Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not happy that I had to rotate the yellow top optima for the cables to fit the posts. Can I safely extend the positive cable? I see battery cable extension wires in various lengths. I want to add an 8-12” extension cable.

Is this safe or not-recommended? Is the extension connected with a bolt and nut thru the two cable end lugs? Never seen this done before. Appreciate any help.
Thank you.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I found this battery cable extension at Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/Spartan-Power-Positive-Negative-inverters/dp/B071H7D7SM/. 4 Gauge and just 1 ft long. Amazon also offers extension cables from 1-4 ft long.
I'd also recommend this type of clamp for adding additional connections in the future - Amazon.com: BaiFM Car Top-Post Battery Cable Terminal Positive/Negative Clamp Connector Kit 12V: Automotive or Amazon.com: InstallGear 2/4/8/10 Gauge AWG Positive & Negative Battery Terminal Clamp and Shims (Pair): Automotive. These special clamps are available to support a variety of cable sizes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this battery cable extension at Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/Spartan-Power-Positive-Negative-inverters/dp/B071H7D7SM/. 4 Gauge and just 1 ft long. Amazon also offers extension cables from 1-4 ft long.
I'd also recommend this type of clamp for adding additional connections in the future - Amazon.com: BaiFM Car Top-Post Battery Cable Terminal Positive/Negative Clamp Connector Kit 12V: Automotive or Amazon.com: InstallGear 2/4/8/10 Gauge AWG Positive & Negative Battery Terminal Clamp and Shims (Pair): Automotive. These special clamps are available to support a variety of cable sizes.
Thanks BKL. I think im going to painfully remove my cables and spin the optima around, add the extension and have piece of mind.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the lugs between the two cables can be connected with a bolt, nut and some sharing tube?

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
You could also buy some bolt-on clamps and get some 0 - 4 gauge wire from your auto parts store (at least the same size as current used on the Slingshot) and make some new cables to connect to the battery. If you plan on adding some new wires/ciruits, say for a new fuse block or lights, then I'd recommend using the multi-cable clamps on the battery terminals. I haven't looked at my battery recently and I can't remember how long the OEM wires are or where they connect, but I'd try to use the same connectors for wherever the cable connects from the battery. If you buy the new cables at an auto supply, they might even be able to assemble/crimp the cables for a good connection.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could also buy some bolt-on clamps and get some 0 - 4 gauge wire from your auto parts store (at least the same size as current used on the Slingshot) and make some new cables to connect to the battery. If you plan on adding some new wires/ciruits, say for a new fuse block or lights, then I'd recommend using the multi-cable clamps on the battery terminals. I haven't looked at my battery recently and I can't remember how long the OEM wires are or where they connect, but I'd try to use the same connectors for wherever the cable connects from the battery. If you buy the new cables at an auto supply, they might even be able to assemble/crimp the cables for a good connection.
Good Luck.
Thanks again. Appreciate the quick response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m not happy that I had to rotate the yellow top optima for the cables to fit the posts. Can I safely extend the positive cable? I see battery cable extension wires in various lengths. I want to add an 8-12” extension cable.

Is this safe or not-recommended? Is the extension connected with a bolt and nut thru the two cable end lugs? Never seen this done before. Appreciate any help.
Thank you.
There are cable extenders out there but you do need to be cautious. Polaris does not use the normal Gauge wire you would see in most vehicles for the cable the runs from the Alternator to the cable posts. You need to make sure you match the same Gauge size or you can cause issues. Some of the recommendations on here from Amazon may not be the correct gauge. I extended mine with a cable that slipped over the current and clamped down on the current cable with a screw. I will see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I'd feel better if I replaced the entire cable with a longer cable made the correct length.
Going one or two sizes to a larger cable size never hurt anyone.
Here's a link to a chart showing what size cable is needed to support a specific current load over a specific distance - https://www.wiringproducts.com/battery-cable nd here's an alternative chart - The 2 Things You Must Double-Check When Sizing Battery Cables - a Quick Reference
If in doubt when choosing between two sizes, the safest choice is the larger size, especially when replacing a copper wire with aluminum wire. In that case I'd probably want a wire gauge at least two sizes larger.
Here's a link to an article on DIY battery cables - Help your car’s current affairs by building a nice set of battery cables | Hagerty Media. It's about making battery cables for a 6V Model A, but still has lots of good tips. Check with you auto parts store to see if they offer a loaner battery clamp crimping tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the whole cable can be replaced with a longer cable, I would recommend that approach. Splicing a 4 gauge wire is a short cut and can lead to problems. Also, it could hasten corrosion where the different metals meet. Additionally bolting wires together without insulation could lead to an accidental short and cause damage or injury. You can buy unassembled battery cables at your local auto part store and get appropriate terminal lugs. They will cut the cable to length for you. Depending on the lug, you should also buy or borrow the appropriate crimping tool to make the cable. This way you can custom length your own.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there any drawback to the optima logo facing the front of the vehicle? I struggled to make it fit even in reverse. I had to buy a 4ga 12 inch starter cable from Autozone to replace the factory ground wire. This was easier than tiring the battery around and trying to extend the positive cable. Is there any net gain from this or just personal preference?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2016. I think you're referring to the positive cable coming out of the fuse block but there is another cable crimped with that cable going to the front of the SS. The black cable going to the front doesnt have much give either.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
The pictures clarify what you're trying to do, I think. Assuming you want to lengthen the cable with both Black and Red cables attached, just make sure you get an adapter that will handle 2 large gauge cables (the 4 gauge Dual item shown at the bottom of your link). .

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Make sure your connections are as tight as possible. A loose connection or one that can loosen invites trouble (shorting or overheating).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts