Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is not a good situation for Can Am, especially right now with the release of the Slingshot.

"US safety agency probes Can-Am motorcycle fires"
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/08/11/us-safety-agency-probes-can-am-motorcycle-fires/
This has been a problem with the Spyder for some time. It has to do with the evaporative canister filling up with raw gas from over filling the tank. Once it is parked there are fumes and possibility of fire. This problem is not inherent in every Spyder so it is obviously a defect in some of them. BRP has always been slow to acknowledge any problems that have occurred on the Spyder.

I fixed my Spyder, not knowing if it is even defective, by filling up when going out for the day. And buying a fire extinguisher for my garage. Never a problem but I have had other problems that were actually worse than having it burst into flames. Well maybe not worse than bursting into flames and burning my house down.

Using a mainstream engine should go a long way toward avoiding such issues with SS. But there will be others.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem is with the 2013 RT models .They have the new chassis designed for the 3 cylinder motor but have the old V twin in them .The V twin just does not fit right .The exhaust runs too close to the tank and the gas will actually boil in the tank .They run terribly hot in warm weather , riders report burning legs and feet .If you live where I do , not a problem .Warm southern states = big headaches . BRP has recalled these models but I hear the tape and insulation has not solved the problems . I have my spyder up for sale but only because I bought a new Honda Shadow Aero 750 . But if I can get one in Ontario I am going to get an SS .

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i had one of the first 2014s, it was black i had it for one week, then oil was leaking and smoking through the engine case, the engine case was a bad mold, BRP sent a technician to my dealer and 1 week later the replaced my black RTS with a cognac one, that one was issue free, i then got bored and sold it.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
FLSLING Wow that was awesome that Can-Am gave you a new bike and it was the right thing to do. Carol and I both have 2009 RS-SM5's, 14,500 and 16,200 miles. Both have DynoJet, Hindle, Trick air cleaner, Carol's has Givi Bags, and I ran the Purge Valve Vent hose to the rear of the bikes. We had fuels vapor smells, but eliminated them. I love our Spyders, sold my BMW K1200GT last week, no more 2-wheels. "3-Wheels - 4Ever". BUT "I~LOVE~MY SLINGSHOT"

·
Registered
170 Posts
The problem is with the 2013 RT models .They have the new chassis designed for the 3 cylinder motor but have the old V twin in them .The V twin just does not fit right .The exhaust runs too close to the tank and the gas will actually boil in the tank .They run terribly hot in warm weather , riders report burning legs and feet .If you live where I do , not a problem .Warm southern states = big headaches . BRP has recalled these models but I hear the tape and insulation has not solved the problems . I have my spyder up for sale but only because I bought a new Honda Shadow Aero 750 . But if I can get one in Ontario I am going to get an SS .

All this is right! Sorry to say!!

BUT

2011 and 2012 are the best production years for Spyders.

Offering a finders fee if you refer me a buyer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts