Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Which TEXAS dealer(s) do you have a deposit with on a Slingshot?

• ALAMO CYCLE - PLEX Alamo Cycle Sales Inc 11900 Ih 10 West San Antonio, TX 78230 210-696-2000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BRINSON POWERSPORTS 1951 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd Corsicana, TX 75110 903-874-8880

• COWBOY POWERSPORTS 1280 I-10 South Beaumont, TX 77707 409-832-5971

• FREEDOM POWERSPORTS MCKINNEY 2110 N Central Expressway #100 Mckinney, TX 75070 972-562-2077

• KILLEEN POWER SPORTS LTD 3701 E Centex Expy Killeen, TX 76543 254-634-2224

• LONE STAR INDIAN MOTORCYCLE 3914 S. Shiloh Road Suite 200 Garland, TX 75041 469-443-4820

• WOODS FUN CENTER, INC 11405 North Ih-35 Austin, TX 78753 512-459-3311

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently doing research to aide in the passage of an updated three wheel motorcycle definition which will ensure registration of the Polaris Slingshot in Texas as soon as possible. We are all tired of waiting and this unforseen DMV roadblock regarding the narrow definition of "saddle" as opposed to "seat" certainly took us all by surprise. My goal is to gather enough information and support to persuade our state representatives and senators to move quickly on this issue when the Texas state legislature convenes in January 2015. Polaris has done what they can and I am sure that they will continue to pursue this fervently. However, I believe that it is going to take a grass roots effort by actual Texas voters to get this law changed quickly. I am a private Texas citizen, just like you. I am not selling or advertising for any company.

Step 1 - Please answer the poll "Which TEXAS dealer(s) have you made a deposit with on a Slingshot?"
Step 2 - Post comments regarding amount of your deposit and dealer OTD pricing if you don't mind sharing.
Step 3 - Post name of key contact persons at your Polaris dealership if you would be so kind.
Step 4 - Private message me your contact information such as email and phone number is you don't mind me contacting you directly.

Together we can make this happen!

Thanks in advance for your assistance in this time sensitive matter.

love2udebbiesue

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am currently doing research to aide in the passage of an updated three wheel motorcycle definition which will ensure registration of the Polaris Slingshot in Texas as soon as possible. We are all tired of waiting and this unforseen DMV roadblock regarding the narrow definition of "saddle" as opposed to "seat" certainly took us all by surprise. My goal is to gather enough information and support to persuade our state representatives and senators to move quickly on this issue when the Texas state legislature convenes in January 2015. Polaris has done what they can and I am sure that they will continue to pursue this fervently. However, I believe that it is going to take a grass roots effort by actual Texas voters to get this law changed quickly. I am a private Texas citizen, just like you. I am not selling or advertising for any company.

Step 1 - Please answer the poll "Which TEXAS dealer(s) have you made a deposit with on a Slingshot?"
Step 2 - Post comments regarding amount of your deposit and dealer OTD pricing if you don't mind sharing.
Step 3 - Post name of key contact persons at your Polaris dealership if you would be so kind.
Step 4 - Private message me your contact information such as email and phone number is you don't mind me contacting you directly.

love2udebbiesue
$1K deposit, $27K purchase
Dealer contact: David Aylor-Family Powersports, San Angelo, TX

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm sorry, but you folks are going about this all wrong........... What you folks need to is what those upstanding citizens are doing in Ferguson MO.

If you don't think you are being heard you must shout " NO JUSTICE NO PEACE". Then start looting stores, set businesses on fire and cause massive mayhem. That is the only way to get exposure for your cause. :D

I did send an email in for you though, :Blackalien:

·
Registered
70 Posts
My deposit is with Team Mancuso Powersports Gulf Freeway. No OTD price negotiated yet. Point of contact is Todd Coleman. My email is easy, just my username at gmail.

I hate to say it, but I am probably pretty close to pulling my deposit and walking away for a while. I've got too much real stress to let a stupid legislative battle over a toy occupy my brain.

David

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
$500 deposit w/Lufkin Power Sports, Lufkin, TX
Base SS w/Blade shield OTD $22608
dealt w/Brandon

We need to get as many folks to participate as possible, since this gives us an accurate picture of potential sales and sales taxes lost to Texas. I had originally seen references to as many as 200 deposits having been made in Texas, so I hope we can hit similar numbers here.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My deposit is with Team Mancuso Powersports Gulf Freeway. No OTD price negotiated yet. Point of contact is Todd Coleman. My email is easy, just my username at gmail.

I hate to say it, but I am probably pretty close to pulling my deposit and walking away for a while. I've got too much real stress to let a stupid legislative battle over a toy occupy my brain.

David
Thanks David for your honesty. That information is useful as well. I hope that you soon find relief from your stress.

·
Registered
448 Posts

love2udebbiesue
As I have mentioned on another thread, I have also contacted my state representative and they are in communication with the DMV. As I personally told our State Rep. Mr. Lance Gooden, we are all calling BS on this situation, there is NO EXCUSE for this ignorance! I sent him pictures of the SS, T-Rex and Morgan with the rhetorical question, "what's the difference". I then went on to say the difference is the T-Rex and Morgan are approved and been approved for a long time and SS is not! It will be interesting to see the response back from the DMV!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally got a reply today to the email I sent to my Texas State Senator Kevin P. Eltife on November 11, 2014 - see below:

Mrs. Westfall,
On behalf of Senator Eltife, thanks for your email. We have checked into this and you are correct that the statute as written does not cover this new design. The Legislature is scheduled to go into Session in January and will likely fix it then, but realistically the new legislation passed doesn't go into effect until next June at the earliest.

There is an outside chance that there will be a temporary fix in the meantime, but we're not sure that's going to be workable when the statute is clearly in conflict with this new design.

We hope you'll be able to get your new motorcycle soon, and will do what we can to help in the Legislative Session.

Cheryl Vanek
Chief of Staff
Senator Kevin P. Eltife
P.O. Box 12068
Austin, Texas 78711
(512) 463-0101

My original email:

Subject: Registering new 3 wheel motorcycle in Texas

I just became aware that a problem has arisen with registering the new 3 wheel Slingshot motorcycle manufactured by Polaris Industries as a street legal motorcycle in the state of Texas. It appears that the Texas DMV definition of a motorcycle reads as follows: "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, other than a tractor, that is equipped with a rider's saddle and designed to have when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground." As a result I have been told that a fax went out from Polaris this week to Texas Polaris dealers that no Slingshots would be delivered to Texas dealers. Needless to say I am very upset as I have live in Texarkana, Texas and have had a deposit on my much anticipated 3 wheel Slingshot motorcycle since August with the closest dealer to me in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I may not be your typical "biker" as I am a 57 year old grandmother and elementary special education teacher close to retirement with a chronic nerve/pain condition that makes it hard for me to safely drive a traditional motorcycle and grip the handlebars and pull the clutch and brake levers by myself. I have thus been forced to be content to be the passenger behind my husband. My Honda Shadow sits covered on our carport gathering dust. This new 3 wheel motorcycle designed by Polaris solved all of my physical problems as it has a steering wheel and traditional gas and clutch pedals. It has side by side seating so my husband and I are excited to be able to ride side by side as well while we tour the country during our retirement years. I have been researching this situation and came upon a similar statute in Arizona with one key difference - it reads "seat or saddle." It appears that it is time to update the Texas definition of a motorcycle to include this designation in order to keep up with the latest design innovations. Please help us with this matter. Thank-you.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Just did a little more research and the Bill proposed by State Rep Larry Gonzales to include seat in the Texas definition of a motorcycle has a proposed effective date of September 1, 2015!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just did a little more research and the Bill proposed by State Rep Larry Gonzales to include seat in the Texas definition of a motorcycle has a proposed effective date of September 1, 2015!
Wow it's going to take them that long to put a single word in place. No wonder they are paid so well :-/

1 - 20 of 69 Posts