Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
See what I told you. You haven't owned your SS but for a couple weeks and you are already spending money like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.:)
I know...it's awesome...I have my toy now...anything goes....lol...thx for all your help...and wisdom...and the funny stuff...haven't laughed in a while...feels good...love this crazy wild insane thing they call a slingshot....I want to live....alright I'm done...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I know...it's awesome...I have my toy now...anything goes....lol...thx for all your help...and wisdom...and the funny stuff...haven't laughed in a while...feels good...love this crazy wild insane thing they call a slingshot....I want to live....alright I'm done...
Brother, my avatar (YOLO) is not just there because it's catchy. It's because I know all too well how true it is. As we all do I suppose. We can be here today and gone tomorrow.

I try my best to grab life by the balls and hang on. :)

The SS puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. That's all the reason I need.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I want one......how much.....thx
Unfortunately, since Poalris maintains the Slingshot shouldn't be towed using a dolly, it is unlikely that any major vendor would develop such a tow dolly. To my knowledge, only two have been made, the one shown above by @Denver Bill, and one by @Ribrunner, shown in Post #6, here - Can the SS be towed using a car dolly?.
I drew up plans based primarily on @Denver Bill's design and had a local welder give me an estimate for around $800, but I never heard anything more from him, so I assume he forgot about it.

·
Slingshot Aficionado
1,486 Posts
Reactions: Justmealso and Kev

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi @biggsimm I see a few folks were kind enough to mention my name , here are some photos of a kit we offer , when considering a dolly two key things to remember are1- it must swivel, to prevent to much strain on swing arm bushings when turning tight radius turns in parking lots etc. 2- the lowest rear tire position will keep the front spoilers higher to prevent damaging them will pulling into parking lots, on and off the edge of the pavement etc.
20170822_134514_resized_1.jpg
20170822_135459_resized_2.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have to get my Sling from NJ to Key West.
Can anyone recommend, or does anyone have any experience with trailers?
Of course I'd prefer enclosed, but Uhaul & everywhere else I've looked doesn't seem to have anything that will fit a Slingshot?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have to get my Sling from NJ to Key West.
Can anyone recommend, or does anyone have any experience with trailers?
Of course I'd prefer enclosed, but Uhaul & everywhere else I've looked doesn't seem to have anything that will fit a Slingshot?
I bought my dolly from Kevin supporting vendor I tow it to Florida then to Vegas back to New YorkIt works fantastic

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi @biggsimm I see a few folks were kind enough to mention my name , here are some photos of a kit we offer , when considering a dolly two key things to remember are1- it must swivel, to prevent to much strain on swing arm bushings when turning tight radius turns in parking lots etc. 2- the lowest rear tire position will keep the front spoilers higher to prevent damaging them will pulling into parking lots, on and off the edge of the pavement etc. View attachment 162377 View attachment 162393

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I, too, now own one of Kevin's tow dollies allthingsslingshot.com) and am currently waiting for my wheels to arrive so we can try a weekend test ride. Looking forward to it as I hate driving 2 separate vehicles to the same destination. The tow dolly should allow us to spell each other if we get tired and make our travel more comfortable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I, too, now own one of Kevin's tow dollies allthingsslingshot.com) and am currently waiting for my wheels to arrive so we can try a weekend test ride. Looking forward to it as I hate driving 2 separate vehicles to the same destination. The tow dolly should let allow us to spell each other if we get tired and make our travel more comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I only need a one time tow job, from NJ to Key West. I have no desire to buy a tow rig, as I just moved here, and won't be doing any more towing after this.
I've already checked with Penski, Ryder, Budget & Uhaul, and the only option would be a Uhaul tow dolly and disconnecting the drive belt.
Does anyone have any suggestions. I placed an ad for anyone with a rollback, willing to make the trip, I'd not only pay them, but let them stay in my Key West home for a week also.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Years ago, my Daughter drove a couple's Honda cross-country for them. They advertised on Craigslist. She interviewed with them, showed her a copy of her driving record from the DMV and emailed them everyday to let them know where she was along the way.
You might try advertising via Craigslist for someone to drive your Slingshot for you. Perhaps someone who needs to go to somewhere near your destination or will accept payment to drive your vehicle for you and then fly them back home. If you're already driving a different vehicle, you might even find someone to drive the Slingshot and get them a room when you stop at night. Try checking with local colleges to see if anyone needs a ride back to Florida, etc. Who knows, you might even find a college kid who just wants to spend the summer in Florida and needs a ride. The problem may turn out to be finding someone who can drive a stick.
You might also consider buying a trailer and selling it after you get to Florida.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had a number of offers to drive her down. I just don't trust my friends enough for an adventure like that. Should it come to that, I'll do it myself.
I've used several car haulers, ranging from total nightmares, to the best one I found, Broadway Towing &Transport. They did two jobs for me and were very professional and reasonable. Don't ever use procuring agents, that's just asking for trouble and paying more.
Trying to find an old friend who had a Rollback. I'd pay him plus put he & his wife up in my Key West home, if they're interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 7648 Yes it can , I towed my ss to dealer for recall. 160 miles but I towed it backwards on a dolly that I made , worked like a charm and all the guys at dealership though it was the answer. I will try to figure out how to post pictures of it.
I am very interested in this dolly. Do you make these to sell. If not could I have the measurements and material used. I live in Pella iowa and plan on going to Maggie Valley NC next spring. Please contact me at 641-891-6553 of email me at [email protected]. I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Duane

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I don't believe @Ribrunner made any of his tow dollies for sale. He was the first or one of the first to make a tow dolly for the Slingshot. The only tow dolly available for sale that I'm aware of is sold by @Kev from allthingsslingshot.com. He sells it as a kit with most of the parts welded and ready to bolt together. The buyer needs to provide his own 13 or 14" wheels/tires. Here's the link - SS Body Kits,com Tow Dolly kit,. I bought one a few months ago and am finally getting around to giving it a test tow later this month.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts