Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen on the web that California Slingshot buyers
will have to pay a Premium Emissions Fee
on top of the otd price.
Has anyone found out what this amount will
be. Wonder if any other States will be adding on this
fee. Or is this just the great State of California.
Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have not heard of any of those kinda fees here in Mississippi, Arkansas, or Tennessee. That sucks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are three different versions US (non California), California, and Canadian. The California model is the only one that I know of that has the stricter emissions standards that needs a change and its own designation. I'm sure it will be more but have no idea on how much.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
There are three different versions US (non California), California, and Canadian. The California model is the only one that I know of that has the stricter emissions standards that needs a change and its own designation. I'm sure it will be more but have no idea on how much.
Oh right, I totally forgot it isn't classified as a motorcycle in Cali. They have to have automotive-style emissions compliance. Interesting.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
The Polaris Slingshot site says that California State Law Classification is "motor vehicle". Though I do see on the ca.gov site that a three wheeled motorcycle only requires a Class C drivers license. Interesting how they just apply whatever law they want. :wtf:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your responses. It will
be interesting to see what us California
purchasers are charged.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread.

I have not seen this extra CA emission fees in quite a while, but I suppose this unique vehicle present an opportunity...

As far as licensing requirements go, what might be the pros / cons of having the Slingshot registered or classified as motorcycle vs car?

I guess in CA a helmet would not be required? I suppose some might find that appealing...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread.

I have not seen this extra CA emission fees in quite a while, but I suppose this unique vehicle present an opportunity...

As far as licensing requirements go, what might be the pros / cons of having the Slingshot registered or classified as motorcycle vs car?

I guess in CA a helmet would not be required? I suppose some might find that appealing...
For California:

The state's motorcycle emissions standard (more stringent than US) DOES apply.

The all-rider helmet law DOES apply.

The requirement for an M1 driver's license endorsement DOES NOT apply.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sal, much appreciated. If there is a source to that info, not that I don't trust you, kindly direct me.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sal, much appreciated. If there is a source to that info, not that I don't trust you, kindly direct me.

Thanks much.
For driver's license info see the California Motorcycle Handbook (PDF), handbook page 3 under LICENSE REQUIREMENTS.

For the helmet info see California Vehicle Code section 27803 (link to search result at a CA legislature reference site). Note that the section (f) exemption is for "fully enclosed" vehicles only. Think meter maid buggy or the Corbin Sparrow (extra credit if you recognize that reference).

The DMV site isn't cooperating in my search for info on emissions certification.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sal, thanks much.

From a tuning standpoint for the 2.4 liter Ecotec, I wonder how much one will be able to do, and still pass emissions in CA...

Oh, I do remember the Corbin Sparrow alright! I totally forgot it though, recalling only after your post...

·
Registered
10 Posts
From a tuning standpoint for the 2.4 liter Ecotec, I wonder how much one will be able to do, and still pass emissions in CA...
As of now, there is no periodic inspection of motorcycles in California, with no change on the horizon. Emissions are affected by many popular motorcycle modifications, so far without legal consequence.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As of now, there is no periodic inspection of motorcycles in California, with no change on the horizon. Emissions are affected by many popular motorcycle modifications, so far without legal consequence.
Interesting. So, not being deemed a motorcycle in CA is a factor from a tuning standpoint...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Emissions are affected by many popular motorcycle modifications, so far without legal consequence.
If my memory serves (often it doesn't) I've read many articles in bike mags about aftermarket mods where the mfgr's talked about all the hoops they had to jump through to satisfy CARB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know from the car side, getting CARB is a major pain that most manufacturers and tuners would rather not deal with. That said, with CA being the most populous state, there is an appeal to jump through all the aforementioned hoops...

I've had a couple emails today with Shaye at Spirit Motorcycles in San Jose, CA. She is aware of this thread, and is seeking to get some clarification for us. I get the impression that she might even join the forum...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts