems to have solved the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also live in Florida and have added a heat barrier material to passenger, driver's and transmission tunnel. I wrapped the muffler with a Kevlar blackest and have titanium wrapped my header and down pipe. Also pugged all firewall holes with black foam. It seems to have solved the issue.
Mel can you post some pics of yours done, I am in Central Florida and would like to do the same to mine. I am noticing the glovebox and passenger seat area gets much hotter that the rest of the SS.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I thought some might like to hear that there is indeed a 2nd cat in the muffler.
I have had mine broken open to all 3chambers. The cat goes from 2 to 3 and is a pass through pipe but has the same cat as the down pipe.
IMG_20160823_212742900.jpg

·
Registered
619 Posts
I thought some might like to hear that there is indeed a 2nd cat in the muffler.
I have had mine broken open to all 3chambers. The cat goes from 2 to 3 and is a pass through pipe but has the same cat as the down pipe.
View attachment 68521
It seems your picture shows no evidence of your claim of a 2nd cat (I only see hollow pipes). Did you post the wrong pic or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
It seems your picture shows no evidence of your claim of a 2nd cat (I only see hollow pipes). Did you post the wrong pic or am I missing something?
@ZimDog I have been surprised by the amount of disbelief regarding the idea of an additional CAT. Honestly I would have taken a lot more images before I welded it all back up. Did I mention that I opened up all three chambers and have looked first hand at the CAT with my own two eyes. The ones that question have far less proof to counter the thought but what do I know. Thanks to some help here is the same images with the CAT material clearer for your review. I have been away from the forum for a bit, lot of negativity rolling around. Hope it's not the new state if mind.
2nd cat corrected.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
@ZimDog I have been surprised by the amount of disbelief regarding the idea of an additional CAT.... Hope it's not the new state if mind. View attachment 68593
Another cat is unusual, but so is the whole vehicle. You saw it first hand, good enough for me. I'm opening up Squirrel's when her replacement gets here and will take pictures, no problem, and thanks for the information!

·
Registered
619 Posts
@ZimDog I have been surprised by the amount of disbelief regarding the idea of an additional CAT. Honestly I would have taken a lot more images before I welded it all back up. Did I mention that I opened up all three chambers and have looked first hand at the CAT with my own two eyes. The ones that question have far less proof to counter the thought but what do I know. Thanks to some help here is the same images with the CAT material clearer for your review. I have been away from the forum for a bit, lot of negativity rolling around. Hope it's not the new state if mind. View attachment 68593
Thanks for the additional info -- I was looking at the pipes, not the round white part. Eyes getting old I guess. Didn't mean to come off negative...I'm a 'trust but verify' kind of guy.

Also, I don't believe my post represents a 'negativity' or 'a new state of mind' on the forum in general. I just believe that half of what I read on the Internet is complete B.S. and I'm highly skeptical of the other half until I satisfy myself otherwise.

If you've read this forum at all...I'm sure you'd agree there is a lot of mis-information / incorrect information / and hype that gets posted.

Again, thanks for the clarified photo and additional info.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts