Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was supposed to buy a buddies SS today, he is in Florida and Im on the NC/ SC border. He was going to bring it to me and we had talked about him just renting a dolly from Uhaul and towing it here. I ended up not being able to buy his SS ( long story ) so not a issue at the moment, but he did say the dealer told him it would hurt the transmission if towed on a dolly. I don't understand how.... A straight drive tranny, left in neutral should get plenty of lubrication I would think. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
626 Posts
thats ditto for the pontiac solstice ; no towing. Some manuals require a transmission pump be operating. If it was towable it would be towed behind my rolling condo instead of on the trailer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never heard of a manual transmission that had a pump to circulate the oils.... Guess you learn something new every day

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check this link - SS Body Kits,com Tow Dolly kit,. @Kev also offers a heavy duty hitch that can carry the rear wheel of the Slingshot, but it requires at least a 3/4 ton pickup, IIRC. See - Slingshot Transporter, Wheel lift.
Thank you for the information. With the Tow Dolly it states the if you have a rear fender it requires customization. I have a rear fender so I will contact SS Body Kits and Polaris to see what must be done in order to use this dolly. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had made a Dolly few years ago and decided after having built it ,decided to sell it..
I have full rear fender and maybe 10 or 15 minutes to remove but also if I was going to pull Sling
in Dolly I would have probably taken 15 minutes more to remove front wing just for precaution ..

And had me thinking I was not going to use it maybe one time or 2 at most and to have another item
laying around and be more in the way than really using it..
But the one year going from NJ to Maggie Vally and hitting very heavy rain and having to drive on Interstate 85 at 35 to 40 mph
is what got me to building dolly..
So each has to decide how much you will use it and how far you are towing is it worth having one laying around..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for the information. With the Tow Dolly it states the if you have a rear fender it requires customization. I have a rear fender so I will contact SS Body Kits and Polaris to see what must be done in order to use this dolly. Again, thank you.
That statement about having a rear fender was a CYA after I purchased one for my 2019 SS GT which comes stock with the one and only Polaris rear fender. After ordering one last October and then waiting for 5, yes, 5 months and then loading my GT for the first time, lucky I stopped before it dropped in the cradle. The ratchet straps stuck up past the rear fender and would have destroyed it. So then I cut off the top section of the cradle and welded it back together. Then the next problem was there was not enough room to operate the ratchets. It was either move the A frame forward or rebuild the ratchets. Rebuilt the ratchets. So I thooughtI finally got it straighten out. Loaded it up, got it all tied down, pulled it out of the driveway onto the street, normal turn with the restrictor chains and recommended tires and wheels and wouldn’t you know it, the dolly tire rubs on the side of the SS! In a normal turn! So now I have to spend more money for wheel spacers to move the wheels further out. With the addition of a spare tire and mount, I getting close to $2000.000. I am not a happy camper. Worst buying experience of my life.🤬

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
That statement about having a rear fender was a CYA after I purchased one for my 2019 SS GT which comes stock with the one and only Polaris rear fender. After ordering one last October and then waiting for 5, yes, 5 months and then loading my GT for the first time, lucky I stopped before it dropped in the cradle. The ratchet straps stuck up past the rear fender and would have destroyed it. So then I cut off the top section of the cradle and welded it back together. Then the next problem was there was not enough room to operate the ratchets. It was either move the A frame forward or rebuild the ratchets. Rebuilt the ratchets. So I thooughtI finally got it straighten out. Loaded it up, got it all tied down, pulled it out of the driveway onto the street, normal turn with the restrictor chains and recommended tires and wheels and wouldn’t you know it, the dolly tire rubs on the side of the SS! In a normal turn! So now I have to spend more money for wheel spacers to move the wheels further out. With the addition of a spare tire and mount, I getting close to $2000.000. I am not a happy camper. Worst buying experience of my life.🤬
Thank-you, I was just about to push the button but I think I will wait a bit now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good to hear. Most everyone thinks this guy is great. How can you sell someone a $1500.00 product, state that it is a two week lead time, and then finally deliver 5months later! And then find out that you have to modify it to fit your STOCK Slingshot Grand Touring? And then find out that in order to make a normal turn with the recommended wheels and tires, you have to spend more money on wheel spacers to move the wheels away?
The worst buying experience

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
@GA Slinger , I have ordered several products from AllthingsSlingshot and have been happy with the response times. I was one of the early buyers of the tow dolly and have been thinking about modding my wheel carrier to accommodate a wider tire. Sorry you had such a rough experience.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
@GA Slinger , I have ordered several products from AllthingsSlingshot and have been happy with the response times. I was one of the early buyers of the tow dolly and have been thinking about modding my wheel carrier to accommodate a wider tire. Sorry you had such a rough experience.
BKL, you have not had any issues with the dolly coming in contact with the Slingshot?

Bill

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
TBH, I've set the rear wheel in place, but haven't tried towing yet. I keep getting conflicting info about Texas tow dolly laws regarding registration. I contacted the TX DMV, explained I had a two wheel tow dolly and they responded that I must register all trailers. I don't consider it to be a trailer in the conventional sense and just haven't gotten around to going to the DMV to argue my case and I also want to stop by a tow dolly retailer and see what they have to say about registration. I haven't really heard about folks having a problem with rubbing, but I'd assume it's probably a problem of the safety chain simply having been cut a little long.
My Wife and I drove from Spring, TX (about 35 miles north of Houston up toward Chicago and picked up a set of Base wheels and then drove over to Canada to meet @Kev and pickup the tow dolly before heading back home. We spent more money than shipping would've cost, but turned the trip into a mini vacation since we'd never been visited those areas. We stopped at Kokomo Opalescent Glass so my Wife could stock up on supplies for her hobby and also visited New Madrid, MO where the great earthquake happened in 1811-12..

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I've still got my Slingshot up on blocks while making some changes. I hope to get it off soon and also plan on giving it a test tow with the dolly whether I get it registered or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello BKL
I had the restricter chains set to the same as the one pictured. This was actually too restricted as I had removed the aluminum strip on the cradle and added 80 grit tread self stick strips. On the very top of the cradle where the ratchets are mounted, the tire had turned a little further than the cradle, due to the restricted chains. Just so you know, this was a standard RH turn from my driveway to the street. I even drove into the other lane. Still waiting on 2” wheel spacers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts