Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some dealers are saying that the California SS's are going to be delayed until late Feb/ early March due to emissions. Has anyone else been told the same? Apparently their explanation is that the CARB regulations has caught up to the SS and them functioning with a Standard car motor therefore it merits a "Cat" and C.A.R.B. restriction. If this is true and just the demos snuck by, then us Cali people may be waiting a while for them to come in!!! Funny how DMV says it doesn't need a smog tho..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's the first I've ever heard in California. California has categorized Slingshot as a motorcycle and therefor it does need a smog test. Most later motorcycle do have Catalytic in them already and a canisters fir California model. Unless California has change the law as of coming 2015 to have smog test on motorcycles. California is weird like that and also "Broke". In money that is...tax galore here....I guess they have a double standards on Slingshots.:mad:

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Texas certainly seems to have a double standard for the Slingshot, too. Texas allows the T-Rex, several Texas-based T-Rex clone manufacturers, the Aero-Trike (also manufactured in Texas, and the Morgan, all of which have side-by-side, bucket-type seats, yet claims the Slingshot can't be sold/registered because it doesn't have a "saddle" seat that the operator straddles.
As far as California goes, while the Slingshot is classified as a motorcycle, since it has a car engine, speculation about any delay is bound to arise over this.
I have seen several California dealers offering Slingshots for sale, so I don't think there is a problem other than slow shipping by Polaris. Good Luck and may the Slingshots be delivered!

·
Registered
155 Posts
At leastTX doesn't have the emission BS crap to deal with .. and we're solving the registration/ownership issue...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Its by California law a mc and a mc dont need a smoke check if you want a ss i know where you get one today :)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Oddly, I have yet to see a single CA model base Slingshot appear in my dealer portal yet. I wonder if this has something to do with that.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im almost positive guys and i do not disagree at all that California has classified these as a motorcycle but due to the emissions of that equal to a car engine the only ones i have seen slip by are the demos and any early deliveries.....as of Friday I was told by my dealer who just reconfirmed today that polaris has been asked to hold all SS sales until further investigation of the emissions of the vehicle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Im almost positive guys and i do not disagree at all that California has classified these as a motorcycle but due to the emissions of that equal to a car engine the only ones i have seen slip by are the demos and any early deliveries.....as of Friday I was told by my dealer who just reconfirmed today that polaris has been asked to hold all SS sales until further investigation of the emissions of the vehicle.
How about the ones that were already been sold? Do they have to be smog test in order too be driven on public road?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a new vehicle No they don't need to be if they are considered an Auto. Its after the first 4 yrs in cali but if its a motorcycle then no emissions necessary period. Just depends now on which way they go on the SS and if they change the classification.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just another bump on the road for Polaris. I don't think California will classify it as a car because it does not have a 5 mph. bumper and airbags and a roll over cage. Possibly a trike would be more appropriate. But with Slingshot having a car engine is another thing. Anyways hurry up and ship our slingshot already....pls!

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
At leastTX doesn't have the emission BS crap to deal with .. and we're solving the registration/ownership issue...
Maybe not for motorcycles, but here in Harris County, they do have emissions testing for cars. Not sure about the rest of Texas. back in Virginia, only the larger metropolitan areas required emissions testing, IIRC.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That explains why our dealers haven't received their 2nd shipments yet, but were the first to receive the 1st shipments. I'm painfully waiting for my SL in Auburn, Ca.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
CA has already received base and SL units, though not all dealers.
I still don't have any base models in my Polaris portal? That's bizarre.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts