Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new on this forum. It appears to be fantastic. Kudo's to the people who started it!
I would like to know if a car dolly can be use to transport the SS?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm new on this forum. It appears to be fantastic. Kudo's to the people who started it!
I would like to know if a car dolly can be use to transport the SS?
I don't think a car dolly would have the power to pull it down the road.... lol. Sorry, welcome to the forum. It probably would work, but Polaris says no. It should only be moved by flat bed trailer (or roll-back tow truck). Which may suggest you find out from your insurance company if they will provide that type of towing for the trike as most auto policies do not cover motorcycles, and some bike polices would not cover a roll back truck for a bike tow. I believe that the motorcycle coverage with AAA for their road side service does cover it but it's an extra charge for the premium.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Only if you disconnect the drive belt. (not convenient) Then the rear wheel can roll freely without turning any of the internal parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes it can , I towed my ss to dealer for recall. 160 miles but I towed it backwards on a dolly that I made , worked like a charm and all the guys at dealership though it was the answer. I will try to figure out how to post pictures of it.
For a really well thought out trailer for the Slingshot, check out:
www.The-Ultimate-Trailers.com Dave Kreinbrink

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
WoW...................Ribrunner.......that is a great way to tow.....
...That-Is-Thinking-Outside-Of-The-Box....great job .....Thank-You.....
tom/carol-studying..

thinking-out-side-box.jpg

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You can all decide by youself how you want to move it. All I'm going to say if what Polaris says. The owners manual page 8 says it can not be towed by a convential tow truck. (They may very well mean because of the single rear wheel, but if that was the case, they probably would have said to raise the rear and tow with the front wheels on the ground - IMHO). I just don't want to give out improper informations, so read what it says and make an informed decision. My selling dealer says his rep said to never tow it with any wheels on the ground, so who do you want to beleive?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Definately want to see a video o fthe dolly!!!! AWSOME - I love it, are you planning on selling any of these or at least a drawing of it and parts needed? I have to have one of these and there is no need to reinvent the whell - I mean the dolly... LOL

·
Registered
285 Posts
View attachment 7648 Yes it can , I towed my ss to dealer for recall. 160 miles but I towed it backwards on a dolly that I made , worked like a charm and all the guys at dealership though it was the answer. I will try to figure out how to post pictures of it.

Ok that is awesome
If you decide to manufacture these I'm in for one
PM me if you start making them

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
View attachment 7648 Yes it can , I towed my ss to dealer for recall. 160 miles but I towed it backwards on a dolly that I made , worked like a charm and all the guys at dealership though it was the answer. I will try to figure out how to post pictures of it.
Ribrunner, That is almost exactly what I had in mind when I contacted Polaris several months ago about towing the Slingshot backwards w/the rear wheel on a dolly. They told me NO, but I wouldn't be surprised if they thought I was talking about a conventional auto dolly holding the front wheels. The only change I might make would be to add some suspension. Just looked at some conventional car dollies online and they didn't look like they had suspensions.
Any idea how much that would cost as an assembled unit? Maybe you could work out a deal with one of the Forum vendors.
Damn, that thing looks Beautiful!
A few more thoughts occurred to me -
With the Slingshot's rear tire mounted on the dolly, how much clearance do you have below the front wing?
I, too, would love to see a video of loading the Slingshot onto the dolly.
If you don't start selling them or licensing them to a vendor, I wonder how hard it would be to modify a conventional tow dolly to hold the Slingshot's rear wheel. Shouldn't be too hard, I would think. The big problem would probably be front wing clearance issues if the tow dolly doesn't have a dropped axle/frame like you used.

·
Registered
84 Posts
To answer a few questions. I tried to up load a video to U Tube last night but for some reason it did not work , I may have to have a lesion on how to do that. The clearance under front wing is just three inches , a little close for comfort .I did not see any need for suspension on dolly since the SS suspension is still fully active. As far as manufacturing them , the big problem would be shipping since they would have to be truck freighted and that would be a problem for a lot of people . I have $250.00 in parts and material and about 6 hours labor . I would think any good local welding shop could weld one of these up for you very reasonable with a set of drawings .I will get a video posted at some point but for now I will just say it was very simple to load the slingshot onto dolly , just put the ramp behind wheel , push the dolly up to ramp in perfect alignment , put down wheel chocks , something under the tongue to hold it up and back the slingshot on to dolly remove the ramp and lash it down. Once the SS is loaded with parking brake set you can remove support from under the tongue You then basically have a four wheel trailer that you can move around very easily and hook up to your tow vehicle with ease. I have towed my slingshot on interstate at speeds of up 75 mph it pulls excellent and only reduced my truck fuel mileage by one tenth of a mpg . I just can`t understand why the slingshot shot or Polaris should care if the front wheels are rolling forward are backward .

1 - 20 of 119 Posts