Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel I must inform you folks about service/warranty work you should expect if your buying a first year Slingshot. The first few years might get very frustrating with dealers and thier service department if you need to take the slingshot back for a problem.

These dealers aren't going to have a clue on how to fix these for awhile . Sure, they will have a tech take a computer class on how to work on them, but trust me when I tell you "you most likely will know more about the Slingshot than your sevice Tech for quite sometime".

I have been there and done that with a new road product launched from a ATV, snowmobile company . I own the first year Spyder and trust me, I'm telling you the truth. Expect your slingshot to be put on the back burner for service in the fall right before snowmobile season and in the spring for ATV's. Most likely your tech will cringe everytime one comes in for service for the first few years until they learn how to fix them..

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but if it's like the service tech's for the Spyder when it first came out in 2008 be prepared to grow and learn with your dealer.

BTW.......If it drives like I hope it will, I'm possibly selling my Spyder for a down payment and not heeding my own new product warning I just posted. LOL LOL :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've heard a lot of complaints here about the Spyder, but that may have nothing to do with Polaris in general I'm not familiar) nor the SS in particular.

Having an understressed car drivetrain should help.

The biggest concern I'd have is all the computer stuff; anyone know their track record with that?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
While I agree that with any new platform there can be gremlins but this vehicle is built around a proven engine and drive train. Sure, there could be unforeseen issues where the belt comes into play but I am not too worried. Short of a design issue that would have to be handled by a dealer I already know several really good mechanics that know their way around this engine and transmission. This is not the case at all with a Spyder. I doubt anyone other than a dealer would even want to work on one of those not to mention parts availability.

Having purchased tons of power sports from my dealers spanning more than 25 years now (and utilizing their service departments) I have never had a single issue where I was put on the back burner waiting for a repair. I have had sleds go down mid-season and been back on the trail in a day or two. I had a RZR with an engine issue and my dealer got it in and repaired it a week. I have needed a tire change on my bikes on short notice and been in and out in a couple of hours same day. It helps when you establish a relationship with them beyond just coming in for emergencies and complaining about the product. Then when you do have one they are more likely to do whatever they can to help you out.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Not really worried (much) about this except for isolated items, the bevel drive being the biggest. Engine, trans, electronics, belt drive - all old hat and well proven. What else can go wrong that even a shade tree mechanic couldn't fix?

As much as I like the Mazda rotary, the mechanics at the dealers STILL know nothing about them after being out there for 40+ years. The SS will not be like that.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Why?

Bevel gears on bikes and cars are some of the least troublesome items I'm aware of.
They are not inherently troublesome but it's a new part and any company can occasionally blow it. CanAm took three tries to get the rear bevel gears in the Commander UTV right. They didn't fail catastrophically ( so far) but got very noisy. The wrong kind of noise can ruin the enjoyment of any machine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You know there will be something that will go wrong or just warrant additional refinement. Vehicles continue to evolve as time goes on. Luckily we've got a well known engine and a vehicle backed by a large reputable company.

What's really going burn you is when they release a factory performance package (think HO engine or turbo) in two years.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yeah, all "old hat" as far as the engine, trans, and electronics.....
The only thing that worries me is the gear box or whatever its called coming out at the 90 degree angle....Is that the bevel drive?
Polaris designed that and you never know what you can run into...Steel not strong enough, a gear is too small and breaks, etc, etc.....
May be under warranty but its no fun if you have a certain part that fails especially more than once.

·
Registered
86 Posts
well you can probably take it to GM if it's an engine or transmission issue ;)

my 900 is a first year model. i was a little worried about that but 3800 miles later it hasn't given me any real trouble :)

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Pfft. This thing will be bulletproof, run for 1,000,000 miles, fart rainbows, and be completely trouble free. What are you guys worried about?

The most expensive items of the vehicle are, what? the frame and the drivetrain? I am pretty sure they have already put some frames together on other vehicles and about 4,000,000 of these drivetrains were built before the ones Polaris got. The electronics come from the other Polaris products to include the gauges. Most of the rest I plan to upgrade so no worries here.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Pfft. This thing will be bulletproof, run for 1,000,000 miles, fart rainbows, and be completely trouble free. What are you guys worried about?

The most expensive items of the vehicle are, what? the frame and the drivetrain? I am pretty sure they have already put some frames together on other vehicles and about 4,000,000 of these drivetrains were built before the ones Polaris got. The electronics come from the other Polaris products to include the gauges. Most of the rest I plan to upgrade so no worries here.
I think I'm somewhere between the two of you to say that everything is going to break because it's new, it's a bit much! There will certainly be some minor problems but as Tango said I think the machine is very reliable and I do not think major problem.

In the worst case we have two years of warranty leaving two years Polaris to set a major problem (recall) ...

No stress!:cigar:

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
BRP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!---->>>>>>>HORRIBLE SERVICE FROM THEM FRENCH CANADIANS! AND MOST OF THE PEOPLE HTAT RIDE THEM ARE MEMBERS OF THE SR. CITIZEN CLUB
I must have missed my AARP card.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I can also say that BRP flew their main spyder tech from Canada to my HOUSE to fix the issues I had. AND they had the local dealer write me a check for 3000.00 for my trips to the dealers that tried to fix my alignment. BRP just transfered the money to the dealer and the dealer paid me. They also extended my warranty for an extra year.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts