Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hmm - different strokes for different folks, but I'm kinda done with the whole carbon fiber (and matte paint) thing.

I think it's starting to look stale. Real carbon turns olive green over time. I also equate exposed weave carbon fibre with high end, performance and exotic vehicles. Seeing an exposed carbon fiber splitter on a Porsche GT3 RS feels at home. Seeing it on a $20K trike toy? I don't know.

Add that, the 3M Di-Noc vinyl fake crap that the kids thrown on their Civics has bastardized it for me.

The recent posts of the white diamond wrap? That's sexy!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I still think carbon fiber is hot, especially the real stuff. Doesn't matter what kind of 20K toy you have.

S1000RR.jpg

H2R.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm - different strokes for different folks, but I'm kinda done with the whole carbon fiber (and matte paint) thing.

I think it's starting to look stale. Real carbon turns olive green over time. I also equate exposed weave carbon fibre with high end, performance and exotic vehicles. Seeing an exposed carbon fiber splitter on a Porsche GT3 RS feels at home. Seeing it on a $20K trike toy? I don't know.

Add that, the 3M Di-Noc vinyl fake crap that the kids thrown on their Civics has bastardized it for me.

The recent posts of the white diamond wrap? That's sexy!
The carbon fiber itself is UV resistant and so is a carbon/kevlar hybrid such as the one we did here. What does turn olive green are the cheap epoxies that do not contain UV inhibitors. We have been on a quest to find the clearest and strongest epoxy out there and believe we are there. Why not put it on a 20k trike toy if it can be priced similar to hydrodipping?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The carbon fiber itself is UV resistant and so is a carbon/kevlar hybrid such as the one we did here. What does turn olive green are the cheap epoxies that do not contain UV inhibitors. We have been on a quest to find the clearest and strongest epoxy out there and believe we are there. Why not put it on a 20k trike toy if it can be priced similar to hydrodipping?
\
Where is that hard top from?

·
Hold my beer and watch this!
1,319 Posts

Are these parts finished or are they still in process in these pics?

·
Registered
56 Posts
\
Where is that hard top from?
Wayne over at twist made that.

Are these parts finished or are they still in process in these pics?
No these are finished and clear coated with an automotive grade clear coat. This was our test run but with a professional grade clear coat it is not going to yellow. We are always trying different epoxies and have found others with better aesthetics and mechanical qualities for heavy use.

@DKF Texas Your blue CF should be in anyday and I want you to look at the pods we did and advise us on how much of them you want done. Those are a little more difficult but completely doable

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wayne over at twist made that.

No these are finished and clear coated with an automotive grade clear coat. This was our test run but with a professional grade clear coat it is not going to yellow. We are always trying different epoxies and have found others with better aesthetics and mechanical qualities for heavy use.

@DKF Texas Your blue CF should be in anyday and I want you to look at the pods we did and advise us on how much of them you want done. Those are a little more difficult but completely doable
That top looks really nice, Been wanting one for mine since before I even bought it. I still dont understand why there has been no progress on these hard tops.

PLEASE< SOMEONE MAKE ME A HARD TOP!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Would it be possible to use this "Carbon Fiber Skinning" technique to "Skin" the Canvas on my Twist Top?
Sounds HOTT!

Not sure if that would work though, short of buying a swatch of the real, woven stuff.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thats cool, but I am not looking to do a wrap. I am looking to use real hand laid carbon fiber. I am wondering if I can basically wrap my roof in plastic and apply the carbon fiber right to it.
I never worked with CF but I did build a glass airplane years back. If it's similar to a normal composite it will NOT stick to plastic. If you've got a cloth top almost seems like you could dope it which would make it rigid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts