Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
I would think the Titanium model, a weatherproof camera, and a weather proof tablet would be the only required parts.

I am thinking a hinged mount in front of the cubby in the dash so the tablet can be swung up out of the way to access the cubby. Hmmm... gonna have to add this mod to the ever-growing list. :)

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Since the rear camera is activated by a switch when the transmission is put into reverse I bet that could be tapped into and flipped on if you want to see it during normal driving :watching:

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's the way I'd rig it so you'd be able to see any oncoming vehicles in case you'd need to get out of the way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Big warning on this: if you just feed 12v in to the wire where it makes the car "think" it is in reverse, the car thinks it is in reverse. This means the reverse lights come on, and even worse, the rev limiter won't let you go more than 10-15 mph. Super bad thing. Someone rigged this up on the Slingshot I've been borrowing and it is a big problem. I almost had the thing towed because I thought it was broken.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think you would have to use a relayor diode to keep the voltage from flowing back into the othe circuitry. Perhaps on of the electronic wizards on here could figure that out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Twice my backup camera has activated while going forward. I don't remember how to recreate this, but I believe I was backing up, got into my parking position and turned off the ignition. When I restarted, the camera stayed on until the next time I turned off the switch. There is definitely some logic error programmed into the system. More importantly, pursuing this is a waste of time. The backup camera reaches infinity about 20 feet from the rear of the vehicle. Beyond that items are indistinguishable. In daylight nothing is distinguishable. The sun washes out the screen all the time. It's pretty much useless any time. At night there are no real backup lights focused on the camera's range. Good idea. Bad implementation.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I want to post my info about driving with the Backup Camera Display on. It can be done and is not hard. Some issues, but the end results outweigh them in my opinion. Take a look at the thread and my video.

Driving with Backup camera on
We must be missing something here, or maybe it is because we have grown accustomed to operating a vehicle without a center mirror, but the outside mirrors appear quite adequate for us? Possibly the only thing we may not see would be a smaller motorcycle sitting right on top of our rear tire, otherwise no matter how close it is, we are going to see at least a part of any other vehicle? Though, we do use wide angle spot mirrors to widen our vision..............

OK, I got myself curious just how big the blind spot is so I went out and set this up, I can see the tripod in both mirrors:
P1120053.JPG P1120055.JPG

Bill

·
Registered
237 Posts
For me the vehicle directly behind me is not a big concern. The vehicle sitting off my back corner at about a 45*angle out of view of the side mirrors is more of a concern.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts