Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Motorcycle classification is pretty clear. My previous reverse trike, a CAN-AM Spyder, did not have any ambiguity - it was a motorcycle, with a saddle seat, handlebars and all - so I could ride on HOV lanes in most states (even as a solo driver), and I could park in Motorcycle parking spots.

The Slingshot's classification is very inconsistent across states - so I'm never really clear about what to do if I'm not in a "slingshot is a motorcycle" state.

I'm registered in GA, where it is a motorcycle, but I travel frequently to the DMV area.

Here's what my usual route looks like from GA to the DMV -> Ga (motorcycle) -> SC (passenger vehicle) -> NC (Autocycle), DC/MD/VA (autocycle). If I pass through Tennessee instead, it's also an Autocycle.

In SC, it's also very clear - the Slingshot is a passenger vehicle - no extra benefits or helmet laws. In GA - I might as well be riding a Harley - but what exactly does it mean for me in HOV lane benefits when its classified as an Autocycle in the DMV and Tennessee?

Can you ride on the Slingshot (as a solo driver) in an Autocycle State that gives HOV lane benefits to Motorcycles with solo drivers? Can you also park in Motorcycle parkings in those states? I've seen Slingshots in DC, parked in Motorcycle spots - and these are the same folks who argue that they're not riding a motorcycle so they don't have to wear helmets (you can't have your cake and eat it too folks).

Although it's not clear to me whether an Autocycle requires a Helmet, I always wear mine anyway - even in the DMV area - but that's a longer discussion, I just want to know about HOV and Motorcycle parking benefits.

·
Registered
191 Posts
IMO, the cost and inconvenience of having the law interpreted by a LEO and then reconsidered in a local court by a judge with better things to do outweighs the benefits of using the HOV lanes and motorcycle parking. The designation of the SS as a motorcycle is a benefit that is not to be underestimated. The closer the SS gets to being classified as a "car", the closer it is to extinction...IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
AUTOCYCLES can use the HOV from Fredericksburg to DC with no transponder. The cameras ignore all MC sized plates on any vehicle. I've been doing it for 6 months. This is common knowledge for locals. The VA stretch is patrolled by State Police every rush hour, no hassles from the Blue and Grey.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO, the cost and inconvenience of having the law interpreted by a LEO and then reconsidered in a local court by a judge with better things to do outweighs the benefits of using the HOV lanes and motorcycle parking. The designation of the SS as a motorcycle is a benefit that is not to be underestimated. The closer the SS gets to being classified as a "car", the closer it is to extinction...IMO.
Agreed. I personally like it being classified as a Motorcycle - I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AUTOCYCLES can use the HOV from Fredericksburg to DC with no transponder. The cameras ignore all MC sized plates on any vehicle. I've been doing it for 6 months. This is common knowledge for locals. The VA stretch is patrolled by State Police every rush hour, no hassles from the Blue and Grey.
Cool! That's very good info - I didn't realize the size of the plates can be used as a distinction by cameras and such - but it makes perfect sense. Yes, it has a Motorcycle plate - that's my defense from now on ! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Indiana I'm plated and registered as a motorcycle so I try to follow
motorcycle protocol wherever I'm riding... That may keep me out of trouble.
I follow motorcycle protocol since I'm plated in GA as a motorcycle as well - but outside of GA, I have to play by local rules. No one will stop you from wearing a helmet even if you don't really have to - but taking advantage of Motorcycle benefits like HOV and Parking, in a state that doesn't consider it a motorcycle, will probably not fly, even if I'm registered as a motorcycle in my Home state - but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I follow motorcycle protocol since I'm plated in GA as a motorcycle as well - but outside of GA, I have to play by local rules. No one will stop you from wearing a helmet even if you don't really have to - but taking advantage of Motorcycle benefits like HOV and Parking, in a state that doesn't consider it a motorcycle, will probably not fly, even if I'm registered as a motorcycle in my Home state - but that's just my opinion.

IMO, Kagai is correct. Any easy analogy is that Florida does not mandate helmet use by the driver. That Florida law will do one no good whatsoever once one crosses into GA.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Riding the HOV lanes probably would not be as much a problem as the helmet --- state to state. Most HOV lanes I've been on indicate
motorcycle "OK" --- if licensed as a MC an office might say no but
unless he had a real bad morning just say >>>> move over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kagi, Its an easier discussion if we ignore the extra weight in the right seat (or hugging your back). Pax on a mc or SS is irrelevant in the HOV lanes of Virginia.
I've been told that Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge is one of the top suppliers of Slings. The secret sauce is great customer service, and the HOV access. As you know, the I95 Virginia "HOV" lanes are actually just Toll Roads. A 2-axle moving truck with only one human aboard pays the same toll as a Pruis with two humans. To avoid the toll, flip the transponder box switch to"3 in my car" setting, and find two slugs to provide a heat signature. Motorcycles, unicycles, tricycles, reverse tricycles are all classed as a MC FOR THE PURPOSE OF DISCUSSING HOV TOLL AVOIDANCE. But the Sling is the ONE vehicle that you do not need a MC endorsement. Plain old car vehicle operator licence is fine. VIRGINIA toll cameras ignore MC-sized plates.

(1) Code of Virginia: must wear a helmet and ANSI eyewear in a SS, unless you have a nonremovable roof and an ANSI windscreen. Or you are in an organized parade...blabla.. look it up.
(2) The District still requires a helmet for all MC riders, including the Sling . I verified that detail at the Mall on Sunday during a pleasant conversation with a shift supervisor. After the tfc stop, i looked it up. No helmet waiver, yet. DC has also been struggling with the classification of a Sling, but "We see it as a parking issue, not a # of wheels issue".
(3) Ive heard that the States' primary fear factor is motorcycle fatality statistics. When a State creates a new category of machine, many groups breathe a sigh of relief, including: MSF instructors, DMV examiners, MC advocates in our governments, and probably insuance underwriters. SS wrecks do not count against MC stats.
(4) Parking a Sling in a mc parking spot. Sir, your nose is 14 inches wider than a car and much better looking. You have 3 juicy fat tires and a 2 inch wide strip of rubber to get you home. Where i park, people take pictures. Where u propose to park, people take exception. Please park in a regular car spot. Notice how bikers wave at SS Pilots? Lets keep it that way!
I was parked in front of the Smithy Castle on Sunday morning. I left my helmet on the dash, as i always do. I hiked over to Freedom Plaza for a Turkburger. When i came back to the Sling, it was covered in tourists. Normal day. Smiles and wicked grins all around. Happy excited kids, chatty parents and singletons. Positive PR is good for our cause. Drive safe.

·
Registered
375 Posts
when i ride in my SS, I always used the HOV because it’s an autocycle and have a motorcycle license plate. Luckily, no cops have pulled me over yet, but i think they slow down to look at the ride and give me thumbs up!

As far as the day that SS becomes classified as car is the day to its extinction. I totally agree on this.. but most of the vendors here comes up with the most ridiculous products (Higher windshield, Hardtop, tow hitch, quad kit, etc) that makes the SS a freaking car.

All of these products is steering away from the main idea on how the SS was made which is 360 view, open air cockpit, no door, no roof.

I’m just saying like it is... but to each of its own and whatever you wanna do with your money is on you, but pretty soon, it will start affecting the rest when the law change because of your modifications.

·
Registered
752 Posts
As far as the day that SS becomes classified as car is the day to its extinction. I totally agree on this.. but most of the vendors here comes up with the most ridiculous products (Higher windshield, Hardtop, tow hitch, quad kit, etc) that makes the SS a freaking car.

All of these products is steering away from the main idea on how the SS was made which is 360 view, open air cockpit, no door, no roof.

I’m just saying like it is... but to each of its own and whatever you wanna do with your money is on you, but pretty soon, it will start affecting the rest when the law change because of your modifications.
Rai, when describing aa S it is always easier to name the parts that aren't a car. 3 wheels, swing arm, and safety features are about it. As long as they don't add a wheel, install a rear axle and make it safe to drive, not to worry.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm in Georgia. I always wear a helmet, use the HOV lanes where available, and park in regular car parking places. Is this required? I don't know, but I have had no issues from law enforcement yet, other than friendly, inquisitive conversations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts